Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Old 05-26-16, 08:59 AM
  #51  
Video Game Talk Reviewer
 
Canis Firebrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "Vryce"/Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 13,856
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
and a damn good one. If the show can achieve something on that level or better, season 3 will be a killer ride.
I watched the Flashpoint movie on Netflix after watching the season finale of Flash. Pretty good but very different seeing heroes do stuff they normal dont do. For those that have read the comics and seen the animated version. Does the animated version pretty much cover what happened in the comic Flashpoint event? I haven't read any comics and shows like Flash are getting me more interested. If DC had an unlimited inline reading like Marvel does, id be all over that.
Old 05-26-16, 09:45 AM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,566
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Kennyx View Post
I get the time remnant part (or at least I think I do). And your right, one version of Barry negated that pulsar energy weapon thingy, but the other Barry didnít just keep Zoom busy, he outright beat the crap out of him. How is that possible?
I think Zoom was distracted by wanting to stop time remnant Barry from stopping the weapon, and that was just enough distraction for Barry Prime to whoop up on him. Plus, Barry was still pretty pissed about his dad being killed, so he had that going for him.
Old 05-26-16, 01:00 PM
  #53  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Well it's nowhere near the abomination that Arrow has become, but that was a weak episode. First off, why did Jay bother to create a time remnant at the beginning of the show anyway? He's been in far stickier situations than that but never needed a time remnant. And then he bothered to explain it? All of that setup just so Barry could steal the trick later. It felt lazy.

Then, on top of it, the wraiths only show up after Barry creates a time remnant, not Jay, and just when Barry had to make the decision of whether or not to kill him. Deus ex Machina, anyone?

Finally, going back to save his mom made zero sense, since he had already come to terms with her death twice (last season and inside the speed force). If anything he should have traveled back to stop Zoom from killing his dad, but that doesn't create Flashpoint. Even in the comics I always thought it was a little weird that Barry was willing to alter the timeline so significantly by saving his mom, but here it came absolutely out of the blue and didn't work.

I suspect that Flashpoint will take up the entirety of the next season, and Barry won't have his powers for 90% of it. While a lot of it will be cool, it will ultimately take us to the same point as we were at the end of season one, with Barry learning that he has to let his mom die yet again. So the whole season will basically be a placeholder, which sorta sucks.
Old 05-26-16, 01:53 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 62,042
Received 1,252 Likes on 830 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

I think it (Mom save) made sense...why? He made an EMOTIONAL decision. Emotional decisions are always crazy and nonsense like that.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-26-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 01:59 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 74,572
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,979 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I think it Mom save) made sense...why? He made an EMOTIONAL decision. Emotional decisions are always crazy and nonsense like that.
I think he made that decision also so that his parents will follow a different path and his Dad especially won't meet that fate with Zoom.

But obviously things aren't going to work out that way for the better. But, we'll have to wait and see. I would expect John Wesley Shipp to make a few appearances next season as Henry with the time alteration in effect.
Old 05-26-16, 02:03 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 26,437
Received 620 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
I watched the Flashpoint movie on Netflix after watching the season finale of Flash. Pretty good but very different seeing heroes do stuff they normal dont do. For those that have read the comics and seen the animated version. Does the animated version pretty much cover what happened in the comic Flashpoint event? I haven't read any comics and shows like Flash are getting me more interested. If DC had an unlimited inline reading like Marvel does, id be all over that.
The animated Flashpoint Paradox movie isn't quite the same tale told in the comics. The comics were an entire reboot of DC history, so there were differences.

For the people that don't follow the comics, DC has once again just reset its comics universe. The issue called DC Rebirth #1 just went on sale yesterday at 80 pages for $2.99. Older fans should check it out.
Old 05-26-16, 03:52 PM
  #57  
Video Game Talk Reviewer
 
Canis Firebrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "Vryce"/Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 13,856
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The animated Flashpoint Paradox movie isn't quite the same tale told in the comics. The comics were an entire reboot of DC history, so there were differences.

