DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: The Flash (S2E23) -- Season Finale -- "The Race of His Life" -- 5/24/16

Or we could all just stop overthinking this and just have fun
Old 05-25-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea can someone spoil flashpoint for me as well? I've never read the comic series. I just now it culminated in the new 52 right?
Old 05-25-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Yea can someone spoil flashpoint for me as well? I've never read the comic series. I just now it culminated in the new 52 right?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flashpoint
Old 05-25-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Wow, so if I understood that finale, Barry just completely re-wrote history. That means the events of the last 2 seasons were essentially wiped out. I wonder if that changes the events of Arrow and especially Supergirl too.

So we can expect both of Barry's parents to be alive in season 3 now and his relationship with Iris is now in limbo when he moves back to present time.

Obviously there's going to be some repercussions to his actions.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-25-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It shouldn't affect Arrow in the slightest. Barry is in essence creating an alternate timeline, while the original still moves on. Or something. Either way, if Arrow changes dramatically because of The Flash, that's a piss-poor decision on the part of the CW.
Do you now watch Arrow, because sticking with the show in it's current direction is a pretty bad decision too.
Old 05-25-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Zoom pretty much has to come back as the black flash the way they ended him off. So that's cool. It was alright and I don't think anyone should be bragging about the telegraphed move to make his dad Jay Garrett. That was a given from the moment they introduced multiple earths.
Old 05-25-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, so if I understood that finale, Barry just completely re-wrote history. That means the events of the last 2 seasons were essentially wiped out. I wonder if that changes the events of Arrow and especially Supergirl too.

So we can expect both of Barry's parents to be alive in season 3 now and his relationship with Iris is now in limbo when he moves back to present time.

I don't think you can take anything for granted when it comes to this change. The Arrowverse, or at least Rip Hunter, has established that some events can't be changed, or that certain events will happen regardless of intervention. That was at least the excuse he used in the season finale to not send Sara back in time to save Laurel.

What I expect to see is a completely different Central City. Either S.T.A.R. Labs never goes boom, or it still does, but now there's a different Flash (Wally perhaps?)

As for the other shows, Arrow could use it as an excuse to reboot, while Supergirl is a different Earth. Legends being a Time Travel show already could use that as their excuse to avoid the changes. Hell, the crossover could end up being the Legends crew having to travel back in time to reset the timeline.
Old 05-25-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Here's a thought: Maybe Barry just set the universe back on track. Thawne killing his mother was the temporal bomb and stopping him puts thing back in the natural order. Barry will still be the Flash just later in life. We will see a third version of Harrison Wells and now Eddie lives.

Having said that I don't like resets especially when the audience has built a familiarity/affection for the characters. It worked out ok with Fringe where Olivia became more likable after the reset. I also didn't like them establishing that messing with time has consequences and then have Barry messing with time...again. Barry's suppose to be a scientist yet he seems overly impulsive on the show.
Old 05-25-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The Barry Allen from season 1 is now wiped out after he vanished (the one hiding when he saw and then decided not to stop his mother's murder)

Now there's going to be a 3rd version of Harrison Wells since Reverse Flash/Thawne doesn't go back in time and kill the original one.

The whole dynamic the show built over the last 2 seasons is going to be changed drastically. I know some are going to be happy about it, but the Barry/Iris romance is probably out the window for the time being. Kind of a messy end when I think about it. They took a huge gamble messing with the chemistry the show built.
Old 05-25-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Can't we just have a superhero show to have fun with, without all the mind fuck? I don't like where they left this at all, and absolutely hate Barry's decision to go back and change the past. To me, this just ruins everything. Everything happened the way it was supposed to happen to get to that point and make him the person he is, even with him going back before and deciding not to change it. Everybody he knows is going to be different somehow, and there are no guarantees that certain people are still even going to be alive or dead. It would be like if I went back in time and decided not to get married and follow another path in life. That path might not even lead to the place where I was able to go back and change it. Something has to happen within the first 4 or 5 episodes of season three that's going to tell Barry "wow, I fucked up royally! I'd better go back and let my mom die again."
Old 05-25-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
The animated movie is on Netflix streaming.
Old 05-25-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
How timely. I was literally just looking at the wiki page for it after seeing the posts about it (and the comic book arc) -- and was about to go to Netflix to see if it was offered.

Creates an interesting reset.
Old 05-25-16, 04:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So, Barry travels back in time to like one minute ago, right? So then is that the true Barry? Is the time remnant the one who now hadn't gone back in time yet? But then how can Barry be there if he doesn't go back in time!?
Old 05-25-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It shouldn't affect Arrow in the slightest. Barry is in essence creating an alternate timeline, while the original still moves on. Or something. Either way, if Arrow changes dramatically because of The Flash, that's a piss-poor decision on the part of the CW.
Most people don't think Arrow is working anymore as a show, it's the best time possible to reboot the show or revert it back to a different timeline.

