Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E09) -- "Battle of the Bastards" -- 6/19/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 08:34 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Game of Thrones (S6E09) -- "Battle of the Bastards" -- 6/19/16

Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Miguel Sapochnik.
No descriptions were released for the final 2 episodes.
Old 06-19-16, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E09) -- "Battle of the Bastards" -- 6/19/16

So who dies in this battle? Any guesses?

I think Rickon and Wun Wun are at the top of the list. Ramsey will probably off Rickon before the battle even begins. Wun Wun is super huge and it stands to guess that the archers will go after him from the outset, even though it will take a butt load of arrows to get him to the ground.

Tormund is next in line, he doesn't seem to have a main arch, but I wouldn't him sticking around, especially if...and I hate even typing this, the Davos/Melasandre/Shireen situation comes to a head. I just have a sinking feeling Davos might not make it out of this alive, but I hope i'm wrong.

Ramsey I think dies, but I'm hoping Sansa or Ghost does him in. That or they feed him to his own dogs. However, this is GoT so he'll probably slip on some ice and mash his head on a rock or get stabbed by some random wildling.
Old 06-19-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the things I always have a negative reaction to is seeing something that's been around "forever" eliminated with little fanfare. An example on this show would be the Children of the Forest. They predate seemingly everything, but now they've been eliminated. Emotionally, that should have been a bigger occurrence.

Giants are another thing. We've known of 3. 2 of them have already been killed. There's one left. If he goes, that could be the end of the line as far as we know. There may be other Giants north of the wall, but if not, the death of the last one should be notable if it happens. Granted, if there are no women giants, the end is coming anyway, but still...

On True Blood
Spoiler:
there are vampires that are over 1,000 years old, but during the few years we're watching the series, vampires like Godric die. And he's not the only one. It's to the point now where I give credit to shows that don't snuff out their long-living characters.

I've been wanting to see Melisandre and the red priest with the Brotherhood without Banners interact. We've seen several priests, but very little interaction. What's their hierarchy anyway?

As much as I want to see what happens tonight, I think it's going to take a back seat to Game 7 of the NBA finals for me. I'll deal with someone's real life dreams being crushed first, then settle into a fantasy dream crushing chaser. GRRM, Crusher of Dreams.
Old 06-19-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

^ I think that's the point with characters and why the unspoken rule is to not get attached to any of them, because the probability is high that they will die.
Old 06-19-16, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see Snow's forces win but the setting as shown in the previews (Bolton has high ground) and the writer's (director's?) comments about reading up on all sorts of battles, make it look grim for Snow. But then could just be the editing eh?
Old 06-19-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While ratings are no longer much of a concern given the whole DVR/HBOGo/Now aspect, I expect the live airing to take a bit of a ratings hit due to a "must-see" NBA game happening tonight.

I do agree with the above poster somewhat concerning the deaths of longstanding races on the show (giants, Children of the Forest). But in all honesty, they really don't mean much to people who don't read the books. Grace Randolph referred to the Children as "little elf people" in her video blog recap (she's not a reader, and it's pretty obvious). Basically, their deaths might mean something to us, but not to people who just watch the show.

And yeah, the previews make it look like Snow's forces are getting their asses handed to them.
Old 06-19-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
One of the things I always have a negative reaction to is seeing something that's been around "forever" eliminated with little fanfare. An example on this show would be the Children of the Forest. They predate seemingly everything, but now they've been eliminated. Emotionally, that should have been a bigger occurrence.

Giants are another thing. We've known of 3. 2 of them have already been killed. There's one left. If he goes, that could be the end of the line as far as we know. There may be other Giants north of the wall, but if not, the death of the last one should be notable if it happens. Granted, if there are no women giants, the end is coming anyway, but still...
Were the Children of the Forest serving the Three Eyed Raven the last of their kind? I don't recall that being explained either way.

And I also don't recall it being stated that Wun-Wun, Mags, and the other giant were the last of their kind.

I'm also unsure about what's happening north of the wall. Were the Wildlings that Jon Snow brought to the wall the all that are left of the freefolk? Has everyone else up there been wiped out by the White Walkers and their Wights?

I would sort of assume that there are more giants and children up there, scattered and in small groups, but maybe not.
Old 06-19-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Can't wait to see this tonight. I'm interested to see who comes to the aid of Jon and his tiny army. (Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale, The Brotherhood Without Banners, Bran and Benjen, Edmure and the Riverrun army, or does Ramsey's army turn on itself?) I just don't think they can win by themselves... I guess we'll find out in less than 2 hours!

