Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- based on the film -- from Southland creators

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- based on the film -- from Southland creators

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 10:01 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- from Southland creators -- based on the

If it was on AMC it probably would've gotten canned after one season.

This season has improved. The heist on the charter boat during a wedding is something I've never seen before.
Old 08-13-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Animal Kingdom (TNT) -- Series Thread -- from Southland creators -- based on the

Originally Posted by dino88
Not too sure about that. It didn't really matter though, since they would soon be getting that money back. Maybe to hide the tracker better ???.
That's also what I figured.

Originally Posted by dino88
Baz didn't want Jay to know he was robbing Smurf. There was no way for Jay to tell that anything in there belonged to Smurf until the safes were opened. He didn't know that Smurf had taken Jay to that storage unit before.
I know that Baz didn't know that Jay knew the storage unit belonged to Smurf. So, Baz went back to the unit alone to take whatever items would give away the unit was Smurf's?
If that's the case then what was the point of bringing Jay along in the first place?

Last edited by JZ1276; 08-13-17 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 08:16 AM

Anyone watch last night's episode? Pope hitting all those banks with new NIN playing as the soundtrack was an awesome scene. I can't see this lasting more than one more season with the direction the show has gone in.
Old 08-23-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

The last few episodes have had a nice level of mounting tension with regards to Baz vs. Smurf. I don't see an amicable end to this situation, and for the show to work one of them is going to have to die, -or be a constant threat plotting in the background.
I've got a feeling someone is making it to Season Three.
Old 08-25-17, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
The last few episodes have had a nice level of mounting tension with regards to Baz vs. Smurf. I don't see an amicable end to this situation, and for the show to work one of them is going to have to die, -or be a constant threat plotting in the background.
I've got a feeling someone is making it to Season Three.
Did you mean to say you have a feeling someone is NOT making it to season 3? The only way I think they could continue with this story is if Smurf ends up in jail for good, or like you said, if Smurf or Baz ends up dead.
Old 08-25-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Did you mean to say you have a feeling someone is NOT making it to season 3? The only way I think they could continue with this story is if Smurf ends up in jail for good, or like you said, if Smurf or Baz ends up dead.
yeah, that's what I meant, -that was a typo. Early in the season I had expected the status quo, -the family unit, -to eventually be restored. Clearly, they can't go backwards with the story at this point. And of course Pope, -a dangerous loose cannon, has opened up about things to his girlfriend, and that can't be good for either of them.
Old 08-30-17, 09:53 AM

Season finale was excellent. Really thought Baz was gonna take out Pope. Baz's gf setting him up... didnt see that coming!

Last edited by JZ1276; 09-03-17 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 12:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, finale was pretty good. John Wells wrote and directed it.

My only gripe was the Baz/Pope scene - came off a tad underwhelming for me. Technically, should have spurred some more emotion around it, but it didn't for some reason.

Was also caught off guard re: Baz's girlfriend and the robber who was involved in the boat heist.
Old 09-03-17, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Yeah, finale was pretty good. John Wells wrote and directed it.

My only gripe was the Baz/Pope scene - came off a tad underwhelming for me. Technically, should have spurred some more emotion around it, but it didn't for some reason.

Was also caught off guard re: Baz's girlfriend and the robber who was involved in the boat heist.
BTW, I found it odd that Derran & Craig never told Baz that they found out Lucy is basically a crime boss.
Old 02-27-18, 12:07 PM

Denis Leary Joins Animal Kingdom Season 3
http://tvline.com/2018/02/27/denis-l...on-3-spoilers/

Ooooh. I dig this.

I also read that
Spoiler:
Scott Speedman
is looking to exit the show.
Old 02-27-18, 12:15 PM

I'll take the good with the bad. Leary seems like a good pairing with Smurf. Looking forward to this.
Old 05-28-18, 05:33 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0ZkIBci3Us4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tem5LOM2Xcw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This summer, the infamous Cody family is back as TNT's hit drama Animal Kingdom returns for its third season. In last season's shocking cliffhanger, Baz (Scott Speedman) was shot while on his way to Mexico after framing Smurf (Ellen Barkin) for murder. Season three opens with Smurf in jail and her grandson J (Finn Cole) in charge of the family business. The Cody men find themselves increasingly divided as they fight for both control and their independence, but have to come together when outside threats emerge. Deran's (Jake Weary) drifter dad Billy (Denis Leary) comes back to make amends, but may have other motives. The third season of Animal Kingdom is slated to launch Tuesday, May 29, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT) on TNT.
Old 05-29-18, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

FYI, my DVR caught a special "Sneak Preview" tonight that ran for 1 hour. It's actually the 1st episode of season 3, which also premieres tomorrow. It started a couple of minutes late because the NBA game ran long. I just deleted it and will catch the "Official" premiere tomorrow.

