DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Chasing TV content -- Where do you and your bank account draw the line? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634741-chasing-tv-content-where-do-you-your-bank-account-draw-line.html)

DJariya 05-27-16 10:11 AM

Chasing TV content -- Where do you and your bank account draw the line?

Thought this might be an interesting topic.

As you all know, there are a shit load of streaming services out there.

Aside from the main 3 (Netflix, Hulu and Amazon), there's a bunch of niche streaming services and now Showtime, HBO and Starz have pay per month streaming services that doesn't require a cable subscription.

"Borrowing" your Mommy and Daddy's Showtime, HBO and Starz accounts doesn't count or using those Raspberry or Bluberry Pie things that looks for pirated streams doesn't count.

Next year, CBS All-Access will have the new Star Trek TV series and also The Good Wife spinoff. They charge $5.99/month.

There's exclusive shows on Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

NBC just launched their pay per month comedy streaming service SeeSo and there's talks of them launching 6 more new services

http://www.techhive.com/article/3020...-services.html

Turner just launched a new subscription streaming service

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news...on-1201760737/

Directv/AT&T plans to launch a new subscription streaming service sometime this year.

http://www.techhive.com/article/3040...-free-one.html

This article is from last August, but it says the costs are adding up. Soon trying to acquire all the content you want will almost cost the same as a cable bill except you have to pay several different companies instead.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1325...o-crowded.html

The costs add up, especially if you're a fan of Orange is the New Black on Netflix, Game of Thrones on HBO and Homeland on Showtime. Netflix and Hulu Plus cost $7.99 a month. Amazon Prime costs $8.25 a month, which includes Amazon Prime Instant Video. HBONow runs $14.99 while Showtime costs $10.99.
There's been talk that The CW may launch a subscription streaming service as well.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cbs-a...service-2016-1

The amount of content/streaming services is getting to the point of being overwhelming.

and that doesn't count getting shows a la carte from Amazon, Vudu or Itunes. Even buying individual shows that way can get super expensive.

I have Directv, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon. But, if I was a non-cable person, I would be overwhelmed trying to figure out all this. I prefer to pay the extra money and have all my content in 1 place.

Or are you one of those that says, this is all I have time for and all I can afford and I have to cut myself off at this point even though I could be missing out on something awesome? Do you think the studios and networks are really overestimating the demand for all these streaming services and content?

tripplej 05-27-16 10:18 AM

Re: Chasing TV content -- Where do you and your bank account draw the line?

I stop paying for sat/cable may years ago due to ever increasing costs and poor customer service. I went to antenna. Now, in terms of paying for channels/movies, I only pay for netflix and amazon prime.. Beyond, that, I don't pay for anything else. I do go to the public library and they do have a huge list of movies and tv shows on dvd so I "checkout" those items. :)

rocket1312 05-27-16 10:44 AM

Until there's a seismic change in the way live sports are distributed, I will most likely always pay for cable. I also subscribe to Netflix and Amazon. Amazon is primarily for the shipping and if it weren't for that, I'd cancel. I barely watch anything via Amazon. As it is, I have more content available than I'll ever watch at this point. I can't imagine adding any new services, although I'll probably do a month or two of Showtime when Twin Peaks comes out. I'm also eager to see what the new Turner service will be like, but I don't like the idea of the Criterion content being an extra charge.

davidh777 05-27-16 10:48 AM

I have cable, plus Amazon for the shipping and I do watch some stuff there. My kid wanted Netflix for college so we share that account. And I have HBO Now for a few months of GOT. I thought about adding Cinemax for the final season of Banshee, but all the haters bummed me out so I decided to save the money since I'll eventually buy the BD anyway.

hdnmickey 05-27-16 10:49 AM

Zero. Not interested at all in paying to watch something that isn't already included in the Xfinity service I already pay for. That keeps me more than busy and we are behind enough on many standard network series as it is.

slop101 05-27-16 10:55 AM

For me, the time I have available to watch all these goddamn shows hits a brick wall long before my bank account does.

DWilson 05-27-16 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tripplej (Post 12812393)
I stop paying for sat/cable may years ago due to ever increasing costs and poor customer service. I went to antenna. Now, in terms of paying for channels/movies, I only pay for netflix and amazon prime.. Beyond, that, I don't pay for anything else. I do go to the public library and they do have a huge list of movies and tv shows on dvd so I "checkout" those items. :)

I've become a huge convert to the library "thing" (after not setting foot in one for 20-odd years). I had stopped buying Comics but now started reading them again. I just wish I could get over my "HD"/BD snobbery, because the library provides free-and-easy access to pretty much every "commercial" DVD. The only thing mine doesn't carry are the more "Grindhouse-y" kind of stuff from the niche distributors.

DJariya 05-27-16 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12812422)
Zero. Not interested at all in paying to watch something that isn't already included in the Xfinity service I already pay for. That keeps me more than busy and we are behind enough on many standard network series as it is.

So I'm guessing you haven't seen any of the Netflix exclusive Marvel shows like Daredevil, Jessica Jones?

hdnmickey 05-27-16 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12812435)
So I'm guessing you haven't seen any of the Netflix exclusive Marvel shows like Daredevil, Jessica Jones?