For the people that don't follow the comics, DC has once again just reset its comics universe. The issue called DC Rebirth #1 just went on sale yesterday at 80 pages for $2.99. Older fans should check it out.
Thanks.. I figured that the animated Flashpoint Paradox would be just more like a high level overview of the entire series of events. I missed picking up stuff with the new 52 from a few years ago because I had mild interest in the various comic books. I have never been a huge superhero fan growing up but with shows like the Flash and the quality Marvel movies, I'm growing more interested. Moreso in the DC universe than Marvel.

The other issue is that I don't want to pick up everything, just a few characters that I like.

I picked up the Rebirth #1 today to read and might start a pull list at my local comic store for a few titles once I decide which ones (likely Flash, Green Lantern, Batman).

It's another reason I keep hoping that DC will have an unlimited reading thing like Marvel. I'd like to go back and read all the New 52 stuff, Crisis, and a lot of the older Batman stuff.

Anyways. don't want to side track this too much. At least more than already done.
Old 05-26-16, 04:21 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 128,775
Received 478 Likes on 385 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The animated Flashpoint Paradox movie isn't quite the same tale told in the comics. The comics were an entire reboot of DC history, so there were differences.
Watched it last night. Thought it was pretty good.
Old 05-26-16, 04:57 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,161
Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

I'm mixed. The entire season emotionally felt very Arrow, especially after Patty left, and that's not a compliment.

The cast needs to get trimmed significantly.

Caitlin did practically nothing is year, except be in distress. However, that's significantly more than Iris who just shows up and stands around. She serves absolutely no purpose. I wish there was chemistry between Barry and her, because then I'd feel a sense of urgency and drama. As it is I just fast forward through their scenes.

The race was cool, as was JWS as Earth 3 Flash.

I'm still confused about the Garick connection. I get JWS is the real Jay, but what does Barry's mom's maiden name have to do with it? That means Jay was Barry's grandfather on Earth 3? I must be missing a step.
Old 05-26-16, 05:35 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 62,042
Received 1,252 Likes on 830 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

I'm still confused about the Garick connection. I get JWS is the real Jay, but what does Barry's mom's maiden name have to do with it? That means Jay was Barry's grandfather on Earth 3? I must be missing a step.
No. It just means that E3 Flash is a doppelganger of Barry's Dad on E1. They both have blood ties to the Garrick name on their respective worlds. It does point to a Legacy in that Barry then has blood ties to the name too...at least he does on E1. There has been no evidence that there was ever a Jay Garrick Flash on E1. Then again, I don't think they've ever shown the real E1 Jay Garrick.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-26-16 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 07:07 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,136
Received 774 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Great season just a hair behind season one, IMO. I liked 90% of it. I'm unsure of the direction they're going but I'm along for the ride.

It might have made zero sense but in the back of my mind I was kinda hoping they'd bring back Grodd in some fashion to help fight Zoom. I just want more Grodd.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
That kiss between Barry and Iris was fine but practically shot in darkness. You could barely make anything out even in HD.
Looked fine here. I mean not, daylight fine, but it wasn't that dark.

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
I don't think you can take anything for granted when it comes to this change. The Arrowverse, or at least Rip Hunter, has established that some events can't be changed, or that certain events will happen regardless of intervention.

Spoiler:
That was at least the excuse he used in the season finale to not send Sara back in time to save Laurel.
Why is it so hard to grasp the concept of spoiler tags? It's another show that we aren't discussing.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Finally, going back to save his mom made zero sense, since he had already come to terms with her death twice (last season and inside the speed force). If anything he should have traveled back to stop Zoom from killing his dad, but that doesn't create Flashpoint. Even in the comics I always thought it was a little weird that Barry was willing to alter the timeline so significantly by saving his mom, but here it came absolutely out of the blue and didn't work.
Why would he do that though? He knows that to defeat Zoom he has to use a time remnant and risk involving the time wraiths. By saving mom, he also saves dad and he knows he can get the drop on R.Flash or at least, double team him with himself.

