Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E09) -- "Battle of the Bastards" -- 6/19/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E09) -- "Battle of the Bastards" -- 6/19/16

I liked the battle but agree we got plenty of it. There wasn't enough going on with tactical maneuvering and the like to sustain a full episode.
Old 06-21-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Like Varys said, "Littlefinger would see the realm burn if he could be king of the ashes."
I don't remember that line, but that's a pretty good one.
Old 06-21-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I agree that SOME of the writing this season has been much more standard TV fare than previous seasons. For example, this episode's unambiguously good guy underdog against unambiguously baddie superpower only to be deus ex machina'ed at the last second was very un-GoT trope-y fare.

This year has been far more interesting, much more spectacular and is allowing the show to collapse some story lines with efficiency and realism. IMO, it's one of the better seasons.
Good post, I would add a couple more:

-Jamie's continued loyalty to Cersei (which is the opposite of the book) and his eventual betrayal (my prediction)

-Theon's redemption tour, and with Yara, on how to make Iron Islands great again

Besides Arya, the whole Dorne thing continued to be the weakest link.
Old 06-21-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
The problem with that is what are they going to do with Dany while we're waiting a season or 2 for Yara to get there? They've dragged maybe a seasons worth of adventure out of the Slavers story line and stretched it into what 4 seasons? So unless the show runners are willing to take one of the stars off the table while they stretch out the Iron born story line it's just not going to work.
Sure, waiting a full season would have been too much. And the plot lines are so ridiculously complex and contingent on other plotlines moving forward that it does feel like some characters have to wait their turn before they can move ahead. I'm not saying it's an easy fix, or that I could do it, just that things feel rushed to me.

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst
The writers are in a damned if you, damned if you don't situation honestly. They have written many great dialogue scenes this season, but some of you currently are just choosing to fixate on the ones they missed.
I disagree -- at least to a degree. I used to think GoT had absolutely delicious dialog. It was one of the big draws for me. I remember watching some scenes multiple times just because of how sharp the exchanges were. I'm not saying the show doesn't have those anymore, but they do feel less frequent to me. I remember the scene with Varys talking to that one woman in the throne room this season and thinking I wanted more of that. Lots of good dialog happening around, to, and from Cersei as well.

But to be clear what I'm talking about here is GoT going from an A++ show to a B++/A- show by my tastes. It's not like I'm saying it's booty.

Last edited by boredsilly; 06-21-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

The reason for the drop in quality the last two seasons is obvious: Benioff & Weiss don't have anymore source material. GRRM is simply a much better writer than them. He writes much sharper dialogue and is a much better plotter of storylines. The proof? Seasons 1-4 is essentially all of his writing and these past two seasons have been D&D on their own (yes yes, they talked to GRRM about how it would end, I know).

That being said, I think D&D have done as good a job as they are capable of and I certainly respect them for undertaking this project. There have been some spectacular moments and some great dialogue. I still look forward to the show every Sunday and despite my criticisms throughout this season (and last's) I don't want to give the appearance that I'm "hate watching", but there's no question in my mind that GRRM is a considerably more talented writer and that if the show still had source material to go from it would be better than it has been the past 2 seasons.
Old 06-21-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Greedoshotfirst
The writers are in a damned if you, damned if you don't situation honestly. They have written many great dialogue scenes this season, but some of you currently are just choosing to fixate on the ones they missed. .
Nobody is saying that the show has gone in the crapper like many other shows that this happens after 5 seasons. (Homeland first comes to mind, and I have never seen Dexter but supposedly that show went in the crapper late in its run).

I just feel overall the quality has dipped alittle bit this, but I'm still there every week. I felt the same way about The Sopranos and Mad Men as they both seemed to peak after Season 4 and the latter seasons weren't as great, but I still put them on the Mt. Rushmore of Cable TV Drama's.

I'm just saying that the writers were able to suprise for me 5 seasons and this year it just seems like I'm predicting what happens almost every episode. When Arya was stabbed multiple times in the stomach, deep down I knew she would survive. When it was Jon Snow vs Ramsey Bolton, I knew Bolton would be the one who died because it would be lame if they killed Jon Snow again (that is why I never like when a character is revived and there is no difference in their character after).

Game of Thrones used to be able to end each show on a 'Holy Shit!' moment for 5 seasons, and this year isn't like that. Again, it happens to every great show as not every season can be A+.
Old 06-21-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Seen on the ringer: Jon Snow = The Leeroy Jenkins of Westeros
Old 06-21-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I agree that SOME of the writing this season has been much more standard TV fare than previous seasons. For example, this episode's unambiguously good guy underdog against unambiguously baddie superpower only to be deus ex machina'ed at the last second was very un-GoT trope-y fare.

However, below the surface there's actually a lot going on this season:
- Bran's destructive impulsiveness and the fatal consequences of his actions
- Jon (more understandable) hotheadedness about his brother and his typically Stark-ish dumbassery
- Sansa developing more coniving leadership instincts and being unafraid to go very non-Stark and literally feed an enemy to the dogs
- Tyrion getting in over his head and then coming back around to effectively managing a difficult ruler
- Daenerys becoming an even more ruthless and much more believable conqueror
- Tommen being a child and Margaery's long game
- Cersei continually being abused, belittled and humbled
- The mysterious motivations and very clever gambits of the High Sparrow
- The (terrifically handled) reemergence of The Hound as a particularly conflicted character

Only Arya's plot has really been meaningless and nonsensical to me this year and even that had a wonderful play-within-a-play set in it.

