Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 11 Thread -- now with Simon Cowell

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 11 Thread -- now with Simon Cowell

Old 07-26-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,229 Likes on 880 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 11 Thread -- now with Simon Cowell

Tape Face is really fascinating. The stuff he does, in and of itself, isn't remarkable at all, but he's cultivated this brilliant and weird persona that you just can't take your eyes off of.
Old 07-27-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorites of the night are Jayna, Laurie May, and Tape Face.
Old 07-27-16, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
John Dorrenbraus
Ha ha ha ha! That was just amazing and historical. I mean, the dude has such a great stage presence and I really dig his persona! I will say though, did he grab that bag from off stage? Where someone could of seen (via hidden cameras) what they drew and then "redrew them" into the bag?
Yeah, he either had an assistant fill out the cards and put them into the bag, or he filled out the cards himself when he was writing the "NO" sign and slipped them in himself. (Though he didn't appear see Simon's dog -- that he thought was a gun -- before he did it.

Also looked like he kind of botched the trick when he handed Simon Howie's shirt drawing.
Old 07-27-16, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

tape face is my fave.. love that guy...

magician long snapper was amazing...

great show... been a great season, thoroughly enjoying this with the family
Old 07-27-16, 07:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Just submitted my Duncan save for Deadly Games. Easily the best act of the three.

------

Wow, surprised MUSICALITY made it through. I think they're story (which is a good one) sold them through. And they're from Chicago, so that makes it better!

Ok... I figured the two best singers were gonna make it. I'm definitely looking forward to the opera singer again.

Not surprised either (Joyner or Outlawz) didn't make it.

Glad the NFL Eagles player made it. His last trick was probably his weakest, but he seems like such a cool dude.

TAPE FACE!!! #ImWithTape

Wow... surprised everyone loved Kid Hillary so much. It'll be interesting to see if she can stay ballsy but be different next time.

Yes! Glad Deadly Games made it through. They were definitely impressive.

Last edited by Matto1020; 07-27-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 605 Likes on 426 Posts

Watched the live performances and results show back to back. That was quite anti-climactic. Picked all 7 before watching the live show. The ones that went home... I want to say deserved it, but that's too harsh. They just didn't bring it or improve and some just were worse. They were easy to pick out.

Musicality was easily the weakest of the seven, and yeah, their story carried them this week. No worries, if they don't get better America is usually pretty good about weeding out the stories from the talent.

I like Lori May, but this wasn't her strongest set despite being longer. I think she was nervous though.

I think the two to beat from this batch are TapeFace (Ghost was hilarious) and Laura Bretan (opera girl).
Old 07-27-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 111 Posts

Just submitted my Duncan save for Deadly Games.
I guess that product placement isn't working very well.
Old 07-29-16, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Holy shit. Just happened to flip by on the final act with the 13yo girl. That's going to be trending tomorrow.

If she's the 13 year old comedian (?), sorry I don't think she is that funny,,,or good,
Old 07-29-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Opera girl was last and likely who he was referring to.
Old 08-02-16, 04:13 PM

Second Week of Live Shows tonight... and an interesting piece of info: Apparently someone has "leaked" how the acts will do tonight and which will advance and which won't. This could obviously lead to some big issues with the show being fixed and votes not truly counting. Guess we'll just have to see how everything plays out.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!
Spoiler:
Old 08-02-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Second Week of Live Shows tonight... and an interesting piece of info: Apparently someone has "leaked" how the acts will do tonight and which will advance and which won't. This could obviously lead to some big issues with the show being fixed and votes not truly counting. Guess we'll just have to see how everything plays out.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!
Spoiler:
Hilarious if true.
Old 08-02-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!
Spoiler:
Looks like that's from wikipedia.

Could just be someone fucking around on their page; surely the show isn't scripted to point they know which judges will buzz which performers.
Old 08-02-16, 07:09 PM

So let's see if those results are accurate. Anyways, here we go:

FLIP
Nothing memorable. Howie nailed it, no really big moves.

Moya Angela
Well, that proves the Wiki post is wrong ha, ha! And I think I definitely agree with Mel B, didn't think the song choice did her any favors. Let's see how the rest of the night goes...

Viktor Kee
Darn! Loved this guy every performance he's given, and tonight was no different, despite the drop. Hope he makes it through.

Katie Lynn
Not a fan of country... and didn't find this performance very special. Too much backing vocal to drown her out.

Ryan and Amber Lynn
Ha ha ha! God I hate this stuff... but I can't stop laughing during the whole thing. HOLY SHIT! Arrow right to the throat with a sword in it. Wow... I can't see them making it through on that. That was hard to watch.

Calysta Bevier
Really enjoyed her performance. Great song choice that didn't feel forced because of her story.

Sofie Dossi
Third time she ended with shooting the bow and arrow. Yeah I get it was blindfolded this time... but come on... let's try something a bit different.

