Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gear (BBC America) - Season 23 Thread - Premieres 5/30/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-30-16, 05:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the first show of the new series, Chris Evans takes the Dodge Viper ACR to the home of Top Gun in Nevada, to battle Sabine Schmitz in a Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Matt LeBlanc tackles wildest Morocco in Somerset's finest off-roader, the Ariel Nomad.

Back on British soil, Evans and LeBlanc take a rather soggy road trip to Blackpool in a pair of roofless Reliant three-wheelers, whereupon they are tasked with defending the honour of their nations in a series of gruelling UK-versus-USA challenges.

Back in the studio, this week's celebrity guests are Social Network star Jesse Eisenberg and Gordon Ramsey.

Top Gear premieres tonight at 8PM on BBC America. This is the first episode with new hosts Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc.

6 episode season.
Old 05-30-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Top Gear (BBC America) - Season 23 Thread - Premieres 5/30/16

Big Ben does not lean like that.

If they can't even get Big Ben right, this new series is going to be shit.
Old 05-30-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was OK. The new hosts were alright, but much like all the Top Gear spin offs everything felt very scripted and forced. To be fair a lot of the produced bits on the original were getting that way as well, but the hosts still managed to come of natural in the studio or during some improved bits when filming. Considering it's the first episode it was OK. Matt came off better than Evans, though Evans was doing the heavily lifting and had bigger shoes to fill.

Making the SIARPC segment rally themed with off road bits is a good idea. It should make for some good in-car footage, and I was a bit surprised they didn't show more of that. I guess they were pretty pressed for time. Having 2 celebs at once made things a bit rushed. The interviews were never my favorite bit of the show, but I could appreciate when they were good. Having 2 celebs at once gives the bit more energy, but also makes it feel less intimate.
Old 05-31-16, 12:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It felt like a poor man's version of Top Gear. Chris Evans seemed to be doing a Jeremy Clarkson impersonation. LeBlanc was fine, but didn't have much to do. The UK vs USA challenge was a failure and should have been cut from the show.

I thought using a rally car was an improvement. But the 2 celebs segment was a mess. It might have been better if they had some chemistry together (best friends, co-stars, bandmates, etc). But using 2 random celebs didn't work.
Old 05-31-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Captain America got blamed for how ‘rubbish’ the new Top Gear reboot was

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/31/oops-c...t-was-5916126/

One is the ginger host for the revamped BBC motoring show Top Gear. The other is a Hollywood star who most recently graced the big screen in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War. Fans got VERY confused between the two Chris Evans after Top Gear premiered on Sunday.

Actor Evans got a lot of flak thrown his way via his Twitter account @ChrisEvans as angry TV viewers berated him mistakenly. Top Gear host Evans’ handle is @achrisevans.

The relaunched series of Top Gear was savaged by critics with many accusing Evans of copying old host Jeremy Clarkson. Perhaps not even Captain America has the superpowers to save it?

Old 05-31-16, 05:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was very flat. Even the Chris Harris after show was flat..
Old 05-31-16, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't sure what to expect, but that wasn't it.

I really thought there would be some substantive changes. I believe CH is a real car guy, so I thought there would be more the thinking mans version of Top Gear. Instead it was he boring mans.

I hope it takes a few episodes of filming to figure out what woks and what doesn't, and how strengths and weaknesses of the hosts. What I felt worked were:

1) new off road circuit
2) Matt's comedy and timing

What didn't work:
1) copied set
2) copied monologue
3) Chris in studio
4) dull stars in RPC

I think the worst part was the beginning segment. How do you not take 5 minutes o introduce the entire new team and kick things off fresh? What's worse is Sabine just randomly popped up a segment, then poof.

I fast forwarded through chunks of this. I'll check in on the rest, but unless things improve I expect more fast forwarding.
Old 06-01-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought Chris was pretty terrible but that could be due to nerves on the new show. Matt was better than I expected...makes me wish he was on the US version. I'll continue to tune in because it's Top Gear but it's a pale comparison to the original 3.
Old 06-09-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Episode 2 was a lot better. You can tell more than in the past that the voice over dialogue is scripted. Clarkson delivered it so well, but Evans is just bad. The writers need to find his voice and write for that.

The road trip was fun, but I think somebody like Sabine or Harris would have been better than Jordan. He didn't seem to have too much personality.
Old 06-10-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boring, anodyne and fake. I really disliked the first two episodes. It's hard to tell how much of this is due to a new show trying to find its voice and how much of it is due to the fact that Chris Evans is about as charismatic as a moldy dish sponge. Evans is not funny, he's trying to hard and he looks like a crazed beaver.
Old 06-10-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Evans is one of those british celebrities whose popularity I just can't make sense of. I guess he is/was a shock jock/morning zoo dj. Wikipedia says in 2000 he was the UK's highest paid entertainer. I don't get it, but then I'd probably have a similar reaction if I only knew Howard Stern from that talent show he hosts.

