Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

OJ: Made In America (ESPN 30 for 30 Miniseries)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

OJ: Made In America (ESPN 30 for 30 Miniseries)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: OJ: Made In America (ESPN 30 for 30 Miniseries)

Just got done with part 4 as well. In addition to Cochran, Carl Douglas is really coming off like an arrogant scumbag attorney, imo. What a disgRACE they both were/are.
Old 06-30-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Just got done with part 4 as well. In addition to Cochran, Carl Douglas is really coming off like an arrogant scumbag attorney, imo. What a disgRACE they both were/are.
I disagree. I was talking with my friend some years back who is an attorney, and asked her how she felt defending people who were in the wrong. Admittedly she's in family law, so she's not defending anyone like OJ, but she told me the burden of innocence is on the prosecution. The defense's job, as unsavory as it is, is to present the best case to get their client off. They did their job. The prosecution didn't.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
No one quite has the story that OJ has. There just aren't that many people who go from that beloved to that much of a pariah. And really a good 3 and half parts of that were about his extended fall from grace.

Who else would merit that kind of in depth story? Ali would be good, but there just isn't much of a denouement. To go beyond two parts would be stretching. Most other people don't really have enough to go more than two hours. There needs to be a revolutionary element to the person. Maybe there is a 3 hour Arthur Ashe or Jim Brown documentary to be made, but they wouldn't merit 10 hours.
Yeah, OJ is pretty singular. I do think Ali could support a series like this, though. While a lot of his history is well documented, it would be really cool to have it presented in a fashion similar to this docu-series. And just thinking about it, I'm kinda salivating thinking about it, but the good thing is there are enough docs about him that you can kinda piece together your own series about Ali by watching the stuff that already exists about him.

But outside of Ali, I think you're right. Not many stories could support 10 hours, and be as magnetic and must watch as this series was. I watched it in the span of two days. I just couldn't stop.
Old 06-30-16, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Have they done one on Mike Tyson yet? I really don't understand what happened with regards to his rape conviction.
Old 06-30-16, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

A non-sports related figure that would warrant a 10-hour documentary would be Michael Jackson. I haven't personally seen a documentary that focused on the child molestation case (and that moment he stood on the SUV with the crowded cheering him on).
Old 06-30-16, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Have they done one on Mike Tyson yet? I really don't understand what happened with regards to his rape conviction.
http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=chasingtyson

There is a 30 for 30 film that features Tyson. But, it's mostly about a washed up Evander Holyfield fighting against him.

There's another one about 2Pac being killed the night of a Tyson fight.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=one-night-in-vegas

But, nothing focused specifically about Tyson and his career.

I think there's a couple of non-ESPN documentaries out there. There's also a bio film with Michael Jai White playing him.
Old 06-30-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Think you meant to write "the burden of proof is on the prosecution.
Old 06-30-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Damn, after a lot of praise in this thread, I saw the first one. This is good stuff. Been a fan of 30 for 30, glad they have this in depth presentation.
Old 06-30-16, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I pre-ordered the DVD set for the show on Amazon.This one is a "must-have" for me...
Old 07-02-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished it last night. Great documentary, and glad they got so many key players to participate.
Old 07-02-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ditto. Finished up the series last night. Was not aware of the lengths that Simpson went to get more public attention for himself. That Elvis costume was just too much! All in all a very well put together series with lots of participation by many of the key players. It included on of the most memorable Fred Goldman's pressers after Mr. Johnnie's closing argument. Wish that Darden had been included, but can understand why he would pass. Getting Fuhrman's participation including his explanatory comments on his racist statements I thought was pretty great. And it has as happy an ending as one could hope for given the idiot jury's decision in the criminal trial. Will seriously consider getting on DVD when the price is right.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 07-02-16 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-02-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Wish that Darden had been included, but can understand why he would pass.
Yeah, I don't understand Darden. It would be one thing if he just wanted to put the whole thing in the past; that would be understandable. But now that he's popping up on the View and other places I'm not sure why he passed on this.
Old 07-02-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Yeah, I don't understand Darden. It would be one thing if he just wanted to put the whole thing in the past; that would be understandable. But now that he's popping up on the View and other places I'm not sure why he passed on this.
He's been promoting his new book on the talk show circuit.
Old 07-02-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been hearing such good things about this series I'm sorry I missed it. Never looked up the crime scene photos before. I remember at the time hearing that her throat was cut so deeply it almost severed her head. They weren't kidding.
Old 07-02-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I've been hearing such good things about this series I'm sorry I missed it. Never looked up the crime scene photos before. I remember at the time hearing that her throat was cut so deeply it almost severed her head. They weren't kidding.
You can still watch it via the Watch ESPN app/website or On demand through your provider. Just keep in mind, it's 7 1/2 hours total.
Old 07-03-16, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ also most if not all 30 for 30s end up on netflix

