Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Plus they just bring in witnesses last minute like they're no big deal. Realistically, there's a lot of work into both sides agreeing on the witness list before the trial, making sure nobody on the jury knows them, all that shit. Although, the prosecutor didn't care about some of them, so some of that is fine.

Also speaking at a whisper while being questioned - the judge would tell both the lawyer and witnesses to talk louder so the Jury (and court typist) can hear.

Paper evidence just being waved towards the jury for one second - there should be copies or a screen where they can look at it at that moment.
Old 08-29-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I'm not sure what his color (we all know who he is the DA said to Box to come back and get him) has to do with anything, and you did see Box getting out of his car to probably arrest him didn't you? What exactly would the second season be about?
I was being sarcastic.

The thing with Box is - isn't he retired? Unless he's getting reinstated then he's just in the way.
Old 08-29-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I was being sarcastic.

The thing with Box is - isn't he retired? Unless he's getting reinstated then he's just in the way.
I figured the prosecutor was going to use him as a PI, not for him to be reinstated to the force.
Old 08-29-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bralph
I figured the prosecutor was going to use him as a PI, not for him to be reinstated to the force.

Ah. That would work.

Kind of funny he felt compelled to continue working and take the NYU Security gig. I guess some of these lonely retired cats need to keep working, because they don't have shit going on in their personal lives outside of work. Sad.
Old 08-29-16, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Yeah, the lawyer was a mess. Only saving grace is that she got exposed and fired immediately. I think the goal of this series was to show how much an event can change people (for better and/or worse). They just went too far with her character to bring her to the other side.
To be fair, we don't know a lot about her prior to this case. Her interaction with Nas gets a lot of complaints, but it's not like she was a character who was previously established as being highly professional, ethical, and always making good choices about men. What she did was incredibly stupid, but there are lawyers who do those sorts of incredibly stupid things -- why is it so far-fetched that she is one of them?
Old 08-29-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

So was the cat the reason Stone was "cured"? He get the cat and his feet get better then he gives it away and he gets hit with a ton of pressure and all of sudden it comes back.

I liked the little detail with the bench being wet when the lawyer put the drug bag on there.
Old 08-29-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
To be fair, we don't know a lot about her prior to this case. Her interaction with Nas gets a lot of complaints, but it's not like she was a character who was previously established as being highly professional, ethical, and always making good choices about men. What she did was incredibly stupid, but there are lawyers who do those sorts of incredibly stupid things -- why is it so far-fetched that she is one of them?
Because she was shown as a competent, compassionate and under-utilized female attorney of color; the sort of character that we don't get enough of in TV and movies. She was shown to be an ideal lawyer until the story found it more convenient to throw her under a bus as a device to further the plot. It was incredibly disappointing.
Old 08-29-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I was disappointed big time... too bad too, cuz it started off so good. The stuff with the lawyer kissing and bringing Naz drugs was so far fetched it really ruin the show for me.
Old 08-29-16, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Kind of funny he felt compelled to continue working and take the NYU Security gig. I guess some of these lonely retired cats need to keep working, because they don't have shit going on in their personal lives outside of work. Sad.
Ah, the wisdom of (I'm assuming) youth.
Old 08-29-16, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Because she was shown as a competent, compassionate and under-utilized female attorney of color; the sort of character that we don't get enough of in TV and movies. She was shown to be an ideal lawyer until the story found it more convenient to throw her under a bus as a device to further the plot. It was incredibly disappointing.
Yep.
Old 08-29-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Underwhelming.

I still don't know how HBO approved the show. Maybe because of the late Gandolfini?
Anyway, this show could be in any other network, but the quality wasn't enough for HBO.

Like some of you I liked some parts. Some other were really bad. Not even modern network tv shows would go that low.
Old 08-29-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

What are the thoughts on the reason Omar(don't remember his name on this show) giving up the vid of lawyer kissing Nas to Stone? Was he trying to help or hurt Nas?
Old 08-29-16, 11:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I assume he was trying to help Nas by forcing a mistrial, although I'm not sure how he knew there was new evidence.
Old 08-29-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

His motivation was never fleshed out either. He liked Nas and did all that for him cause he had "innocence"? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but was this to give the impression that the "good" people tried to hang him before being convicted but the "bad" guy sees the good in him?
Old 08-29-16, 11:45 AM

What are the thoughts on the reason Omar(don't remember his name on this show) giving up the vid of lawyer kissing Nas to Stone? Was he trying to help or hurt Nas?
As Alan Sepinwall pointed out on his recap, Freddy was destined to lose Nas either way because if he were convicted of first-degree murder, he gets transferred to another facility, not staying at Rikers. Might as well help him get free, Nas isn't going to be of any use to Freddy sitting at another Maximum Security prison.
Old 08-29-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

His motivation was never fleshed out either. He liked Nas and did all that for him cause he had "innocence"? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but was this to give the impression that the "good" people tried to hang him before being convicted but the "bad" guy sees the good in him?

