Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Roadies (Showtime) -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/26/16 -- created by Cameron Crowe

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: Roadies (Showtime) -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/26/16 -- created by Cameron Crowe

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I didnt even tune in, recorded two eps, saw the bad reviews here and moved on.. Too much tv to catch up on this summer to wade thru crap
Ditto.
Old 07-06-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Re: Roadies (Showtime) -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/26/16 -- created by Cameron Crowe

Has there ever been as parabolic a film career as Cameron Crowe's? He starts writing Fast Times, then directs Say Anything, Singles, Jerry Maguire -- all better than the last. He absolutely peaks with Almost Famous. Then he stumbles a little with Vanilla Sky. Then comes the dreck of Elizabethtown, We Bought a Zoo and the truly awful Aloha. Now he's found a new low with this show. I couldn't even make it through the pilot in one sitting it was so dull.
I does make for a fascinating career arc though. I've now given up hope of him ever regaining his form.
Old 07-06-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, on a far more epic scale. (Forgive the pun.)

Old 07-06-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, that's a good point - he's been working his way to Almost Famous, and after blowing his load on that, he was spent, with nothing left to say or do.
Old 07-06-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's trying to recapture that fire. Not going to happen, the 70s were the 70s.
Old 07-06-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Has there ever been as parabolic a film career as Cameron Crowe's?
Peter Bogdanovich...

Old 07-06-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Bogdanovich was a wunderkind - The Last Picture Show was his first major motion picture. Plus he had a bit of a career resurgence with Mask in 1985.

Coppola is a more parabolic, but he did make better films after his personal disaster One from the Heart such as The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, Cotton Club and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Plus as great as Apocolypse Now is, I still think his peak was The Godfather 1 & 2. A fairly parabolic career, but not nearly as perfect a parabola as Crowe.
Old 07-11-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show is kind of losing me... it's just not going anywhere. But I gotta say, that live performance of Lindsay Buckingham doing Big Love was fucking great. Was that recorded especially for this show?

It reminded me of this amazing (live) cover of it:
Old 07-11-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Was just checking in to see if the 3rd episode has miraculously gotten better - but I guess not. I think everyone else has bailed since there's only been 1 post since the latest episode.

Originally Posted by flashburn
But I gotta say, that live performance of Lindsay Buckingham doing Big Love was fucking great. Was that recorded especially for this show?
Because you mentioned Lindsay Buckingham being on it, I streamed the episode and skipped right to his performance. "Big Love" looks to be recorded just for this episode with crowd noise dubbed over top. It's very similar to his rendition of it the first time I heard it on the live CD/DVD "The Dance" from 1997. It really is incredible.

Coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally), Cameron Crowe used that exact cut in his movie "Elizabethtown".
Old 07-19-16, 09:06 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

We watched the first episode last night and, my god, was that awful or what. Based on what I've read it doesn't get better, so I guess I'm out.
Old 07-19-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Even as a huge fan of rock & roll, what kills this show for me (and also Vinyl) is how they mythologise rock & roll as if they're gods or something. They take themselves WAY too seriously. Some ground-level shit, where they take the piss out of themselves would've worked so much better. But then, how do you do that after Spinal Tap?
Old 07-20-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
For some reason, they took the only interesting character, Phil, and fired him in the first episode. What?
This.

I really wanted to like this show, but this was a fatal mistake even with Phil now appearing on Skype.

And what about that stupid Cincinnati curse thing that dominated this week's episode?

I will admit that I enjoyed Vinyl even for all of its silliness, but Roadies is just awful.
Old 07-20-16, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I sort like Imogen Poots and her character, but it's just a fucking misfire on every level. It doesn't know if it wants to be an unfunny comedy or an undramtic drama, and it's trying too hard to make us like it. It's mawkish and cloying and corny, badly written, badly acted, and badly directed.

And, yeah, Phil was sort of interesting in his first few scenes, but he was quickly revealed to be a total idiot.

I have no idea how this thing made it onto Showtime. J.J. Abrams swinging his big lightsaber dick around?
Old 08-20-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Apparently unlikely to return for a 2nd season: http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/08/roadies-cancelled.html

David Nevins, Showtime's President, was quoted as saying "Probably at the end of its run."
Old 08-20-16, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I really like this show. It's funny, touching, and I find the characters engaging. Maybe it's because we're both in our 60's and lived through the era when rock concerts were one of the most important things in life. I was in the music business for many years and find this show is spot-on for how it really was.
Old 08-20-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
This.

I really wanted to like this show, but this was a fatal mistake even with Phil now appearing on Skype.

And what about that stupid Cincinnati curse thing that dominated this week's episode?

I will admit that I enjoyed Vinyl even for all of its silliness, but Roadies is just awful.
Yep, vinyl, though heavily flawed, had potential. The stuff with The Dolls, Alice Cooper, Led Zep... was pretty good. It gave you a feel about how loose everything was back then. It coulda been a contender but the new guy did not like it. Roadies is just mawkish. And it makes rock look boring.
Old 08-20-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny
My husband and I really like this show. It's funny, touching, and I find the characters engaging. Maybe it's because we're both in our 60's and lived through the era when rock concerts were one of the most important things in life. I was in the music business for many years and find this show is spot-on for how it really was.
I think that's part of the problem - the show is accurate for how the music business WAS. However, the show is set in 2016 and Crowe is still romanticising the 70's era of music. It doesn't ring true. He's basically trying to re-create Almost Famous for the modern day.
Old 09-16-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Not surprising...Roadies has been canceled by Showtime.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/roadies-...on-1201819244/
Old 09-17-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crowe's track record since after Almost Famous has been pretty poor. You know you're not doing good when the best thing you did in 16 years is "We Bought a Zoo".
Old 09-19-16, 02:51 AM

no more weekly imogen poots
Old 04-09-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I guess I'm fucking crazy but I fucking love this show. Just started streaming it, and only have 2 episodes left. It has a wonderful, eclectic bunch of characters that only Crowe could come up with. Ron White is the highlight and what a surprise he has been. More on that later. Rafe Pall is great as the outsider exec. Plots is cute as a button. Romanticizing rock works for me. I loved the tribute to the 11 that died in the Cinci Who concert.

For those that bailed you totally missed Phil's return. It's a flashback episode of his days starting out with Skynyrd. It was damn good...i could watch a whole movie about it. To close the episode, he has an amazing speech about how his friend, RVS, died in the plane crash. It's rare that a tv show or actor moves me, but Ron White fucking nailed it, in spades. It's basically a stand-alone episode that could be watched out of context since the bulk of it is a flashback.

I can't wait to finish it up.