DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634703-flash-s2e23-season-finale-race-his-life-5-24-16-a.html)

DJariya 05-24-16 02:19 PM

The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

http://media.comicbook.com/2016/05/f...4br-183115.jpg

TUESDAY, MAY 24

SEASON FINALE

THE FLASH

"The Race of His Life" - (8:00-9:01:30 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

THE FLASH VS. ZOOM - After Zoom (guest star Teddy Sears) reveals his true plan, Barry (Grant Gustin) vows to do whatever it takes to stop him. Antonio Negret directed the episode written by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing (#223). Original airdate 5/24/2016.
Will return for a 3rd season this Fall.

Red Hood 05-24-16 08:10 PM

Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Very good episode and season finale. I think I was pretty close about the identity of the man in the iron mask
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12641723-post5.html

So, are we going to see Flashpoint next season?

Hokeyboy 05-24-16 08:54 PM

I called the Man in the Mask right around midseason. Yee! :up:

Great episode. That race sequence was sensational. And of course now we got ourselves a Flashpoint sitch going on. GAH! i need some ice...

starseed1981 05-24-16 09:07 PM

I actually thought that was awful. I really liked the season as a whole and I don't expect much from CW shows but that was beyond absurd. The might've been my least favorite episode of the show so far. Hopefully the big bad next year isn't a speedster.

stingermck 05-24-16 09:11 PM

Holy shit they went there. Flashpoint!

And I'm sure I speak for everyone. I want more JWS as Jay. Moar!

PhantomStranger 05-24-16 09:32 PM

Yep, they went there. I thought they would save it for down the road.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...DC_Comics).png

A couple of quick thoughts about this finale. They've rehabilitated Wally's character after a sketchy introduction. I was surprised we didn't get a Cisco's vision foreshadowing Kid Flash.

That kiss between Barry and Iris was fine but practically shot in darkness. You could barely make anything out even in HD.

I thought Zoom was a great villain the first half of this season, but it was clear to me they ran out of things for him to do once it was revealed he was Jay in disguise. Go back to season one and Reverse Flash had awesome villain lines in most of his appearances. Zoom's dialogue got stupider and stupider as the season wore on.

candyrocket786 05-24-16 09:40 PM

Interesting they're going the Flashpoint route, considering that most of the bigger characters will likely be off-limits.

I'm guessing they'll make the following changes:
Spoiler:

Robert Queen/Thomas Wayne
Supergirl/Superman

starseed1981 05-24-16 10:48 PM

What is Flashpoint??

Koby 05-24-16 11:20 PM

I'm honestly surprised they didn't show/hint that Jessie or Wally were speedsters before the end of the season. At least Barry semi-explained how the time remnant thing works. That ending Barry pulled off though should have some major changes next season.

Xiroteus 05-24-16 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 12810392)
What is Flashpoint??

Well.....spoilers.... :D

Toonview 05-24-16 11:50 PM

Let's not overlook that the wraiths turned Zoom into the Black Flash, even down to altering the colors of his emblem and ear pieces from black to red like in the comics.

PhantomStranger 05-25-16 12:37 AM

I like how Barry is pretty good at picking up the tricks used by other speedsters.

There is speculation that Flashpoint might indicate potentially huge changes for Arrow...

Spoiler:
Some are suggesting Arrow may get semi-rebooted back to season two.

Xiroteus 05-25-16 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Toonview (Post 12810442)
Let's not overlook that the wraiths turned Zoom into the Black Flash, even down to altering the colors of his emblem and ear pieces from black to red like in the comics.

Yep, noticed that as well. Not sure if he really needs to make a return or not, at least not anytime soon unless it was quick. Of course it could have been just a thing to do.

randian 05-25-16 12:57 AM

I wonder what their shooting schedule was. Feels somewhat like a cast dump to pay for Supergirl.

Toonview 05-25-16 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by randian (Post 12810458)
I wonder what their shooting schedule was. Feels somewhat like a cast dump to pay for Supergirl.