Looks like the premiere is written and directed by John Wells. I think he writes the best episodes of the series.
Old 05-30-18, 02:43 PM

That was some wig they had on Deran.
Old 05-30-18, 04:30 PM

Missed the sneak and forgot all about this. Summer guilty pleasure for sure - glad it's back
Old 05-30-18, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Missed the sneak and forgot all about this. Summer guilty pleasure for sure - glad it's back
Why's it a "guilty pleasure"? It's got respectable actors/writing/storylines. Nothing to feel guilty about.
Old 05-31-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Just caught the premiere. Damn, I can't believe they killed off Baz. I did see the article from a few months ago that Speedman was looking to leave, but they made sure he was gone for good. Looks like he may be a potential new cast member on Grey's Anatomy. Probably a bigger paycheck than TNT.

But, he was turning into a real asshole late in season 2 and didn't give a shit about his daughter.

I like the addition of Denis Leary as the father of the Cody brothers. Looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

I at Deran's wig. It does look like next week he's losing it and going with his normal hair.

Great episode overall by John Wells.
Old 05-31-18, 11:39 AM

I couldn't help but laugh at Pope constantly shitting all over Nicky every time she opened her mouth .
Old 05-31-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just caught the premiere. Damn, I can't believe they killed off Baz. I did see the article from a few months ago that Speedman was looking to leave, but they made sure he was gone for good. Looks like he may be a potential new cast member on Grey's Anatomy. Probably a bigger paycheck than TNT.
The producers have said that Baz was always intended as a short-haul character since his movie counterpart died in the first quarter of the film version. That's what they say...

We'll see if he returns to Grey's Anatomy; he had a one or maybe two episode appearance and nothing more has been said. Whether or not it pays better, GA has better exposure and less likely to be cancelled than any number of pilots.
Old 06-06-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

No Denis Leary in the 2nd episode.

It looks like the 2nd episode takes place a few months after Baz's death. Hence, Deran also has the new haircut.

Stupid J. Of course he bangs the Mexican Chola chick who collects Smurf's protection money.

Looks like the Cody Bros. and J are broke and need to go back to doing another job. Also, is it just me or does Ellen Barkin look like she's aged a lot since the end of last season? Her hair is now all grey.
Old 06-15-18, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Also, is it just me or does Ellen Barkin look like she's aged a lot since the end of last season? Her hair is now all grey.
I didn't notice her hair but she's in prison. No make-up or hair dye.

So let me get this right...

Spoiler:
I'm assuming Smurf hired Mia & her gang buddies to kill Baz which explains why Jay is making weekly payments to her. I doubt Jay knows what these payments are for. It'd be a great twist however if he does know, & is aware of Smurf ordering the hit on Baz. Anyway, after Baz's murder, Lucy & her brother got to the money before the killers could. Did I get that right?

This is still currently my favorite show , but with the entire family separated & Smurf in jail it loses something. I preferred it when the family was together.
Old 06-15-18, 06:40 AM

Leary wasn't in the third episode either yet they keep marketing him "joining the cast" right before the episodes air. Ridiculous.
Old 06-15-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Rating Baitin'
Old 06-22-18, 08:42 AM

So Leary finally shows up in the 4th episode. His appearance was rather underwhelming and not the highlight of the episode.

The heist was well done and tense. Unrealistic such that everything worked out perfectly so that was a stretch. Also detective of the year award to figuring out what happened in a matter of minutes by simply noticing security bars on the window of the supplement store.
Old 06-22-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

The heist sequence was cool, but it relied too much on such perfect timing from all parties.

Yeah Leary's introduction was underwhelming. I thought he was the Cody boys father, not just Deran's deadbeat Dad. Guess Craig and Pope have different fathers.

and stupid Nikki opening up her big mouth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.