Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- based on the film -- from Southland creators

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- based on the film -- from Southland creators

Old 06-14-16, 07:04 AM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

TWO-HOUR SERIES PREMIERE: Animal Kingdom

Pilot - Tuesday, June 14, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT) - TV-MA-LSV

After his mother dies of a heroin overdose, Joshua 'J' Cody moves in with his estranged grandmother, Janine "Smurf" Cody in Southern California. He soon finds himself drawn into a dark world funded by criminal activities that he's been shielded from for years, as she and his uncles plan their upcoming heist. J must prove his loyalty to stay alive, all the while learning that Smurf is the intense, beguiling and complicated matriarch who rules over "her boys" with a borderline incestuous love.

Directed by John Wells
Written by Jonathan Lisco
Based on the feature film written and directed by David Michod

"We Don't Hurt People" - Tuesday, June 14, at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) - TV-MA-LSV

The Codys must deal with the aftermath of the heist as they discover all did not go as planned. Smurf dispatches her boys to tie up loose ends, but her efforts are complicated by Baz and Pope's growing rivalry. As Pope gets increasingly volatile, J finds himself in the middle.

Directed by John Wells
Written by Jonathan Lisco

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Ben Robson as Craig
· Daniella Alonso as Catherine
· Ellen Barkin as Janine "Smurf" Cody
· Finn Cole as Joshua "J" Cody
· Jake Weary as Deran Cody
· Molly Gordon as Nicky
· Scott Speedman as Barry "Baz" Brown
· Shawn Hatosy as Pope

CREW INFORMATION:
· Andrew Stearn as EP
· David Michod as EP
· John Wells as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Jonathan Lisco as CRTR/EP
· Liz Watts as EP

10 episode first season.

Last edited by dex14; 06-16-16 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-14-16, 09:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Season 1 Thread -- based on the film -- S: Barkin, Speedm

getting a decent score @ RT. 80% i believe. will give it a record...
Old 06-15-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Season 1 Thread -- based on the film -- S: Barkin, Speedm

This is not what I was expecting with a dumb name like Animal Kingdom. It's a gritty crime drama based on a family of white trash criminals.

Better than I expected, the cast is very solid. Closest comp is probably Sons of Anarchy, if that show had tighter drama and writing.
Old 06-15-16, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is not what I was expecting with a dumb name like Animal Kingdom. It's a gritty crime drama based on a family of white trash criminals.

Better than I expected, the cast is very solid. Closest comp is probably Sons of Anarchy, if that show had tighter drama and writing.
Never seen the movie then I guess? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313092/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Last edited by dex14; 06-15-16 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

So does this basically follow the movie or is it a different take on similar material?

Kind of surprised anyone on this forum missed the Aussie flick, considering it basically introduced Jacki Weaver and Joel Edgerton to every US supporting role possible since then. And gave a lot more work to Sullivan Stapleton and Ben Mendelsohn.
Old 06-15-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Almost done with the 2 hour premiere and I was kinda surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The show is really well-cast, and the integration of the kid and his girlfriend into the clan felt organic. I will make an effort to keep up with this show.
Old 06-15-16, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

The movie is phenomenal.

Great and familiar cast, too.
Old 06-16-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Never seen the movie then I guess? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313092/?ref_=nv_sr_2
I missed that one, though I see it's an Australian movie.
Old 06-16-16, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Wow, just noticed that this is from the makers of Southland. Plus Shawn Hatosy is a Southland alumnus.

I'm sure if more in this forum knew that, they would be inclined to watch it.

I get back from vacation next week. Looking forward to it.

That's cool that Sullivan Stapleton is in the original movie. Now I'll have to check it out.
Old 06-16-16, 06:48 AM

I missed that one, though I see it's an Australian movie.
You should check it out. It played in the states. Lots of great people in it. Jacki Weaver got an Oscar nom for it.
Old 06-16-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) - Season 1 Thread - from Southland creators - based on the f

As I watched the credits I recognized the name "John Wells", the executive producer, who did Southland, Shameless, ER, The West Wing, and a bunch other "name" shows. Solid enough show so far, but don't look for any sympathetic characters (at least not yet). I was surprised at the (brief) nudity and sex, since this was a TNT show at 8pm (Central).
Old 06-23-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) - Season 1 Thread - from Southland creators - based on the f

This is a very, very good show. TNT is really pushing what they can get away with regarding sex and nudity, past even FX's limits.
Old 06-23-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

This is a very, very good show. TNT is really pushing what they can get away with regarding sex and nudity, past even FX's limits.
Agreed. Kinda feels like a cross between Sons and Point Break.
Old 07-05-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm caught up with 3 of the 4 episodes that have aired. This show is really well made and well cast.