I only had a couple minor issues with this episode, one was Danielle Panabaker's acting in the scene with Zolomon to distract him. She seemed way off there and not in a "I'm acting nervous and scared" way... just downright terrible. I remember a couple cringe worthy dialog moments, the worst was in the middle of the race they're gonna cut to Harry declaring that they were powering up the generator? Get Captain Obvious a cape, he's ready for his big moment.
Old 05-26-16, 07:38 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 8,161
Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

I thought the most cringeworthy part was when they're ready to trap Zoom and Joe had a: "Oh wait! Hold on a second while I get my gun out of the case. Oops, it's jammed!"
Old 05-26-16, 09:02 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,136
Received 774 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Yeah, that was an eye roll moment as well.
Old 05-26-16, 11:51 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 26,437
Received 620 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
I picked up the Rebirth #1 today to read and might start a pull list at my local comic store for a few titles once I decide which ones (likely Flash, Green Lantern, Batman).

It's another reason I keep hoping that DC will have an unlimited reading thing like Marvel. I'd like to go back and read all the New 52 stuff, Crisis, and a lot of the older Batman stuff.
Most people are loving Rebirth #1. It's written by Geoff Johns, the comic book writer that developed this Flash show and is now in charge of the DC Film Universe.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I only had a couple minor issues with this episode, one was Danielle Panabaker's acting in the scene with Zolomon to distract him. She seemed way off there and not in a "I'm acting nervous and scared" way... just downright terrible. I remember a couple cringe worthy dialog moments, the worst was in the middle of the race they're gonna cut to Harry declaring that they were powering up the generator? Get Captain Obvious a cape, he's ready for his big moment.
That was wretched acting by Panabaker but it's not the first time. She's a limited actress and my criticisms extend beyond her work on the Flash. She can handle less demanding roles but her range is fairly limited.
Old 05-27-16, 07:39 AM
  #65  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Morris Plains, NJ
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

One thing that's been teased a little bit is Jay making an appearance on "Legends of Tomorrow" with the JSA. Could be cool. Maybe bring in Alan Scott for a little GL action.

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
I missed picking up stuff with the new 52 from a few years ago because I had mild interest in the various comic books. I have never been a huge superhero fan growing up but with shows like the Flash and the quality Marvel movies, I'm growing more interested. Moreso in the DC universe than Marvel.

It's another reason I keep hoping that DC will have an unlimited reading thing like Marvel. I'd like to go back and read all the New 52 stuff, Crisis, and a lot of the older Batman stuff.
I wouldn't go too crazy catching up on the New 52 stuff. A lot of it was very "not good". They sucked the fun out of most of the characters. Everything got way too serious. Batgirl was a prime example. Without spoiling anything, before Issue 1, Barbara Gordon's life sees some major changes (well, at least one) for the better. Yet the overall tone of the title, until a creative team shake-up starting with issue 35, is very dark. This is DC Comics. Not the DC Movie Universe. Babs should be fun. Basically, what I'm getting at is Rebirth may be the perfect place to jump into the comics.
Old 05-27-16, 08:00 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,854
Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by cfmoran13 View Post
One thing that's been teased a little bit is Jay making an appearance on "Legends of Tomorrow" with the JSA. Could be cool. Maybe bring in Alan Scott for a little GL action.



I wouldn't go too crazy catching up on the New 52 stuff. A lot of it was very "not good". They sucked the fun out of most of the characters. Everything got way too serious. Batgirl was a prime example. Without spoiling anything, before Issue 1, Barbara Gordon's life sees some major changes (well, at least one) for the better. Yet the overall tone of the title, until a creative team shake-up starting with issue 35, is very dark. This is DC Comics. Not the DC Movie Universe. Babs should be fun. Basically, what I'm getting at is Rebirth may be the perfect place to jump into the comics.
They changed Barbara/Batgirl with the "Batgirl of Burnside" storyline (with Issue #35, as you noted), which is lighter in both storyline and art style, and pitched more at female readers.
Old 05-27-16, 08:11 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,854
Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I'm mixed. The entire season emotionally felt very Arrow, especially after Patty left, and that's not a compliment.

