DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   How re-watchable is The Wire... for you? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634804-how-re-watchable-wire-you.html)

Dan 06-01-16 03:43 PM

How re-watchable is The Wire... for you?

I finally finished the series. Watched seasons 4 and 5 in less than 48 hours. I have to say, I quite enjoyed those two seasons a lot... more than I was expecting. Maybe it's because I put the show off for YEARS... but going into Season 4 fresh was excellent.

I remember enjoying Seasons 1 through 3; 2 being my favourite of that bunch, but 4 definitely tops them all, in my opinion. At times, the other seasons felt like they dragged in places, but maybe I'll appreciate them even more now.

Anyway, my question is really: Have you re-watched The Wire? Did you re-watch the entire series or just specific seasons?

I'm thinking of starting over from Season 1.

I'm going to add a poll to this. I don't know how many options to give, so I'm just going to wing it. I'm more interested in written answers anyway.

mwbmis 06-01-16 03:49 PM

Re: How re-watchable is The Wire... for you?

I've only re-watched the first two seasons. I haven't watched 3-5 since they originally aired. I did get a lot of the re-watch of the first two seasons, especially season 2.

In my mind, there are so many characters to keep track of that re-watching it can serve to enhance the experience as you know who the players are now.

HN 06-01-16 04:00 PM

only seen it once.

for reference, i've only seen a handful of shows, in order, multiple times:

-Deadwood (4x maybe)
-Band of Brothers (3x)
-Rome (2x)
-Young Justice (2x)
-Game of Thrones (each season at least 2x as i go back and watch the previous season before the new one starts)
-Friends (2x -- original airing and after getting the "The One With All Of Them" box set)

bluetoast 06-01-16 04:27 PM

I saw the final season as it aired, haven't really revisited it since then, though it's memorable enough that most of the major characters and storylines are still fresh in my mind. But a month ago, I was watching a string of Season 2 episodes. Didn't mean to get sucked in, but I ended up rewatching like 5 or 6 episodes.

Still very engaging, but it's funny when in one episode, someone introduces McNulty to the concept of "text messaging." Even though the show takes place in 2002, technology/budget wise, the PD (and McNulty himself) is still in the mid 90s. It's always funny when the FBI comes in gives them access to high tech shit and they marvel at it.

bunkaroo 06-01-16 04:29 PM

I can rewatch this series every 2 years or so.

Cardsfan111 06-01-16 04:40 PM

I've never seen it. But I own it and plan to get to it someday.

lisadoris 06-01-16 06:51 PM

I re-watch all of the shows I have on DVD and I think I've gone through The Wire 3 times. Season 4 is my favorite and it's probably the most depressing of the seasons too. I think the show is easier to follow the second time around because you know who everyone is. That also makes some things more heartbreaking because you know where characters end up.

Inhumans99 06-01-16 07:13 PM

If I did not have so much other TV vying for my attention I would re-visit this series...it is that good. One of the few series I bought on DVD that I actually ended up opening and watching as I picked up season sets (did not have cable at the time, even basic cable, when this aired).

Paff 06-01-16 07:38 PM

I'm debating making it my summer viewing. I was in a used record store last year, and the newly released Blu Ray complete set of The Wire was just $59.99. Had to grab it, but I've only seen season 1 (and that was via DVD a couple of years ago). Would love to dive into the show, and maybe I will.

Groucho 06-01-16 08:11 PM

I think I could re-watch any season except the one with the alcoholic duck.

Why So Blu? 12-29-19 01:35 PM

It's very re-watchable. I started re-watching it on Christmas day. I just started season 3. It's funny how weirdly structured season 2 was with the docks way back when it first aired, but in a binge-watch session, it flows much better. I remember folks getting turned off by the exploration of the docks when it first aired.

fiver 12-29-19 03:20 PM

I think it's very re-watchable, although admittedly it's been a few years - I was thinking of rewatching it again soon when I catch up on a few other shows I'm in the middle of.
I thought it was a slow show when I first watched season 1, and I had some trouble understanding why season 2 was so different from 1, but then when I finally 'got' how this show approached each season, it immediately skyrocketed to the top of my list of shows. Unfortunately, I didn't think season 5 landed as strongly as the first four seasons but I think I've only seen S5 when it aired whereas I've seen the other seasons multiple times.

Bill Needle 12-30-19 03:18 AM

Watched it through once, enjoyed it, have no desire to ever pick it up again.

Timber 12-30-19 12:09 PM

I've watched the first 3 seasons more than 3 times the 4th season I think twice and the 5th season only once. I revisit it every year or so.