DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635029-game-thrones-s6e10-winds-winter-6-26-16-a.html)

fumanstan 06-28-16 11:52 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12837346)
It's still backstory. Important or not. Dumbass.

Classy.

Giantrobo 06-28-16 11:52 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12837346)
It's still backstory. Important or not. Dumbass.

^ This "guy" . Wow, just wow.

Maz Kanata 06-28-16 11:57 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12837359)
Wow, just wow.


You know what's "wow"? Your sexual fetish for overweight, pregnant women. That is a truly "Wow".

Giantrobo 06-28-16 12:08 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12837368)
You know what's "wow"? Your sexual fetish for overweight, pregnant women. That is a truly "Wow".

:lol::up:

dex14 06-28-16 12:08 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Mod note: Maz Kanata -- cut it out or you will be suspended.

slop101 06-28-16 12:09 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12837368)
You know what's "wow"? Your sexual fetish for overweight, pregnant women. That is a truly "Wow".

You know what's boring? Marginalizing someone based on harmless things they like. You should've gotten that shit out of your system back in jr. high.

jfoobar 06-28-16 12:29 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12837368)
You know what's "wow"? Your sexual fetish for overweight, pregnant women. That is a truly "Wow".

To get this thread back on topic, how about we talk about this hot sack-o-potatoes right here:

http://i.imgur.com/m2MtwtZl.jpg

:drool:

majorjoe23 06-28-16 12:34 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 
It's nice to have Dragon Tattoo back.

LurkerDan 06-28-16 12:51 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12837398)
To get this thread back on topic, how about we talk about this hot sack-o-potatoes right here:

http://i.imgur.com/m2MtwtZl.jpg

:drool:

would bang.

well, not now of course, I'm not a freak. but before.

LurkerDan 06-28-16 12:57 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12837346)
It's still backstory. Important or not.

Putting aside the personal attack, I never denied that it was "backstory", but that doesn't not make it just "noise". This is, after all, a discussion of the show, not the books. Imagine a discussion of the Lord of the Rings movies, and some people are discussing "backstory" from the Silmarillion, how Middle Earth was created, etc. It might be valid as backstory in that it was written by Tolkein and describes earlier stories within the same universe, but it's pretty much irrelevant to the Lord of the Rings movies, and as such would be noise in any discussion of those movies.

Bandoman 06-28-16 01:19 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 
https://media4.giphy.com/media/rBHodnspLbboc/200_s.gif

B.A. 06-28-16 01:28 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

B.A. 06-28-16 01:30 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

B.A. 06-28-16 01:30 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

TGM 06-28-16 01:51 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 
I know it's a show, and I'm glad we got to see the scene from a viewers perspective, but what purpose did it serve to lure carved-face prickboy down into the catacombs to see the barrels of wildfire? Seemed like a foolish plan which could've easily backfired on Cersei in numerous ways.

LurkerDan 06-28-16 02:05 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12837472)
I know it's a show, and I'm glad we got to see the scene from a viewers perspective, but what purpose did it serve to lure carved-face prickboy down into the catacombs to see the barrels of wildfire? Seemed like a foolish plan which could've easily backfired on Cersei in numerous ways.

True. But isn't carved face prickboy the one who sold her out, that led to her walk of shame and trial? She probably wanted him to suffer extra.

Goat3001 06-28-16 02:10 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12837472)
I know it's a show, and I'm glad we got to see the scene from a viewers perspective, but what purpose did it serve to lure carved-face prickboy down into the catacombs to see the barrels of wildfire? Seemed like a foolish plan which could've easily backfired on Cersei in numerous ways.

IIRC, him and some lackeys were leaving the Sept and heading to Cersei. The kids cut them off and led them back to doom.

But yeah, the real reason was so the scene would look cooler and it definitely worked.

windom 06-28-16 02:10 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 
What was the reasoning for him trying to catch the kid in the first place?

karoomba 06-28-16 02:20 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12837489)
What was the reasoning for him trying to catch the kid in the first place?

I assumed they knew/suspected the kid was a spy for Cersei. Hence they didn't want him warning her of their arrival.

The Infidel 06-28-16 02:25 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12837489)
What was the reasoning for him trying to catch the kid in the first place?

Yeah, that was a weird moment. I just watched over it again, and it seems that there was no good reason for Lancel to chase after the kid, other than they planned to get Lancel away from High Sparrow and the other Sparrows so he couldn't attempt anything to foil the main plan. In other words, a simple diversion. Apparently they correctly figured that Lancel would chase after a kid running suspiciously away from the building.


Originally Posted by karoomba (Post 12837497)
I assumed they knew/suspected the kid was a spy for Cersei. Hence they didn't want him warning her of their arrival.

That actually makes sense.

madcougar 06-28-16 02:32 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12837489)
What was the reasoning for him trying to catch the kid in the first place?

Sometimes writers take liberties with stories to make them seem more interesting than they probably are or create consequences that are much more interesting than they would be otherwise. In this case if he doesn't go after the kid, the city just blows up and who cares? This way created a lot of tension and you saw a character who deserved some form of comeuppance get theirs.

You may not realize it, but writers do this all the time. Take a comedy show. No one talks in all jokes. But if you ever watch a comedy, most of the characters are always making jokes. It's the writer's job to entertain us. In this example that means he's going to make everyone talk in jokes. In the GOT example, it means they created tension and excitement to titillate viewers.

davidh777 06-28-16 02:32 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 12837428)
Putting aside the personal attack, I never denied that it was "backstory", but that doesn't not make it just "noise". This is, after all, a discussion of the show, not the books. Imagine a discussion of the Lord of the Rings movies, and some people are discussing "backstory" from the Silmarillion, how Middle Earth was created, etc. It might be valid as backstory in that it was written by Tolkein and describes earlier stories within the same universe, but it's pretty much irrelevant to the Lord of the Rings movies, and as such would be noise in any discussion of those movies.

Yeah, and some of the noise can still be interesting, but some of it not so much.

Bill Needle 06-28-16 03:09 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12837472)
I know it's a show, and I'm glad we got to see the scene from a viewers perspective...

That is the answer to your question. If there is no one there to witness it, there is no narrative reason to show it.

bunkaroo 06-28-16 03:17 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12837531)
That is the answer to your question. If there is no one there to witness it, there is no narrative reason to show it.

I think it could have still been suspenseful to see the candles burning down to the wildfire even if no character was down there to watch it. Maybe not as much so, but still a useful shot.

davidh777 06-28-16 03:32 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16
 

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12837540)
I think it could have still been suspenseful to see the candles burning down to the wildfire even if no character was down there to watch it. Maybe not as much so, but still a useful shot.

Yeah, they could've shown that, or someone sneaking around lighting the candles, but this was more dramatic because we the audience figure out what it is at the same time as prickboy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.