Or House of Cards or any of the other series that are not on TV networks.

tripplej 05-27-16 11:22 AM

for me, anything that I don't pay for, I wait until it is on dvd and I check it out from the library and/or it shows up on amazon prime or netflix. Obviously, this means, I am not up to date on the latest shows and movies but that is ok with me. I am anyways, a season or two behind any current hit tv show.

stvn1974 05-27-16 11:37 AM

I don't have any streaming services. I also don't subscribe to any premium cable channels. I usually wait for shows like Game Of Thrones, True Blood or The Sopranos to come out on BD and then buy the digital code for cheap to watch on Vudu or something like it.

ChrisHicks 05-27-16 11:51 AM

Outside of my Comcast service which includes their Streampix service I currently have Netflix, Amazon and Full Moon Streaming(for one year with a bunch of extras thrown in making the year a deal to me). I just can't see adding anything else because I don't have enough time to watch everything on what I already pay for.

Trevor 05-27-16 11:55 AM

I pay for high speed internet and get basic basic cable as a bonus. I pay for Netflix, although probably should cancel that. Most of the TV I watch is stuff on disc.

jjcool 05-27-16 12:14 PM

The only things I pay for are the WWE Network, NHL.tv and my third of Amazon prime.

Cardsfan111 05-27-16 12:16 PM

I finally cut the cord (cable, dish, etc.) in October and have barely missed it.

I've sampled a few streaming services, but even at the lower cost, I don't really watch them enough to justify them. Had a Hulu subcription and let it expire. I've currently experimented with Sling TV @ $20/month because it includes ESPN. Did the pre-pay deal for 3 months where I got a Roku device. But I'm finding I only use it for occasional sporting events and the service is only average, so I probably won't renew.

I watch a ton of stuff via disc. My unwatched pile is massive. I'll check out things from Redbox when there's free codes. And I occasionally visit the library--I have 3 discs right next to me from there.

I'd say I'm happy not having the monthly expenses, but I continue to spend on deals that are too-good-to-pass-up. Dollar Tree & Dollar General stores have hit my wallet hard in 2016.

Why So Blu? 05-27-16 12:18 PM

I don't have cable. I do have and pay for PRIME, Netflix, and HULU. I thought about doing a couple of other services but the ROI isn't really there for those. They'll eventually make it to VUDU (I'll pay for an early viewing window) or any of the other streaming services and I'll watch them then. It helps when you have fully loaded queues across the various platforms.

Thrush 05-27-16 12:28 PM

I have cable (Uverse full package), Netflix and Hulu. I also have a pay Funimation account for anime. I could probably do without Hulu as I rarely use it. I'm not paying for anything on top of these though.

coli 05-27-16 12:29 PM

Because I am a huge sports fan, I am married to cable forever. Because of that I have the Premium channels of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz.

As of now I still haven't given in to Netflix, Hulu, etc, because I know they have good shows but just a few really great ones that I can buy on BluRay. A show like Bloodline I'd rather just wait for BluRay, although they haven't released Season 1 yet???

hdnmickey 05-27-16 12:33 PM

All this reminds me of the question... when do we stop calling it TV when it's not actually coming from a TV network?

Why So Blu? 05-27-16 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by coli (Post 12812528)
Because I am a huge sports fan, I am married to cable forever. Because of that I have the Premium channels of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz.

As of now I still haven't given in to Netflix, Hulu, etc, because I know they have good shows but just a few really great ones that I can buy on BluRay. A show like Bloodline I'd rather just wait for BluRay, although they haven't released Season 1 yet???

It's a Netflix show, so they have different home video distribution channels and agreements.

Why So Blu? 05-27-16 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12812534)
All this reminds me of the question... when do we stop calling it TV when it's not actually coming fro a TV network?

When we no longer watch it on a television set.

Bill Needle 05-27-16 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by coli (Post 12812528)

Same here, but satellite. I live by the DVR for what I watch, rarely if ever watching something live, so OTA is not an option any more for that reason as well. I don't pay for anything else since as mentioned above I run out of time before shows I could watch.

DJariya 05-27-16 12:43 PM

I know there's a lot of Star Trek nerds in this forum. I guess most here will not be watching the new series next year because it's a streaming service exclusive. or will probably binge the season months later in a free trial?

DJariya 05-27-16 12:55 PM

I used to have Full Moon Streaming, but after barely using it for 1 month, I decided to not renew. I actually like a lot of the content they have on it as I grew up watching the content on VHS in the late 80's/early 90s, but I barely have time keeping up with the content I already watch on Directv and Netflix etc.

I'm a horror fan and would be interested in Shutter, but again, I can't see myself paying for it where it would be worth the monthly fee as I have a lot on my plate already.

davidh777 05-27-16 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12812535)
It's a Netflix show, so they have different home video distribution channels and agreements.

Someone commented the other day on FB that they wished GOT would release a season at once like Netflix. I said no way HBO would give up three months of revenue for one month (heck, people would subscribe for one day if they could).

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12812549)
I know there's a lot of Star Trek nerds in this forum. I guess most here will not be watching the new series next year because it's a streaming service exclusive. or will probably binge the season months later in a free trial?

I'll finally get around to watching Enterprise before I pay for CBS, unless the reviews are amazing.