IMO, this is a significantly stronger season than last year. Last year's unending, grim march of (IMO) unnecessarily harsh audience sadism and Dorne pointlessness was only really saved by the fantastic Hardhome episode to me. Seasons before that have had very uneven pacing (remember Qarth?) and questionable setpieces (the battle of Castle Black).

This year has been far more interesting, much more spectacular and is allowing the show to collapse some story lines with efficiency and realism. IMO, it's one of the better seasons.
I'd say there's a lot going on, but that doesn't mean the execution and writing of said events have been handled very well. Of the list you have, I'd actually say about half of them were rough in the way they unfolded, and i'm particularly surprised you feel that The Hound's return was "terrifically handled" since aside from Arya, I thought his reintroduction was one of the worst things so far this season.

This season has been better because major plot points are moving forward, but I think that's because they have to as they near the end of the series more then the writing elevating where the plot is going.
Old 06-21-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd say there's a lot going on, but that doesn't mean the execution and writing of said events have been handled very well. Of the list you have, I'd actually say about half of them were rough in the way they unfolded, and i'm particularly surprised you feel that The Hound's return was "terrifically handled" since aside from Arya, I thought his reintroduction was one of the worst things so far this season.
Yeah, the presumed reason why people thought the Hound was still alive was for the Cleganebowl. Now that that has been essentially debunked (at least for this year), I'm not even sure why he's still alive.

It's not about whether I think he's a cool character or not. Of course he is. I'm just not sure what the point of bringing him back was. Since the direction of the brotherhood w/o banners goes a different way in the book that would not be friendly to a Sandor Clegane reappearance it seems like they are just inventing this storyline to bring back a character that a lot of people liked.

If that's the case I'd have rather he stayed "dead". The show already had enough characters to service.
Old 06-21-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Seen on the ringer: Jon Snow = The Leeroy Jenkins of Westeros
Old 06-21-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

This season has been better because major plot points are moving forward, but I think that's because they have to as they near the end of the series more then the writing elevating where the plot is going.
I agree re the Hound, like having his character back but a) another person returned to life?, and b) his entire story so far has been terrible this time.

I do think one thing they have been better on is moving things forward, and that's not just because they have to, Case in point: hold the door. In past years, they might have waited 2-3 episodes before returning to that storyline, but instead they returned to it with the opening scene of the very next episode.
Old 06-21-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Personally I've felt this season was a step up from Seasons 4 and 5 which I felt was weak and really slow paced build up for what was finally paid off for in this season. IMO Seasons 1-3 were definitely the strongest of the show, and with some of the biggest surprises.
Old 06-21-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really think Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun will be resurrected by Melisandre. We had the foreshadowing earlier in the episode with Jon's conversation about being brought back. Then, he gets shot in the eye with Ramsey's arrow. The episode before, we see Beric again, who has been brought back many times in the past, and recall his eye patch.
Old 06-21-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

You've been trolling pretty hard the past two episodes.
Old 06-21-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I really think Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun will be resurrected by Melisandre. We had the foreshadowing earlier in the episode with Jon's conversation about being brought back. Then, he gets shot in the eye with Ramsey's arrow. The episode before, we see Beric again, who has been brought back many times in the past, and recall his eye patch.
Old 06-21-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
You've been trolling pretty hard the past two episodes.
Just trying to come up with original theories..best ones are always taken .. although, I am particularly annoyed with the theories that try to reason away Sansa and Arya's stupidity.
Old 06-21-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say there's a lot going on, but that doesn't mean the execution and writing of said events have been handled very well.
I agree that the writing hasn't made some of this incredibly clear. However, that certainly been true in prior seasons as well. Regardless, the themes are there.

and i'm particularly surprised you feel that The Hound's return was "terrifically handled" since aside from Arya, I thought his reintroduction was one of the worst things so far this season.
To explain my opinion: Ian McShane was a great cameo. The vicious scene of the Hound dispatching the rogue Brotherhood was great. The dialogue between Beric and the Hound was great. Maybe you can complain about the Hound not hearing a slaughter of 50 people or perhaps the trope-y nature of the re-invigoration of the Hound's fury through the slaughter of kindly villagers (both valid complaints) but overall I thought is was good.
Old 06-21-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Old 06-21-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho

Old 06-21-16, 07:14 PM
Banned

The Hound scenes have been terrific. And I was always against the show bringing him back.
Old 06-21-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm genuinely surprised people liked The Hound stuff. The moments with him and that village, and the ensuing slaughter while out chopping wood, was as cliche as Littlefinger riding in at the last minute.

I like the character, and it's resulted a few fun moments and conversations with him. I'll be more forgiving when he's given something more interesting to do though.
Old 06-21-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Having had time to look at a few analyses of Sansa's actions and her smirk at Ramsey being devoured by her own dogs has me thinking she will fill the role of
Spoiler:
Lady Stoneheart. While she may never actually go by that name, imagine how much of a shock it will prove if she starts resorting to those measures. Brienne and Podrick failed to get the Blackfish to come to Sansa's aid. They pretty much failed, which resulted in his death and Jaime conquering Riverrun. Imagine the shock if both Pod and Brienne are executed by Sansa for what has happened. I truly think that Ramsey's parting words of "I am a part of you now" have more to do with her demeanor than whether or not she has baby Ramsey on board.
Old 06-21-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Sansa should have cut of Ramsey's dick and fed it to the dogs. Then after he recovered from that have him flayed.
Old 06-21-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Sansa should have cut of Ramsey's dick and fed it to the dogs. Then after he recovered from that have him flayed.
But first she should have bent him over and raped him with Longclaw.
Old 06-22-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Lots of people don't like the Hound scenes this year..

Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.