The Clairvoyants
So glad they didn't do her sitting on the chair blindfolded. I have no idea how they did that, but it was great!

Sal Valentanetti
I enjoyed him again, but I definitely liked his first performance better. Hope he makes it through, though.

Throwings
That was pretty amazing! Even if they had the one tiny "misjumsp."

Steven Brundage
Wow! Now that was very impressive! Much better than last time where we basically knew how he did his trick immediately.

Sos and Victoria
Ha ha that was fun, but I think we got to see a little too much how the clothes switching works.

Last edited by Matto1020; 08-02-16 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 10:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The singers again... Sal was fun and at least felt like more of a complete act than just another singer. But the others just didn't impress me. I don't think any of them were bad, but if I'm being honest... if any of those three were on the Voice blind auditions I think they would struggle to get a chair turn. Again, it's not that they aren't good, but in the sea of solid singers we've seen in all these singing/talent shows they are just kind of in the middle.

I think Sofie is amazing, but I agree I'd like to see her throw in a different element beside the bow to keep her momentum up. It's the reason I thought the Clairvoyants were so good tonight... just when I thought I had their act possibly figured out, they changed it up and blew me away.

ThroWings was cool, but the strobe element didn't work for me. While I understood it added to the danger, it also made it tougher to see the tricks themselves so it was sort of a wash.

I agree with whoever said Flip looked like a bunch of backup dancers missing their star. What they did was fine, but definitely not exciting enough to move on.

I like Viktor and I think the drop didn't hurt him because his act so more fleshed out... a lot of jugglers simply rely on the juggling feat itself to entertain, but he's made it just one element of his overall performance which makes it easier to forgive these minor mistakes.

Ryan and Amber Lynn... yikes. The whole thing was surreal when the miss happens with that corny music playing. I can only assume the arrows had some sort of safety tips that were designed to break apart on impact, as it seems his chief concern when it hit him was the fire.

Steven Brundage initially impressed me, but thanks to the way the show was shot it was pretty clear how he pulled it off.

Spoiler:
He doesn't use Howie's cube at all. When he takes the cube from Howie at least two of the sides were clearly visible from that camera angle. The configuration didn't match any of the sides on the cube he claimed was Howie's moments later, the one that matched the other cubes. He clearly does a quick swap when he 'demonstrates' how he worked his own cube behind his back. It's still a fun trick, but that sort of thing doesn't work as well on tv as he's unable to protect from that sort of thing. It's one thing for the home audience to have a good idea how you did the trick; it's another if anyone with a DVR can easily spot the truth.
Old 08-03-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Viktor Kee
Katie Lynn
Calysta Bevier
Sofie Dossi
The Clairvoyants
Steven Brundage
Sos and Victoria

I think these go thru
Old 08-03-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like last week I think the lesser acts did more to get the boot than the good acts excelled to move on.

My 6 in bold:
Except for Sal, the singers were lacking this week, and even his wasn't as good as his last performance.

I like Brundage, so I'm glad to have him back, but he does seem a bit out of his league. He needs to work on his sleight of hand and just overall presentation. Of course some of that could be chalked up to nerves getting 'one last shot.'

Viktor was excellent again despite the drop. Like Viktor, Sophie Dossi has entertained each time, but I agree with Matto, time to see something different. Clairvoyants basically did the same exact trick as Dorenbos, just with two people. It was still entertaining.

Number six for me is a toss up. It'll be one of the three singers. Moya did nothing for me. Calysta Bevier was good but lacked the power the song she chose needed. That leaves Katie Lynn. The backing vocals were a bit too strong, but I'll go with her. She's cute and America loves country music (i.e. the Voice).
Old 08-03-16, 06:21 PM

My picks for who will go through tonight:

My Predicitions
1. Viktor Kee
2. Calysta Bevier
3. The Clairvoyants
4. Sal Valentenetti
5. Steven Brundage
6. Ryan and AmberLynn (could be the surprise of the night)

Wow... Sal in trouble. Didn't expect that. I just gave him my Dunkin Save.

1. The Clairvoyants (No surprise there)
2. Viktor Kee
3. Brundage (Sneaky Nick Cannon... you do that all the time yet I still fall for it)
4. Soffi Dossie (Again, not really surprised. Too bad about Ryan and Amberlynn)
5. Calysta Bevier (Glad she made it through! Definitely dug her performance last night)
6. Sal (Good on you Sal! Maybe tone back just a bit on the "Im gonna win this thing!" though)
7. Katie Lynn (Ugh.... was so hoping for the ThroWings)

Last edited by Matto1020; 08-03-16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Viktor Kee and Brundage both made it through.

Not really a fan of Brundage; it's damned obvious how he does the cube tricks that it's boring to see him do the same schtick week after week. When you can go back on your DVR and see that the cubes don't match it's really lame.

