Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last Ship (TNT) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 6/19/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Last Ship (TNT) - Season 3 Thread - premieres 6/19/16

I dunno. I thought it was kind of a sad finale, even when the show jumped a whole school of sharks in the first season & has just gotten progressively over-the-top (which doesn't have to be a bad thing if the creative team could come up with some interesting twists).

Instead, it's like they are out-Baying themselves every episode. Might have to consider this a series finale & move on rather than sticking it out as I did with Falling Skies (only to be disappointed).

Pet peeves:

(1) Three Nathan James crewmembers are worth about 50 militarily-trained enemy professionals, whether armies, guerillas, mercs, Secret Service, or any other armed force.

(2) During an attack, the James' crew always yell & go into panic mode. Contrast that with the reviews of "Sully," which supposedly shows civilians under extreme stress while in a highly-dangerous situation new to them all (pilots, air traffic controllers, flight attendants, etc.) who all act very professionally & stay remarkably calm.

(3) Stupid villains...and not just talking about the cannon fodder who jump out from behind cover to make easy targets. Allison had the ace in the hole with Chandler's kids...why would she trade them for him except to have him to execute? It would be far more likely that he would put up resistance or that military action would be taken even while he was prisoner than for the kids' lives to be put at risk.

(4) Tex being allowed to jump down & "sneak" to the rear of the plane...all the while in plain view of a platoon of soldiers supposedly guarding the plane. If it was that easy, why didn't somebody else circle around & sneak aboard while everyone was distracted?

Just lazy writing that, to me, says that the showrunners either think the audience doesn't care or is too stupid to notice. And it doesn't help that the same scenarios get played out over & over, whether it's the land assaults carried out with ease, people getting taken prisoner & then turning the tables, or the Nathan James swatting down missiles with high-caliber machine guns.

The super-macho-ness, hot chicks who never muss their hair or makeup while assaulting a fortified position, or incompetence of the enemy could be overlooked if they'd just come up with some different plots for a change.

For those who love the show, not trying to rain on the parade, so apologies for the griping. Just disappointed because I had higher hopes for the show, even if it was just a guilty pleasure. I haven't gotten invested in many of the characters at all; Tex's death & the few other notables didn't get any emotional reaction from me. In fact, the last one who struck a chord was Rachel.

If the writers/producers would just put some more effort into the plots, I'd be willing to hang on for the ride. This season just left me with a "meh" reaction.

Military experts: Can "smoke" be an effective deterrent against missiles which are locked onto coordinates?

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-12-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved the finale even though they seemed to play fast and loose when it comes to travel time. I suspect Chandler will become the next Tex. The ex military guy that leads a small team along to rescue Mike and the James when things get messy. Hopefully the just find somebody better than Elisabeth Rohm for the next villain.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-13-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical for the show, really really bad writing, horrendous acting by many of the actors including the wooden Dane, but for some reason I still enjoy it.

They signed for 2 more seasons, I hope they come up with a better storyline than S2 and S3.
Old 09-13-16, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully, we'll get to see the yet-t0-be-filmed script: Gator Saves the Day.
Old 09-13-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Pet peeves:
Here's one you missed: The dialog is so riddled with cringe-inducing clichés that some entire conversations consist of nothing but. Combine that with the weirdly stilted and over the top "I'm so serious" acting and it ventures into the comical.
Old 09-14-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
Typical for the show, really really bad writing, horrendous acting by many of the actors including the wooden Dane, but for some reason I still enjoy it.

They signed for 2 more seasons, I hope they come up with a better storyline than S2 and S3.
It works for me too, since I see it as basic popcorn action entertainment. Low expectations.
Old 09-17-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

Great season finale. Action is top notch on this show. Only complaint is the cliched idea that one of the main characters has to die in a season finale. Too many shows are doing that these days.

Great renewal news too.
Old 11-17-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

on episode 11 now. Letting the blonde live was an idiot move

edit:
well at least in the end they finally took her out although now the captain is going to cry about it

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-17-16 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/eric...wn-1202404201/

Production of the show shut down due to Eric Dane suffering from depression.

They are currently filming season 5. Season 4 has already wrapped.

On another note, just noticed the BD of season 3 (comes out tomorrow) is not available for order on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Ship-Com...+ship+season+3

Some really stupid comments on the Variety Facebook page and other news outlets about Dane's depression. Some saying he's rich with a hot wife, great job and family, why is he depressed? People don't seem to get that depression is more than that and has deep mental health issues.

I hope he gets the help he needs.