People aren't thinking big enough here. Now that Supergirl is on the CW, it's possible Zoom's actions merged her world with the Arrowverse. In fact, it may have altered history and Superman is no longer around since you can't use him anyway.

People shouldn't hyperventilate about the possible changes to the Flash's timeline. Barry probably won't like all the changes wrought by his decision...

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 05-25-16, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Can't we just have a superhero show to have fun with, without all the mind fuck? I don't like where they left this at all, and absolutely hate Barry's decision to go back and change the past. To me, this just ruins everything. Everything happened the way it was supposed to happen to get to that point and make him the person he is, even with him going back before and deciding not to change it. Everybody he knows is going to be different somehow, and there are no guarantees that certain people are still even going to be alive or dead. It would be like if I went back in time and decided not to get married and follow another path in life. That path might not even lead to the place where I was able to go back and change it. Something has to happen within the first 4 or 5 episodes of season three that's going to tell Barry "wow, I fucked up royally! I'd better go back and let my mom die again."
I'd argue "welcome to comic books". This is MINOR compared to what the books do on a regular basis. I like when a show makes a bold choice and shakes things up. I'm curious to see how they handle these ramifications. If that takes us past "freak of the week" territory too, all the better.
Old 05-25-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'd argue "welcome to comic books". This is MINOR compared to what the books do on a regular basis. I like when a show makes a bold choice and shakes things up. I'm curious to see how they handle these ramifications. If that takes us past "freak of the week" territory too, all the better.
Honestly, I especially don't like it there either. In the books you have such a vested interest (sometimes over years) that gets shattered when a new writer takes over. Personally I think it's lazy to rehash/retcon then to bring in new elements. The writers will say it's to appease the fans but they've already pissed them off by wiping out the history.

Time travel is a big part of the Flash mythology but they are running the risk of destroying the stories, characters and fan goodwill they have built up in two seasons.
Old 05-25-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Even if they change things they will just likely show the version of the future, future Flash that goes back and basically tells the other Flash not to stop anything because saving his Mom makes things MUCH worse.
Old 05-25-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I don't see how they can reset arrow, but they should. All those flashbacks are leading to something, so if they go back to a previous season, the flashbacks will be out of order.
Old 05-25-16, 08:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It can't be truly like flashpoint because I can't see them having him go all season without his powrs
Old 05-25-16, 10:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So how did Barry get fast enough to even challenge Zoom?

Was it established that after Barry left the speed force a few episodes ago he got faster?
Old 05-26-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

For me the BEST part of the episode was seeing JWS wearing the JAY GARRICK uniform.
He looked AWESOME in it.

Hopefully next season there will be a couple of Jay Garrick solo episodes set on Earth-2 with Harrison and Jesse Wells.
And Jay could have flashbacks to his wife, Joan Darrick, to be played by Amanda pays.
Old 05-26-16, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyx
So how did Barry get fast enough to even challenge Zoom?

Was it established that after Barry left the speed force a few episodes ago he got faster?
He didn't get fast enough, and that was the point of him going back and getting his time remnant. He finally accepted that as much as he wanted to, he couldn't out-race him, so he kept Zoom busy while the other Barry negated the weapon. He knew that the only way to beat Zoom was to steal his idea and be in two places at once.
Old 05-26-16, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

So clearly a few things -

The Black Flash will probably be back sooner as an enforcer of the time ghost nonsense because Barry just Flashpointed the damn series.

It won't take long to hit the status quo again because god damn, we just had to deal with powerless barry for a few episodes not more than a few episodes ago.

Wally and Jessie Quick will probably be the elements that bring about the normalization of things since how the fuck do you tease us with that shit and not deliver on having a few more speedsters. It should have ended with both of them in some form of costume stopping Barry from saving his mom.

I'm not a big fan of flashpoint and all that it brought about, so the less of that nonsense the better.
Old 05-26-16, 07:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
He didn't get fast enough, and that was the point of him going back and getting his time remnant. He finally accepted that as much as he wanted to, he couldn't out-race him, so he kept Zoom busy while the other Barry negated the weapon. He knew that the only way to beat Zoom was to steal his idea and be in two places at once.
I get the time remnant part (or at least I think I do). And your right, one version of Barry negated that pulsar energy weapon thingy, but the other Barry didn’t just keep Zoom busy, he outright beat the crap out of him. How is that possible?
Old 05-26-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
and a damn good one.

If the show can achieve something on that level or better, season 3 will be a killer ride.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.