As for the episode, it was OK, but I was kind of disappointed in now little they talked about the cars during the main segment. Beyond engine specs and weight they barely mentioned any differentiating features or qualities. They didn't even bother to argue which was best or even why they each chose the vehicle they had.
Old 06-10-16, 01:18 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

2nd ep was a lot better. but still not great - finding its feet though, I expect the Clarkson show to wipe the floor with this.
Old 06-10-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I made it about 30 minutes into the first episode and decided it wasn't for me. Clarkson, Hammond, and May made the show and it just doesn't work for me without them.

Keeping my fingers crossed that The Grand Tour will be awesome.
Old 06-11-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I fail to understand is how Chris cares so much about cars, and yet comes across so poorly.

https://youtu.be/rxWMYcPX27s

I really think it may be that the producers pushed for him to copy Clarkson, rather than figure out their own thing.
Old 07-04-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chris Evans quits Top Gear after one series
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ter-one-series
Old 07-04-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Evans wasn't that bad in the segments, but he wasn't very good in the studio or during the interviews. Generally I think the dual interview with Evans was the worst aspect of the new show and turned into a automatic 5-10 minutes skip for me. Perhaps now that they've filled the board in a bit they can slow down to 1 guest a week. Making the race rally themed was a good idea though. It makes the videos more entertaining, plus I think it looks like more fun and seems more approachable for novice drivers. It makes weather and track condition a major factor in the times, but that's not a big deal.

Leblanc was good overall, but felt very scripted. He was opposite Evans in that his studio work was pretty good, but his filmed segments were a little weak, particularly his solo efforts.

I've liked Chris Harris since I started watching him on Drive a few years ago and I think he did OK for his filmed stuff. He's a little stiff in the studio, and he can be a bit of an automotive snob, but I think he shows good potential if he loosens up.

Rory Reid felt like amature hour honestly. That's not completely a bad thing, because at the least it feels like he is genuinely excited to be there. Where Harris got a big stiff, Rory seemed a bit try hard. They both have potential.

Sabine is better in small doses. I would enjoy her a segment or two per series, but she wouldn't make a good regular host.

Eddie Jordan, just no. He was a punching bag for the same lame joke all season.

Last edited by wmansir; 07-06-16 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-05-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They need to get Guy Martin in there. He's a professional motorbike racer and has hosted multiple shows of his own. I think he'd fit in well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Martin
Old 07-05-16, 05:40 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - I'm not surprised, the show hasn't really hit its stride, the last couple were good, but I think mostly because of the cars they had in the episodes. that 911R!
Old 07-05-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still need to finish off the last 2 episodes. They really needed to do some test segments to figure out the personalities of the presenters. They tried to shoe horn them into the old mold and it just didn't work.

I hope the next series, will air this year (?), is able to build on the strong points.
Old 07-06-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they're touting Matt LeBlanc as the "successful" host then this show is doomed. I'm not sure what was worse, Evans' spastic energy or LeBlanc's monotone, I just woke up with a hangover, style.
Old 07-06-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Matt would do a better job with a host he can play off of. He and Chris had less than zero chemistry.
Old 07-06-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
I've liked Chris Harris since I started watching him on Drive a few years ago and I think he did OK for his filmed stuff. He's a little stiff in the studio, and he can be a bit of an automotive snob, but I think he shows good potential if he loosens up.
There's a lot of talk about raising Harris' role in the show. I agree with your assessment. I have followed the guy since he was doing videos at Evo years ago. He does sometimes fall for standard British motoring journalist snobbery and European brand hype. Also, his preferences in what makes a good car are decidedly and unapologetically British. However, all of that is completely appropriate for Top Gear, IMO. Also, he's got charisma, he knows how to put together a piece and he's genuinely entertaining. He's sort of a less snarky Clarkson.

I'm not a fan of Reid or Jordan. I think Leblanc was a bit flat in studio but car pieces were all very good. I'd say roll with LeBlanc, Harris and Sabine. That's an interesting mix of nationalities, personalities and perspectives.
Old 07-06-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Sabine still host Top Gear Germany or would she be available?
Old 07-31-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone watch the new TG America on BBC last night? The hosts need some time to meld well but I enjoyed it. Big fan of Fitchner, so that helps. Big improvement over their first try of TG redone with LeBlanc.
Old 07-31-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Anyone watch the new TG America on BBC last night? The hosts need some time to meld well but I enjoyed it. Big fan of Fitchner, so that helps. Big improvement over their first try of TG redone with LeBlanc.
Thats a different show isnt it? LeBlanc is still on the original Top Gear(UK) isnt he? Top Gear America replaces the old Top Gear America that was on the History channel with Tanner Foust, Rutladge Wood and Adam Ferrarah

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.