Reload this Page >

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Old 08-28-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Night Of (HBO 8 episode limited series) S: John Turturro

Not sure how I feel now that I've seen the whole thing. Some really good parts, and some really terrible parts. I liked that they didn't play it safe narratively -- introducing a very likely real murderer in the last episode, for example -- and I liked a lot of the character moments. But some of the dramatic twists were just a little too ridiculous. And the legal procedure was just awful. That's fine for a show like The Good Wife, but I was expecting a much more accurate depiction of a courtroom than we got here. Oh well. I don't regret the time I spent watching it, but unless I feel differently after marinating in it for a few days, I probably won't give this season a rewatch.
Old 08-28-16, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kind of torn on this also. Loved the first and last episodes. But there was just too much filler in the six episodes in between. This could have easily been a 2 1/2 hour movie. I like Turturro, but can't help but wonder if Gandolfini lived to play the role if it would have made me warm up to it a little more. Don't regret watching but most likely not something I would ever revisit.
Old 08-28-16, 10:47 PM

The lawyer testifies that she's scared of a witness? She decides to put him on the stand? Hopefully they show this to law students.
And after much animal abuse we get a Breakfast as Tiffany's cat moment. So much wrong with this show, but I don't want to type all night.
Old 08-28-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Ultimately a waste of time.
Old 08-28-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked the end scene, but the rest of the finale was a real disappointment. I just dont know if, in the end, it was worth the time put into it but oh well. You win some, you lose some.
Old 08-28-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

The fact that a video of the miss showed up but not the video of the next meeting was a bit strange to me.
Old 08-28-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Ultimately a waste of time.
That sums up my own feelings. I was enjoying the show for the first half, savouring the atmosphere, the mystery etc, but the last few episodes made me question just what exactly Price and HBO thought would make this a compelling story. Everything just wound up feeling "meh".

Her bringing him drugs seemed silly. As did the wide reach of the boxer's criminal enterprise.

And since Nas' case was so famous it was making the headlines and inspiring an epidemic of hate crimes across the city (he was on Nancy Grace!), it seemed weird that the courtroom for his case was emptier than if it was a divorce proceeding. Shouldn't there have been all kinds of reporters, and curious members of the public?
Old 08-28-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts

I was more pleased in the ending than most of you, but yeah there were a lot of problems with the second half of the show's run. Drug mule lawyer didn't exactly ring true. Neither did putting him on the stand (though I did like John's argument against it.

I did like having Box play a big role in finding the real killer. The show was always steering that direction, but it still felt like a good sort of redemption in the end.

Did anyone else catch Jimmy from The Practice getting like two lines of dialogue at the bar with Box at the beginning of this episode?
Old 08-29-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 404 Likes on 317 Posts

I thought it was an okay finale, but the drug mule one-upped the kiss in level of stupidity.

I'm really happy with how they portrayed Box. Probably my second favourite character, after Jack Stone.

Loved the cat (Bam Bam?) being in the last scene.
Old 08-29-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Terrible unsatisfying ending. I guess that was the point. Glad it was done but evidence and new videos conveniently show up in the last episode? So the cops don't bother to check her cell phone records until after the trial to see who called her? Not realistic.
Old 08-29-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Yeah, it was fine for me. We had a member, or two, call it on who the murderer would be.

The female lawyer had lousy judgement all the way around. She was too caught up with her meteoric rise of being bait on a case to thinking she was untouchable. Kissing Nas and muling for him didn't make sense but she didn't give a fuck either way. Did you notice how quiet she she got after the judge and her boss were through with her? Even when she packed up her things - she was in it for the thrill and not acting at all like a rational lawyer or professional.

Nas also has a nice little crack habit and Stone's skin condition is back. Looks like it was all a placebo, because as soon as his stress was triggered, it flared up again.

There should be a season two, because the white guy getting away with murder does not sit well with me.
Old 08-29-16, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts

Really lack luster ending. Happy to see I was right about who we're to think is the real killer!