Last edited by lwhy?; 06-19-16 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst
Ramsey, though I'm sure more will go.
Old 06-19-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Can't wait to see this tonight. I'm interested to see who comes to the aid of Jon and his tiny army. (Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale, The Brotherhood Without Banners, Bran and Benjen, Edmurd and the Riverrun army, or Does Ramsey's army turn on itself?) I just don't think they can win by themselves... I guess we'll find out in less than 2 hours!
Littlefinger and the Vale forces: I think it's probably guaranteed.

BWB: Looks like they're headed North, but I don't know what their forces are like. I figure they're probably not more than a few dozen in number.

Bran, Meera, and Benjen: Unilkely. I don't think they're done NotW.

Edmure and Riverrun: They would be useful but I doubt they'll be there. Edmure's too much of a pussy to do anything. Blackfish should have taken whatever loyal Riverrun men he could find and headed North with Brienne instead of going out like a punk. Help the Starks take back the North, then join up and fuck up the Lannisters, who are weakened without Tywin.
Old 06-19-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no doubt we will see Littlefinger and the Vale intervene. The only question is what is Littlefinger's plan. He could help take back Winterfell, and/or just as quickly turn on the Starks.
Old 06-19-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

anyone having trouble getting this on HBO Go? When I log in, episode 9 is prominent on the splashscreen but when you select it, it brings you to season 6, episode 1. Episode 9 is not listed.

EDIT: up now. maybe it was late or maybe my app needed to refresh.
Old 06-19-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm on HBO Now and it's giving me a message of "Service code -4000". No idea what that means, but it sucks.
Old 06-19-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

FU HBONow !!!
Old 06-19-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tonight's episode is just a meh...
Old 06-19-16, 09:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Sansa's grin after she feeds Ramsay to his dogs was fantastic.
Old 06-19-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst

I think Rickon and Wun Wun are at the top of the list. Ramsey will probably off Rickon before the battle even begins. Wun Wun is super huge and it stands to guess that the archers will go after him from the outset, even though it will take a butt load of arrows to get him to the ground.

Tormund is next in line, he doesn't seem to have a main arch, but I wouldn't him sticking around, especially if...and I hate even typing this, the Davos/Melasandre/Shireen situation comes to a head. I just have a sinking feeling Davos might not make it out of this alive, but I hope i'm wrong.

Ramsey I think dies, but I'm hoping Sansa or Ghost does him in. That or they feed him to his own dogs. However, this is GoT so he'll probably slip on some ice and mash his head on a rock or get stabbed by some random wildling.
Nice work.
Old 06-19-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Sansa's grin after she feeds Ramsay to his dogs was fantastic.
Ramsey smiling and arrogant right to the end. Even the freaking giant didn't seem to phase him. I really started to think they were going to let this prick win again when the sad music kicked in and Ramsey's army had them boxed in.
Old 06-19-16, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

that was fucking fantastic!
Old 06-19-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truly impressive episode visually. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the single most expensive TV episode ever shot. Also, a solid episode overall. My particular favorite moment was Davos finding the stag carving with the sunrise behind him. I also liked Daenayrs and Tyrion reunited.

One thing I didn't particularly like: I thought the surreal pile of bodies was pretentious, especially the shot of Jon emerging (get it? it's SYMBOLISM!)

Overall, great episode 9, if not up the highest highs of Hardhome and Blackwater.
Old 06-19-16, 09:30 PM
Banned

Another solid episode. Looked and sounded great, was paced well throughout. Not a fan of that jerky shutter speed that filmmakers like Ridley Scott tend to use heavily during battle scenes but thankfully Sapochnik used it only sparingly, switching the filming style at an effective moment. I'm sure there will be plenty arguments on the reasoning behind
Spoiler:
Sansa keeping the Vale forces a secret from Jon until the end
and complaints of some predictable plotting. But again, good episode overall. Looking forward to next week.
Old 06-19-16, 09:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing cinematography and an awesome hour of TV.

Granted I'd be out of my mind if my brother was killed right in front of me but Jon Snow is a stupid idiot for charging.

As is Sansa for not telling everyone else about her backup plan.

#SavedByTheVale
Old 06-19-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With respect to the spoiler above:

Spoiler:
since her and Littlefinger last met on poor terms, I figure she didn't tell John because she wasn't sure they would come. I think she kept telling him to wait for more men in the hopes that she would get a message back saying "yup, we'll be there"
Old 06-19-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 0073735963
Granted I'd be out of my mind if my brother was killed right in front of me but Jon Snow is a stupid idiot for charging.
Yeah, Jon Snow is a shitty strategist. He deserved to die, again.
Old 06-19-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He seemed to have an ok strategy but then threw it all out the window when Ramsay goaded him......just like Sansa warned him about.

John....quit being stupid.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.