TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Alan Young Dies: ‘Mister Ed’ Star & Scrooge McDuck Voice Actor Was 96

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-16, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Alan Young Dies: ‘Mister Ed’ Star & Scrooge McDuck Voice Actor Was 96

http://deadline.com/2016/05/mister-e...es-1201760560/

Alan Young, the Canadian-English actor best known as Wilbur on CBS’ 1960s talking-horse sitcom Mister Ed who also provided the voice of Disney’s Scrooge McDuck for more than three decades, died Thursday. He was 96. He had been living at the Motion Picture and Television Fund campus in Woodland Hills.

Young made several films during during the next decade, most notably receiving second billing in George Pal’s iconic 1960 adaptation of H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine. Other films from this period include the title role in Androcles and the Lion, and the Jane Russell musical comedy Gentlemen Marry Brunettes.

In 1961 Young began the role for which he is most well known. Mister Ed premiered in October, starring Young as Wilbur Post, a mild-mannered architect who discovers that he owns a talking horse, voiced for all five seasons by Allan Lane. The show saw Young playing the straight man to Lane’s jocular, somewhat mischievous Mister Ed. Among the show’s running gags, Ed would only ever talk to Wilbur, making it look as though Wilbur might be crazy as he constantly appears to be talking to himself. Mister Ed premiered in syndication and then moved to CBS with its cast intact — one of the few syndie shows to be picked up by a network for a primetime run.

Following Mister Ed‘s cancellation in 1966, Young acted for a brief spell before taking a nearly decade-long break from the industry. During that time, he established a broadcast division for the Christian Science Church. Returning to acting in the late 1970s, Young would go on to appear in numerous guest roles on television, including The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote, St. Elsewhere, Party of Five, ER and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.

But from this point on, he worked primarily as a voice actor. Able to expertly affect a Scottish accent, Young was hired Scrooge McDuckin 1983 to voice Scrooge McDuck in Mickey’s Christmas Carol. He would reprise the role four years later in the classic cartoon series Duck Tales. Drawing heavily from the comic book series Uncle Scrooge that was created, written and drawn for much of its run by Carl Barks, Young voiced the thrifty Scottish duck who lives in the city of Duckberg and defends his vast fortune (and number one dime) from greedy enemies from 1987-90. Young delivered a definitive take on Scrooge McDuck and would remain the voice of the character until his death.

Other voice roles include Farmer Smurf on The Smurfs, 7-Zark-7 and Keyop in Battle of the Planets and Hiram Flaversham in The Great Mouse Detective, along with guest spots on The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, and more.

“I worked it out that you go to an audition feeling you’re going to give your concept of what this part is you’re not going to try to get anything,” Young said in a 2001 interview with the American Archive of Television. “If the producer likes it, whether you get the part or not, you’ve given. It takes away all the anxiety and the weight. That’s my best advice. Just give, and then trust.”
Old 05-21-16, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Alan Young Dies: ‘Mister Ed’ Star & Scrooge McDuck Voice Actor Was 96

They're coming out with a new Ducktales cartoon and it'll be weird without him as Scrooge McDuck.
Old 05-21-16, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

DT is one of my favorite shows of all time and Mickey's Christmas Carol is a yearly tradition. RIP Mr Young, you brought great pleasure to my life.
Old 05-21-16, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

His birth name was Angus Young.
Old 05-21-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

His wife on Mr Ed was insanely hot
Old 05-21-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Willlllburrrr! RIP.
Old 05-21-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Too bad but he lived quite a while. Ducktales is one of my favorite childhood cartoons and I'm looking forward to the new series. I wasn't expecting him to be in it but he was still good when he provided Scrooge's voice in the remastered video game.