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
This is my guess, which has nothing to do with any info or facts. That being said, I will still put it in spoiler, just in case...

Spoiler:
After this week's episode, does anyone else now think that Paulo is the clear killer at this point? First, why would he sign up for a small role (considering there's only two episodes left)? My guess...his character was in love with the girl, planned on her getting the money, which in turn would me he had money as well. Showed up at her house and saw Nas...etc and went nuts.

This smells of L&O syndrome...see a noticeable actor who isn't the main cast...must be the killer!

Last edited by Noonan; 08-29-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-29-16, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

There should be a season two, because the white guy getting away with murder does not sit well with me.
I'm not sure what his color (we all know who he is the DA said to Box to come back and get him) has to do with anything, and you did see Box getting out of his car to probably arrest him didn't you? What exactly would the second season be about?
Old 08-29-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If they do another season, I would hope it would be an entirely new case with an entirely new cast.
Old 08-29-16, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sadly, I don't think the ending warrants another season.
Old 08-29-16, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts

The judge asked the prosecutor for an immediate decision on whether she wanted to retry Nas on "Monday". I would assume the prosecution would get a little more time than that (seeing as the State of Wisconsin is being given ninety days to decide if they want to retry Brandon Dassey after his conviction was overturned). Also a Monday retrial would be especially difficult for the defense here as the lead attorney had alr day been kicked off the case. That seemed like more sloppy writing.
Old 08-29-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah...I don't claim to know how the judicial system works but I have to assume that a re-trial would get moved to the bottom of the list and not start right away. Not to mention that this ending leaves it open for them to re-try Nas at any point in the future. He's not exactly free.
Old 08-29-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Outside of how they handled Chandra, I was pretty satisfied with the show. It seemed like an obvious mechanism to get Stone more involved in the courtroom, more than anything else. I like that they showed that Naz's life will never be the same, despite the system having moved on from him.
Old 08-29-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That was simultaneously the most satisfying and un-satisfying finale I've seen in quite some time. I liked the cat returning. But I don't know if I'd ever revist this mini-series. I wished it would've strayed from being a social commentary on are legal / prison system and just stuck with being a compelling narrative.
Old 08-29-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

I was only able to catch the first 45 minutes before crashing last night... but if I NEVER see another woman grab a stash of drugs from under her dress, it'll be too soon. I cannot believe this show had to show us that twice in prison but now with the lawyer??? It's insulting to me that the writers think I'd believe that an up-and-coming attorney would stoop to such levels as to risk her career, livelihood and life free from jail to buy drugs and THEN smuggle them in. This show had me already shaking my head at it's unbelievable plot points -- but that broke the straw.
Old 08-29-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the lawyer was a mess. Only saving grace is that she got exposed and fired immediately. I think the goal of this series was to show how much an event can change people (for better and/or worse). They just went too far with her character to bring her to the other side.
Old 08-29-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah...I don't claim to know how the judicial system works but I have to assume that a re-trial would get moved to the bottom of the list and not start right away. Not to mention that this ending leaves it open for them to re-try Nas at any point in the future. He's not exactly free.
Yes he is. The option for a re-trial was declined, so their case against him is closed.
Old 08-29-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Yes he is. The option for a re-trial was declined, so their case against him is closed.
Is that how it works? If the prosecution doesn't decide to immediately re-trial, the case is considered closed for good? I assumed with Murder, they could always re-try without an acquittal.
Old 08-29-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what I assumed, but maybe you're right, since it was a mistrial and not an acquittal. But it looks like they're moving on to the other dude anyway.
Old 08-29-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure...not like it matters for the sake of the show. I don't think we'll see any more stories regarding these characters.

Either way, it was pretty laughable. Any of the people the defense brought up could have just as easily been the killer and have motive. That alone would be enough for a jury to acquit based on reasonable doubt. Based on what we saw, no way he would have been convicted or had a hung jury.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.