Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chasing TV content -- Where do you and your bank account draw the line?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chasing TV content -- Where do you and your bank account draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Chasing TV content -- Where do you and your bank account draw the line?

I gave up satellite/cable a while ago and now use Apple TV. I pay for CBS All Access, HBO Now, Starz, Netflix, MLB TV and Funimation. And I use a friends login to watch the network stuff.
Old 05-27-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I haven't had cable television since I moved out of my parent's house 19 years ago. For the first several years, I had OTA channels. I then added Netflix disc around 2005, streaming as well when it started. Sometime around 2010 I got rid of the antenna, and went strictly Netflix. Finally in 2013 or so I went to only Netflix streaming.

To answer the question, I draw the line at whatever a monthly subscription to Netflix streaming is.
Old 05-27-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
When we no longer watch it on a television set.
Does it transform to a movie screen when you play movie Blu-Rays/DVDs on it?

I have a few friends that just call them monitors at this point for that very reason. Throughout their entire time of owning the monitor there will never be any actual TV programming directly viewed on it. They think I'm crazy for paying for cable and I think they are crazy to pay for streaming services.
Old 05-27-16, 05:25 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777
Someone commented the other day on FB that they wished GOT would release a season at once like Netflix. I said no way HBO would give up three months of revenue for one month (heck, people would subscribe for one day if they could).

I'll finally get around to watching Enterprise before I pay for CBS, unless the reviews are amazing.
I haven't paid for HBO yet and I've seen all episodes of GoT live.. Every year about this time they offer a 3 months free HBO deal on AT&T Uverse. I sign up for that.. Watch GoT, and now Silicon Valley, and then cancel HBO when the seasons are over before they bill me. I think one year I was lazy and let it go into the 4th month, so it cost me like $12.. but I cancelled at the end of that month.
Old 05-27-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

All this reminds me of the question... when do we stop calling it TV when it's not actually coming from a TV network?
I only call it TV when it's been shown on an OVER-THE-AIR (NOT cable or satellite) station. If it's been shown in a theater, it's a movie. If it was shown on cable, it's cable. If it was made for a home video format (VHS, DVD, whatever) then it's direct-to-video.
Old 05-27-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I said it a year or 2 ago....even with cord cutting/shaving, they're going to nail you and just wait when data caps become the norm.

I'd pay for Star Trek if CBS wasn't already shaking me down between the fees they earn from my DTV bill and Verizon FIOS bill (have lifeline basic cable with my internet). I still don't know why affiliates OTA should be able to demand carriage fees and also get protection against DNS from providers. F them.
Old 05-27-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
All this reminds me of the question... when do we stop calling it TV when it's not actually coming from a TV network?
Delivery method doesn't really matter. If Netflix releases a set of hour-long episodes and a year later releases another set, they're following the TV model.

Granted there are variations, like TV movies, Sherlock having three 90-minute episodes per season, etc.
Old 05-27-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
For me, the time I have available to watch all these goddamn shows hits a brick wall long before my bank account does.
I haven't even started with the streaming services and/or new shows and I'm behind on everything I'm trying to watch.

We pay for cable. Other than that, I am still watching TV on DVD (or BR). I rent most movies but have picked up some TV on DVD so I can take them on business trips.

I still have the finale of S2 The Americans and then start S3
Haven't started S3 Blacklist
Have the whole second half of S1 of Blindspot on the DVR

I have everything I need except time to watch.
Old 05-27-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I only call it TV when it's been shown on an OVER-THE-AIR (NOT cable or satellite) station.
Exactly, Maybe it's just me, but I found to odd to ask about TV content that is not actually TV content.

As I posted earlier, I know people that will never watch anything on their "TV" that was directly received using cable/satellite/antenna. If they were given the option of buying a equally good monitor, for less money, because it was not capable of receiving that direct cable/satellite/antenna content, they would have went for it in a heart beat.
Old 05-28-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

We have:

Cable -- HD package but no premium channels; have a local cable company that I actually like! Even with that, I wouldn't have cable if it weren't for the wife and kids.

Netflix -- one of my daughters is always watching something on there, so it is justified. I am disappointed in their shift away from current movies, but I like some of their original programming; e.g., Orange Is the New Black, Darevdevil (although I am slow on getting it watched), and eventually Jessica Jones.

Amazon -- probably would not keep this if it was an additional monthly fee. Since I can pay it one time and be done though, I keep on keeping it. Use the free shipping a few times a year so that is a bonus.

WWE Network -- my son watches this. I really need to make him start paying for it. It's still cheaper than paying for those PPVs though!

That's it ... Not adding anything else. As somebody else said, my time is being tapped out quicker than my bank account.
Old 05-28-16, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I haven't had cable television since I moved out of my parent's house 19 years ago.
They thought 30 years was enough already. And I assure you, turning 50 isn't so bad.
Old 05-28-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 424 Likes on 293 Posts

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime (mainly for the shipping, everything else is a bonus)... Plus HBONow for the 3 months GoT is on.

I've tried Sling twice and it's terrible with the Amazon FireTV. And to get both sets of sports channels (ESPN/Fox) it's $40/mo. For that much I can add the rest of the HD channels to my cable starter subscription and not have to worry about Sling crapping out.

Will wait and see on CBS All-Access til the reviews are in for the new Star Trek series.
Old 05-28-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

We have Cable with the "expanded" package (~100 channels of mostly worthless dreck for almost $100/month) that I'd drop in a heartbeat if it were not for my wife who would rather find something on a commercial channel than simply drop in a disc. Even for her favorite programs (I just don't get that mentality).