Ellen Barkin is great as "Smurf" Kind of a modern take on Ma Barker.

Question, are any of the boys her biological children? I recall in one of the episodes she was talking about how shitty Baz's real parents were.

Go figure that Baz is balancing 2 Mexican girlfriends and both have kids.

When "J" told her that his mother died in the Pilot, Smurf showed really no emotion for someone who was supposedly her daughter. So I'm guessing "J"'s Mom was just some kid she looked after.

Pope is really creepy. I don't like the way he looks at "J"'s girlfriend. Hatosy is great playing this character. But, I didn't need to see him almost buck naked in that one episode and then climbing into bed with Smurf. That felt icky.

I guess Deran is a closeted homosexual after "J" caught him getting his dick sucked by that dude. I think he has it out for "J"

Also, lots of Southland alumni on this show. Hatosy, Dorian Missick, C. Thomas Howell also appeared in the last episode as "J"'s girlfriend's Dad. And the creative team is all from Southland as well (John Wells, Jonathan Lisco and Chris Chulack). Regina King also directed the 4th episode.
Old 07-06-16, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty sure they are all her kids except for baz

interesting that

Spoiler:
the teacher is working with the police i thought she just wanted to fuck jay
Old 07-06-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Agreed. Kinda feels like a cross between Sons and Point Break.
Exact same thing I said to myself, and last night's episode really hit the PB vibe (and not just the extreme sports part). A lot of interesting reveals last night, and I guess we're just starting to tap into the "Smurf" puzzle. I'm just wondering if this mysterious figure from her past will "age-check" or are they being kind to Barkin.
Old 07-06-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Renewed for a second season: http://deadline.com/2016/07/animal-k...bs-1201783273/
Old 07-16-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

this is surprising good. I honestly thought Smurf was Cameron Diaz. Pope is crazy scary but Baz just revealed himself to be just as dangerous with that talk with J at the lifeguard tower. I am going to watch the movie after the end of this season.
Old 07-17-16, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah some really compelling stuff this past week.

Sucked that J broke up with Nikki in such a shitty way, but he was obviously feeling conflict about Baz using them and her father as a mark for that potential robbery and wanted to protect her. But yeah Baz started to really show his true colors here.

Interesting hearing some of the background on J's teacher and why she was working for the Cops.

The stuff that went down with Craig and his drug dealer girlfriend was intense. Didn't expect her to find out so soon.
Old 07-17-16, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was an excellent scene between Craig and the girlfriend he left for dead.

The actor playing Pope is putting on one of the most intense television performances I can remember. I've seen actors carry that intensity in a movie but never for such an extended period of time on a running drama. He's just about the only character on television that I am always thinking he's about to hit someone or something. If anyone deserves an Emmy, it's him.
Old 07-18-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

That was an excellent scene between Craig and the girlfriend he left for dead.

The actor playing Pope is putting on one of the most intense television performances I can remember. I've seen actors carry that intensity in a movie but never for such an extended period of time on a running drama. He's just about the only character on television that I am always thinking he's about to hit someone or something. If anyone deserves an Emmy, it's him.
Shawn Hatosy, the guy who plays Pope, is a very underrated actor. He was great on Southland, who's creative team made this series.
Old 07-18-16, 08:30 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Didn't realize this show is from the Southland team. It's now on my radar - will need to catch up online.
Old 07-26-16, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Episode from last week (7/19) was quite intense.

We learned more about Smurf's backstory. Obviously Barkin is playing a little younger than her actual age. That guy selling her the car from her past has to be at least 15-20 years older than her character. She's actually 62, so he can't be in his 80's.

Also, the cat is out of the bag with J and his teacher. Baz has really started showing his dark and sinister side, especially after threatening J. Now he's recruiting C. Thomas Howell's character.

I'm loving how really dark this family is.
Old 08-06-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Finally started this, reminds me of Point Break more than anything, fun show though.

Funny seeing guys in their 30s treating their moms house like a frat pad
Old 08-13-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Man episode 9 was a tough watch.

Spoiler:
Pope murdered Baz's girlfriend by smothering her after sex because Smurf thought she was a threat. She was trying to seduce him because she knows that Pope is in love with her. When he was crying while doing it made the scene feel even more twisted. Stupid woman, should have listened to the detective.

Guess he had a change of heart and couldn't kill Baz's daughter too.

This is one dark show.

The season finale aired this past week. Will try to catch it later.

The actress who plays J's teacher is not a very good actress.

Last edited by dex14; 08-14-16 at 04:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.