Also in regards to the crime scene photos, ESPN released a statement regarding them
"There are several graphic crime scene photos that will be shown during Part 4 of “O.J.: Made in America” that the director and producers of the film feel are key to the powerful narrative of the documentary. These will not be altered in the initial television premiere, nor will they be altered in the version of the film that will be available on demand to viewers online or via cable VOD services. However, since subsequent re-airs will take place at various times, those photos will be blurred in future re-airs."
Old 07-03-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It's not done by ESPN, but the documentary"Tyson" (2008) is comprehensive and done with Mike Tyson's cooperation.

Old 07-04-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone seen any information on what supplements the DVD/BD set will include? Given the length and scope of what was put together and included within the 7.5 hour final cut, I've got to believe that there is plenty of footage that did not make it in. Amazon does not provide anything. Will post if/when I locate any information.
Old 07-04-16, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hoping it includes reactions of participants to info that is new to them, or that they learned after the trial. For e ample, Marcia Clark's thoughts on the arthritis meds, and the Cochran guy blatantly admitting how much of OJ's house they changed.
Old 07-05-16, 03:02 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The defense's job, as unsavory as it is, is to present the best case to get their client off. They did their job. The prosecution didn't.
That's the twisted way it's become, but the defense's job is actually to make sure their client gets a fair trail. Not get them off by any means necessary.
Old 07-06-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What world are you living in?
Old 07-06-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
That's the twisted way it's become, but the defense's job is actually to make sure their client gets a fair trail. Not get them off by any means necessary.
You are obviously not a lawyer... and you probably shouldn't pursue it as a career.
Old 07-06-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

What world are you living in?
I think he's from somewhere in Europe and doesn't know how the American judicial system works. Lawyers here will do whatever it takes to get their client off no matter how dirty it is. Like Johnnie Cochran's tactics in this trial.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-06-16 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don King hired tax attorneys to defend him. Guys had no business in a criminal trial.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mike...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by cleaver; 07-06-16 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
I heard that one described as making the jurors believe it was beyond a shadow of a doubt, instead of reasonable doubt.
Old 07-06-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I totally agree with you. He comes across as willing to do anything to win a case. He reveled in the fact they changed OJs home before the jury got to look around it. Such dirty tactics they used to get OJ off such as making sure he doesn't take his medication so there was no way his hands would fit in the glove. Although Dardan did a terrible job for the prosecution. The whole of OJs defense team are utter scumbags though. The kind of people who will gladly help a murderer walk free as long as they get a tonne of cash and their face on the news.

I watched the whole thing when it screened on TV a few weeks back and it was riveting from start to end. Incredibly well made. Darren's absence was very noticeable, but not unexpected. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind at the end that OJ did it. Amazing seeing so many black people defending him simply because of his skin color and feeling he was set up. They probably still think he is innocent. Judge Ito did not help this thing at all and the whole trial was a mess.

Fuck OJ and fuck the living defense team members.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.