I watch 95% of my content via disc with the other 5% being a combo of cable and streaming. Cable if I'm just looking for background noise and I *always* select from Discovery, A&E, History, Travel, or Food Network for that. Streaming mostly to sample shows I might enjoy and purchase. I piggyback on a HBO-Go account for GOT but then purchase it once it comes out on disc.

Amazon Prime for occasional streaming. I have it mainly for the "free" shipping but since they have a somewhat limited selection of movies/TV I'll use that to sample stuff I may want to purchase on disc. I've also availed myself of the "$1 digital" bonus for using "slow boat" shipping. So far I've "purchased" 48 digital movies with those credits, mostly Warner Archive titles, since I see little difference in a digital copy over a MOD, or titles which have never had a physical media release or are OOP and very expensive. Lately all the "add on subscriptions" they're hawking, rather than adding new "free" content, has become a bit of a sore spot and I've complained repeatedly. If they offered "free" shipping without the streaming video/audio at a lower cost I'd likely jump on it.

I sampled Netflix at my son's house a couple of years ago and found it severly lacking in the content I prefer.

I love Star Trek but there's *no way* I'm shelling out for a subscription service to watch the new series. I'll wait for free TV/streaming to sample a few episodes and if I like it just purchase it once it comes to disc.

In general, I've monitored streaming services and availability of product enough to know to never rely on it for content. Just like broadcast and cable services, a program will be there one day and gone the next. I've seen enough of this churn over my lifetime to know that's *not* what I want any longer so I just purchase on disc what I enjoy or want to see. That way *I* decide what I'm interested in watching and can put on a program you'll never see on a streaming service or one that's not been seen on one for some time.
Old 05-28-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I will chase the content I really want to see to any service that has it. The beauty of streaming is that you're not in a long term contract & most allow cancellation online.

So I weave in & out of various services. Drop them when I find I'm no longer watching & then sign back up if something good comes along. Supplement that with PPV for the handful of basic cable series I watch. And still come out ahead of what I was paying for satellite.
Old 05-29-16, 09:03 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I have Dish and anticipate keeping it for the foreseeable future. I like the customer service and features they provide. I typically get the premium channels at a discount or free as part of being a long-term customer in good standing. I'm getting all the premiums now for 25/mo I think. This seems reasonable to me since 75% of the content I watch airs on these networks.

I also subscribe to Amazon, Netflix and Hulu. We don't really have time to keep up with shows on these platforms. I think I'll always be in a backlog. However, they do have good kids content.
Old 05-29-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot about kids content. My daughter watches the Disney Junior and PBS Kids all the time. But those steams are free. The streams allow choosing the episode you watch rather than going with the one on the air.
Old 05-29-16, 12:26 PM

I activated Amazon Prime specifically to watch Man In The High Castle. Got all the episodes watched during the "free" 1st month grace period. Than I cancelled before the first payment came out. Did the same with Netflix last year for Daredevil season 1. Gonna do the same thing here in a couple of more weeks with Daredevil season 2 and Jessica Jones!
Old 05-29-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have DirecTV and will probably keep for live sports and there are cable shows that I like to watch in real time and not wait for Blu-Ray. I have Amazon Prime which I use for shipping and I like a couple of their original shows and sometimes I'll find indie or older movies on there that aren't on Netflix. I have Netflix and Hulu to catch up on past seasons of shows and I like a few of Netflix's shows and I also watch a lot of documentaries on Netflix. I also subscribe to HBO Now and Starz standalone.
Old 05-29-16, 08:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cable, netflix, amazon.

I use amazon prime for the shipping, the photo storage and other prime goodies.
My kids love netflix, i cant cancel that.

My youngest daughter warches apple tv and the disney app a lot.

I think the future is all streaming, the kids will pick and choose what services to join, but cable is in real trouble in a few years from now... Thats why i think everyone is getting in on the streaming, kids barely watch tv shows, they wait for the stream...

Dont care enough about the cbs, nbc, hulu streaming network stuff, i just dvr what i really want to watdh on nerwork, and the new deciated cbs app shows i will catch way down the line at some point if they wre any good.
Old 05-29-16, 08:42 PM

Just moved into a new place and opted for:

HBO Now (GoT, Silicon Valley, docs, etc.) - $14.99
Netflix (rarely watch, but looking forward to Power Man and Iron Fist) - $7.99
Hulu+ (Bachelor, Shark Tank, The Goldbergs, Modern Family) - $9.99
Amazon Prime (mostly for shipping and an occasional show I'm unable to stream otherwise like The Walking Dead and The Americans) - $10-ish (?)

Sucks that I don't get sports now, but can't justify another $40-$50 just to watch an occasional big game (like tomorrow night's game GSW-OKC game 7), The Americans, and The Walking Dead.
Old 05-29-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I pay nothing for a full cable package, including Showtime and the cable box, because it is included via a bulk cable deal in my condo. The condo association pays $30/unit/month to TWC for the package (which gets passed on through association fees), which is still a good deal, because at retail, that bundle would cost $60-90, depending on promotions.

I have Amazon Prime because it saves more than its cost for my kids' diapers. Prime Video and Prime Music are bonuses for me.

Any other premium content (mostly HBO and Netflix), I head off to the high seas to obtain.

I've watched all 5 previous Star Trek series, but I can't fathom paying for CBS All Access just for that. It'll likely be the high seas for that too.
Old 05-30-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have Amazon... mostly for the shipping. Other than that it is pretty much OTA. When OTA pickings get slim in the summer I might pay for a month of Netflix or the Sho/HBO/Starz streaming for Prime or Roku and binge watch what I want to see.