The cast needs to get trimmed significantly.

Caitlin did practically nothing is year, except be in distress. However, that's significantly more than Iris who just shows up and stands around. She serves absolutely no purpose. I wish there was chemistry between Barry and her, because then I'd feel a sense of urgency and drama. As it is I just fast forward through their scenes.
There was a point in the first season where Caitlin had more chemistry with Barry than he did with Iris.
Old 05-27-16, 08:34 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
There was a point in the first season where Caitlin had more chemistry with Barry than he did with Iris.
First season? It is still true. As is him having better chemistry with both Supergirl and Felicity. Best option would be jut to bring back the hot police detective if they are going to do a series reset. Those two had a very believable chemistry.
Old 05-27-16, 08:44 AM
  #69  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 10,147
Received 375 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The animated Flashpoint Paradox movie isn't quite the same tale told in the comics. The comics were an entire reboot of DC history, so there were differences.

For the people that don't follow the comics, DC has once again just reset its comics universe. The issue called DC Rebirth #1 just went on sale yesterday at 80 pages for $2.99. Older fans should check it out.
When New52 came out I stopped following DC altogether. Is it worth getting back in at this point?
Old 05-27-16, 09:32 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,854
Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
First season? It is still true. As is him having better chemistry with both Supergirl and Felicity. Best option would be jut to bring back the hot police detective if they are going to do a series reset. Those two had a very believable chemistry.
The actress had another gig and they felt they had to go in a different direction. But, yeah, "Patty" brought some spontaneity to the show and a nice energy, -until they had to set up her leaving, when she became the usual "angsty" CW Woman.
Old 05-27-16, 09:38 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,854
Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
When New52 came out I stopped following DC altogether. Is it worth getting back in at this point?
I'm hearing nothing but good stuff about the first issue of Rebirth (but mind you, its only the first issue) which is going to be part of a major reboot to the DC Universe (getting rid of a lot of New 52) and painting it in more optimistic colors. Of course, re-boots are a dime-a-dozen and this re-boot could be re-booted. These days, I get all my DC and Marvel comics in trade versions from my well-stocked County Library (it's a lot less painful when its free).
Old 05-27-16, 11:37 AM
  #72  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Morris Plains, NJ
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
They changed Barbara/Batgirl with the "Batgirl of Burnside" storyline (with Issue #35, as you noted), which is lighter in both storyline and art style, and pitched more at female readers.
Correct. And, it became more enjoyable, too. I wouldn't let my 9-year-old daughter read the first 34 issues. I didn't have the slightest problem with her reading from 35 to 52.
Old 05-27-16, 11:43 AM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
The actress had another gig and they felt they had to go in a different direction. But, yeah, "Patty" brought some spontaneity to the show and a nice energy, -until they had to set up her leaving, when she became the usual "angsty" CW Woman.
With any luck the other gig will not work out and Patty can come visit or stay for good.
Old 05-27-16, 11:44 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 74,572
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,979 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
With any luck the other gig will not work out and Patty can come visit or stay for good.
She's playing a supporting character on Shooter and it's only a 10 episode season. I think it's possible she could guest star in the future.
Old 05-27-16, 12:46 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 26,437
Received 620 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
When New52 came out I stopped following DC altogether. Is it worth getting back in at this point?
One never knows how these reboots will turn out but Rebirth is distinctly a repudiation of New 52's worst elements. The first issue is 80 pages for $2.99, so it's a great entry point for jumping back in. Of course I hear it's mostly sold out at the moment.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.