I don't think so. Using Flashpoint as a template, they could easily work Cavannah back in as "a" Harrison Wells. Heck, they could even bring him back as the Reverse Flash now. Beane was only around in some episodes, so there's no real loss there as they can bring her back from Earth 2 just as often.

stingermck 05-25-16 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12810452)
I like how Barry is pretty good at picking up the tricks used by other speedsters.

There is speculation that Flashpoint might indicate potentially huge changes for Arrow...

Spoiler:

I think it has to affect Arrow. Hopefully we will see tonight.

hanshotfirst1138 05-25-16 07:47 AM

No matter how hard I think about this "timeline fragment/remnant" rubbish, I still cannot get it to make any sense.

Hokeyboy 05-25-16 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12810516)
No matter how hard I think about this "timeline fragment/remnant" rubbish, I still cannot get it to make any sense.

He basically created an alternate timeline. During the race, Barry went back in time to right before he left to race Zoom, met up with his past self, and they hashed out their plan together. One races while the other creates the reverse pulse technobabble that destroys the pulsar magnatron thingamadoodle.

It's a nifty trick, but I hope they never rely on it again, solely because it's an easy out for any problem. Anyway, Barry explained that it angers the Time Wraiths and while they came for him, they found themselves more interested in apprehending Zoom.

hdnmickey 05-25-16 08:30 AM

Yes, they have finally succeeded in making Wally likable. Bravo.

Good finale. Will be interesting to see just how much they change and if they are able to handle it without it all becoming ridiculous. Which most movies/TV shows do when they using time travel "make it up as we go along" cheats.

cleaver 05-25-16 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 12810332)
Interesting they're going the Flashpoint route, considering that most of the bigger characters will likely be off-limits.

I'm guessing they'll make the following changes:
Spoiler:

Robert Queen/Thomas Wayne
Supergirl/Superman

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12810452)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
If they use Oliver's dad as the Arrow, that actor isn't going to be able to pull it off, though they did replace the actress that played Sarah in the flashbacks that guy had a speaking role. If they use Merlyn or especially Slade Wilson as the alternate Arrow, now you've fixed Arrow which is rudderless right now. Bring back Waller, have her involved in hiding Supergirl and that's how somehow Wilson gets off the island and Oliver becomes a bad guy. Shit, you can even have the world nuked in the Arrow finale tonight if you're going to hit reset next year.

DWilson 05-25-16 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 12810502)
I think it has to affect Arrow. Hopefully we will see tonight.

We'll see ...but I doubt it. I'm thinking if there is a Flashpoint-type change, it'll occur in the mid-season crossover. After all, the shows have to be able to stand alone

Hokeyboy 05-25-16 09:41 AM

It shouldn't affect Arrow in the slightest. Barry is in essence creating an alternate timeline, while the original still moves on. Or something. Either way, if Arrow changes dramatically because of The Flash, that's a piss-poor decision on the part of the CW.

Derrich 05-25-16 11:36 AM

DC time travel doesnt work with alternate timelines. Instead they have different earths. Barry changed the past on Earth 1 so everything on Earth 1 changes. Arrow would be effected but Supergirl (who's on either Earth 3 or 4) wouldnt be.

D

candyrocket786 05-25-16 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12810604)
It shouldn't affect Arrow in the slightest. Barry is in essence creating an alternate timeline, while the original still moves on. Or something. Either way, if Arrow changes dramatically because of The Flash, that's a piss-poor decision on the part of the CW.

I really hope it does change Arrow, so they can trim the fat and make it a great show again.

I'm all for a semi-reboot courtesy of Flashpoint.

jwb0323 05-25-16 11:51 AM

I really enjoyed the finale, I guess I kind of understand what a time remnant was. Thanks for that explanation...

I was surprised at him going back in time to save his mother. So, what happened to RF now?

So, presumably we'll come back to season 3 and both of his parents will be alive, correct?

At some point, they've got to stop using time travel so much, right? right??