I really enjoy watching Viktor. His moves are insane. Weird that he dropped one of the balls during a fairly standard juggling move,

Also hope Ryan and Amber make it through. I want to see what they do next.
Old 08-03-16, 09:58 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the leak isn't even close. Someone just made it up based on his/her best guess.
Old 08-03-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got em all but Calysta... I forgot 7 move on though. Always throws me for a loop.

7. Katie Lynn (Ugh.... was so hoping for the ThroWings)
Never seen the Voice? Never underestimate America's passion with voting in the country singer.
Old 08-04-16, 12:10 AM

So when did Simon Cowell get his ****s chopped off?
Old 08-04-16, 10:13 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Not really a fan of Brundage; it's damned obvious how he does the cube tricks that it's boring to see him do the same schtick week after week. When you can go back on your DVR and see that the cubes don't match it's really lame.
That's the problem I had with him this week. I know he doesn't have control over the cameras and directing, but if you're going to have your centerpiece trick hinge on the most common of all magic techniques (basic sleight of hand), you need to be better at pulling off that swap and find a better way to limit exposing yourself.

First he held Howie's original cube out for too long... the camera clearly caught at least two of the sides. Then he made the behind the back swap too obvious... literally the moment he did it I knew what he was up to. I think it would have been a good trick for a stage show, but for tv it wasn't the best choice.
Old 08-23-16, 07:01 PM

Glad Live Shows are back tonight. Gotta say tonights lineup doesn't look too amazing so far. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Vello Veher
Hmmm... the dude is pretty crazy for what he does, but the problem is it just takes him so long to do it.

Ronnie
Meh... not too impressed. Bring on the dude who sang, "Creep"

The Kid Magicians
Jesus... I hated these kids last time, hate them again this time even more. The kid's tricks a re so subpar, and they have the worst timing on the planet. Next...

Linkin' Bridge
Maybe it's the weed, but this just didn't seem big and epic like I was hoping. Half way through I hit MUTE and turned on "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego"

Alla and Daniel
This is easily the creepiest act this whole season, and I can't believe it's gone on this long. It has to be because the mom is a total milf.

Blake Vogt
Woof. This kid's showmanship is terrible. And what is it with every magician this season doing the magic fakeouts? "That would of been cool wouldn't it!!" Granted the trick was cool, despite the camera being off his hands for a significantly long time after he took the card from the egg.

Edgar Family Band
I prepared myself for a lame episode, and unfortunately it's hitting my expectations. At least we got another milf!

Julia Scotti
FINALLY!!! Wow, that was a fantastic set! I was crying laughing at the animal cruelty analogy. Seems like the coolest grandma in the world. Definitely going through, and well deserved.

Brian Justin Crum
Man... he was the act I was looking forward to the most, but tonight I think was a definite step backward. It's funny how they always show the Howie starring dreamily when he sang Creep, and that's how I picture I was. But tonight was definitely not that. Hopefully his next performance is better.

Malevo
So their act consisted of loud drumming that they weren't doing and then so loud you couldn't hear them tap dancing. Really?

Jugglers
This is how terrible tonight's episode is, I'm not even paying attention to the names of these acts. I mean, it's a clever idea, but it just came off as weird. I don't know... they don't have much competition tonight so its looking good for them.

Grace Vanderwaal
Thanks goodness it's the last act of the night. They sure stacked those first two live shows with the great acts. Goodnight America.

Last edited by Matto1020; 08-23-16 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I was on the edge of my seat and, honestly, almost in tears when they called up both Grace AND Brian. I was thinking there was no way they could send this phenomenally talented little girl home after that beautiful number, against Brian's sub-par performance tonight, all the while continually held up with the same "poor bullied gay boy" story. It's getting tiresome, and that was not a good song he did. Overall, I don't know why everyone seems to think he's as good as he's being portrayed. He's got a good voice, but he's too over-the-top, and, again, enough of the "poor me" backstory. Grace is a genuine talent beyond her years, and I think she could definitely take this whole thing. I might have stopped watching this show immediately if she didn't make it through.

Glad they finally rid us of contortionist guy, whose act seemed to consist of progressively fancier sets with him just doing the same legs-behind-the-head, hanging-by-the-teeth, belly-rolling over and over. Not even sure how he made it this far. Sad to get the guy's hopes up when he really had no hope at all.
Old 08-25-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The mother and son dance act seems a little... creepy. Wasn't that song they were dancing to about a guy pressuring his girlfriend into screwing him on the beach?

The jugglers were awful. Worst case of judge brown-nosing yet. Maybe it would have looked better if it was shown from above, but it just came off like they were swinging the three around randomly.

And, yeah, the old guy contortionist just does the same every week. Time for him to go. Wonder if Sophie is going to shoot another arrow with her feet in the semi-finals.

I sort of like the kid magicians. Their tricks aren't very sophisticated, but they work well together and seem to be having fun.

Blake really needs to work on stage presence. He always seems a little "off." A big part of the magician's act is hold and control the audience's attention, and he doesn't do that.

I usually ignore the singers, but Grace is really good. I think she can win this thing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.