Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

BrainDead (CBS) -- From creators of The Good Wife -- S: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: BrainDead (CBS) -- From creators of The Good Wife -- S: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Originally Posted by DJariya
Mary Elizabeth Winstead was one of the leads on A&E's remake of "The Returned" I'm pretty sure you watched that.

Danny Pino is best known for his stint on Cold Case.
Ah, ok, Cold Case, not Without a Trace. I knew it was one of those procedurals I used to watch.

I did watch The Returned remake, but I don't remember her. Was she the character who lost her fiancee?
Old 06-23-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: BrainDead (CBS) -- From creators of The Good Wife -- S: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm really enjoying it. I might need to re-watch episode 2 because my DirecTV lost signal halfway through the episode and i think I missed some plot points when a few scenes got garbled.

I am actually enjoying Danny Pino in this, despite not having really liked him in whatever procedural he was in before (Without a Trace?) I'm not familiar with the female lead, but I like her. She reminds me of a younger version of Carrie from Portlandia.

I loved the recap song!
If you ever get bored, watch the movies Faults (on Netflix) and 10 Cloverfield Lane. They're similar chamber pieces and she's excellent in them.
Old 06-23-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Ah, ok, Cold Case, not Without a Trace. I knew it was one of those procedurals I used to watch.

I did watch The Returned remake, but I don't remember her. Was she the character who lost her fiancee?
Yes, that was her.
Old 07-12-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just watched the 4th episode. More solid stuff! I really dig how alien bugs eating half of someone's brain turns them into an extreme ideologue.
Old 07-12-16, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Do the ants have an agenda or are they just letting people run wild?
Old 07-12-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Do the ants have an agenda or are they just letting people run wild?
Good question. Sometimes they seem to be working together, like how Laurel's friend trapped their mutual friend in the bathroom to get infected. But then you have those two neighbors and senators at each others throats. Seems like the ants agenda is to just infect everyone and then cause havoc from there.
Old 07-13-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In an earlier episode, weren't they at Laurel's house and she ran off to work? I have been wondering why they didn't hang out and infect her later. Seems like they could infect everyone by now.
Old 07-14-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there must be something that makes certain people immune or bad host candidates...not sure what it is but our leads must have it. This show is weird and was a slow starter but I'm hooked now and enjoying it.
Old 07-15-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Temporarily moving to Sunday due to the politcal convention(s).
Old 07-15-16, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Temporarily moving to Sunday due to the politcal convention(s).
They should run it opposite the conventions and see which has higher ratings.
Old 07-26-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no way they're gonna have Laurel infected by the bugs, right?
Old 07-26-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Will kinda ruin the show if she is. Gotta say really loving MEW in this role.
Old 07-30-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having her infected could work for an episode or two now that the brother (and friends) would recognize her symptoms. She could be the first one that is cured. If there is such a thing for something that removes brain matter.
Old 07-31-16, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Having her infected could work for an episode or two now that the brother (and friends) would recognize her symptoms. She could be the first one that is cured. If there is such a thing for something that removes brain matter.
Brain transplant? Calling Donald Trump!
Old 08-01-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tonight's episode was great. The first scene with getting the bugs out of her head was hilarious, as was the previously-on song that pretty much mimicked my last post.

I like how things are moving along at a good clip, with both the audience and the characters finding things out not too fast and not too slow. It's a delicate balance in genre shows.
Old 08-02-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Slop101, I second that the opening scene of her friends trying to get the bugs out of her ear was just wonderful. I kept chuckling that they were right outside her bedroom door as she worked to pump up her dopamine levels...just great. Such an underrated show.
Old 08-02-16, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Such an underrated show.
I agree and really look forward to it every week. I think the chemistry between the cast is fantastic.

I also think it would have made a great pairing with "Limitless". Unfortunately, the ratings are horrible and will most likely suffer the same cancellation fate as "Limitless".
Old 08-04-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 'getting the bugs out' scene was so ridiculous and goofy...in the best possible way. I was howling with laughter and loved it. I wish more people were watching but it's a hard show to sell - it's a show about politics, space bugs and it's from the creators of THE GOOD WIFE... these 3 things seem like oil and water to most....but somehow they're making it work.
Old 08-05-16, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdc3000
The 'getting the bugs out' scene was so ridiculous and goofy...in the best possible way. I was howling with laughter and loved it. I wish more people were watching but it's a hard show to sell - it's a show about politics, space bugs and it's from the creators of THE GOOD WIFE... these 3 things seem like oil and water to most....but somehow they're making it work.
The space bugs are secondary, it's really political satire. Well done tho, and funny as hell. (I say this and I wouldn't come close to watching The Good Wife)
Old 08-08-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another good episode. Man, they make you really hate the bug-infected people, don't they? I like that they figured out how to manipulate them, even though it doesn't make much sense.
Old 08-15-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm bummed more people aren't into this show - it's pretty much the best thing airing right now (I know it's a TV drought right now, but still).

I like how the show isn't content to spin it's wheels, even though it could, as they're revealing new things about the bugs every week, and there's a good sense of progression as well as equal amount of comedy, drama and tension. That's a tough balancing act.

Also, they keep topping themselves with those intro/previously-on songs.
Old 08-15-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I watch it on Amazon Prime (which I think has a 1-week delay). The last episode where she almost got waterboarded was intense.
Old 08-15-16, 11:36 PM
Banned

Opening sequence was awesome this week with the faux drug-commercial.

Nobody watches this show- unfortunate really. Well done political satire is hard to find.
Old 08-16-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks to you guys I lost about 4 hours of my time today. Watched the first 4 episodes on Amazon, now I'm hooked. I don't see how this goes more than one season though.
Old 08-22-16, 07:53 PM
Banned

Well, Michael Moore makes an interesting guest appearance this week.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.