Yeah, pretty much. Freddie is as hardcore as they come, but smart, and saw that Nas wasn't shit. He took him under his tutelage and made him a warrior of sorts - he brought out what Nas already had on the downlow.

Freddie also saw that he wasn't no killer either.
Old 08-29-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm surprised Freddie didn't take or ask for education/college type lessons from Naz. When they first met, he mentioned that he liked that Naz had book smarts. Not that Naz is a professor or anything, but that's what Freddie said he was interested in.
Old 08-29-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm surprised Freddie didn't take or ask for education/college type lessons from Naz. When they first met, he mentioned that he liked that Naz had book smarts.
Yup. What could have been an interesting relationship devolved to Nas being a drug mule for "protection" which was never needed after he had it.
Old 08-29-16, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm surprised Freddie didn't take or ask for education/college type lessons from Naz. When they first met, he mentioned that he liked that Naz had book smarts. Not that Naz is a professor or anything, but that's what Freddie said he was interested in.
Yep, that thread was dropped. Perhaps it was in the script but they didn't have enough time left after the interminable cat torture, and feet scratching, scenes.
Old 08-29-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I am confused on that whole thing. The scene we had appeared to me that the DVD was coming in to Freddy, not out. Was it coming from the guard? Then all of a sudden Stone has it. So Freddy sent it to Stone? I had worked it out in my head that Box sent it to Stone and also gave it to a guard at the prison to get to Nas and the guard gave it to Freddy instead of Nas directly. I know we also had the scene where Box denied sending it to Stone, but I took that as him just not wanting to own up to it.
Old 08-29-16, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by bralph
I am confused on that whole thing. The scene we had appeared to me that the DVD was coming in to Freddy, not out. Was it coming from the guard? Then all of a sudden Stone has it. So Freddy sent it to Stone? I had worked it out in my head that Box sent it to Stone and also gave it to a guard at the prison to get to Nas and the guard gave it to Freddy instead of Nas directly. I know we also had the scene where Box denied sending it to Stone, but I took that as him just not wanting to own up to it.
Nope. It was Freddie, somehow. The one thing I really respected about the finale was that no matter how injust it seemed, Box would not cross the line to help the defense, even as he pushed his investigation forward. Felt very true to his character and (unlike just about everything else in the finale) went unexpectedly against the normal conventions of the genre.
Old 08-29-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Freddie owned the guards, they were watching Nas and the lawyer the entire time.
Old 08-29-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

I thought it was an entertaining enough series, despite its flaws. I kept expecting something big to happen at the end...something like Naz getting killed or put in a situation where he stays in prison.

If there is a 2nd season, I'd watch.
Old 08-29-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Underwhelming.

I still don't know how HBO approved the show. Maybe because of the late Gandolfini?
Anyway, this show could be in any other network, but the quality wasn't enough for HBO.

Like some of you I liked some parts. Some other were really bad. Not even modern network tv shows would go that low.
This probably explains why HBO turned down this show a couple of times. I think they just finally went through with it out of respect for Gandolfini's memory. But even when Gandolfini was alive, they turned it down once. And one other reason they may have greenlit it after his death was that De Niro was attached, but had to drop out.
Old 08-29-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Drug mule lawyer is monumentally stupid. That level of stupidity that makes her kiss him and then smuggle drugs for him isn't believable.

So with all the video footage around, no one except Box thought to look at earlier footage of Andrea to see if someone else could have been following her or anything?

It was kind of a lame ending, but I'm glad we didn't get a scene with cops arresting Ray. I like that it was left at Box investigating him and us not knowing if it's actually going to go anywhere. At the same time, the really shouldn't continue this storyline if they do a Season 2 - there's nowhere really to go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.