DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634346-game-thrones-s6e04-book-stranger-5-15-16-a.html)

DJariya 05-15-16 05:17 AM

Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2d&oe=57A69207

Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) strikes a deal. Jorah (Iain Glen) and Daario (Michiel Huisman) undertake a difficult task. Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and Cersei (Lena Headey) try to improve their situation.

Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Dan Sackheim.

Episode 4 of 10

dhmac 05-15-16 03:09 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E04) -- "Book of the Stranger" -- 5/15/16

Any idea on what the episode title "Book of the Stranger" means?

Is the stranger...
Spoiler:

...a reference to one of the 7 gods (or whatever they are) in the Faith of the Seven?

Defiant1 05-15-16 03:23 PM

I don't know specifically what the "Book" refers too, but yes, The Stranger is one of the Seven gods. I think it's actually more like one god with seven facets, roughly analagous to the Holy Trinity in Christianity.

Raul3 05-15-16 06:57 PM

And we are getting closer to the middle of the season.

So, after this episode, how many stories do you think will be completed/closed this season?
They have a lot of open stories right now, besides the main one, IMO.

jfoobar 05-15-16 08:06 PM

Wow, Sansa/Jon right off the bat.

jfoobar 05-15-16 09:04 PM

I normally find the Dany storyline pretty boring, but that was pretty badass, probably her best moment since S3.

Also, Edd's facial expression after looking at Brienne and Tormund was the funniest moment I think I have ever seen on this show.

OldBoy 05-15-16 09:05 PM

That was awesome!

mewmartigan 05-15-16 09:13 PM

Ramsay's letter was touching. come and see.

I hope the guy that gave Rickon to Ramsey is double-crossing him. He made it a point last week to say the word of a Bolton was worthless and at the same time was very careful not to give his word by swearing to the Boltons. Maybe he (and Rickon) thought the only way to rally Jon Snow and the rest of the north was by letting Rickon get captured.

I hope when Ramsay finally falls, its Sansa that does it.

I guess Dany will eventually cross the sea with a bunch of dothraki/unsullied using the ships that one master said he had previously offered her? I have a feeling she won't get there until the white walkers are already invading...she won't even get a shot at the throne until she helps with that.

By the way...I have not read the books, this is all speculation/talking out my ass.

Dr. DVD 05-15-16 09:20 PM

Good ep. I knew Asha didn't stand a chance once she was alone with Ramsay. Shame to bring her back after such a long absence only to kill her. :(

One burning question (pun intended) : was that Emilia Clarke's real bare chest or was that her head on a body double? Howard Stern has been griping about not seeing her breasts, so this will either make him happy if true, or fuel his fire if it's fake. :)

Bandoman 05-15-16 09:22 PM

I think it was a body double.

Too bad Ramsay killed OSHA before letting her get naked.

jfoobar 05-15-16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 12802738)
Good ep. I knew Asha didn't stand a chance once she was alone with Ramsay.

It was her glance at his paring knife that made it obvious that she was not going to successfully use it. The writers rarely telegraph that much. It was a good death scene though.

One burning question (pun intended) : was that Emilia Clarke's real bare chest or was that her head on a body double?
Perhaps I have not been keeping up with GoT nudity, but was that not Clarke's real body in S1E1?

majorjoe23 05-15-16 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12802749)
It was her glance at his paring knife that made it obvious that she was not going to successfully use it. The writers rarely telegraph that much. It was a good death scene though.

Perhaps I have not been keeping up with GoT nudity, but was that not Clarke's real body in S1E1?

That was her early on, but a few years back she decided to stop doing nude scenes.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/daenery...season-4-video

windom 05-15-16 09:47 PM

Blind Item (13/05/2016)
MAY 13, 2016 / 8 COMMENTS
This B-list television actress is on a scandalously sexy TV show and after the first season, she was known for getting nude on television. She was unhappy with the reputation and refused to do nudity unless she felt it was absolutely necessary to the scene. After her ‘mainstream movie career’ flopped, however, she’s suddenly much more open to nudity… as you’ll be seeing on the next episode of the show this weekend in a very heated moment.

Who is she?
https://thegossiplife.com/2016/05/13...item-13052016/

Hopefully the experts at Mr. Skin will determine whether it was really her or not.

anomynous 05-15-16 09:48 PM

It was her

dhmac 05-15-16 09:56 PM

Great ending scene but once Dani started talking to the khals, I knew exactly what she was planning to do to get rid of all of them.

And so much for the speculation that Drogon was going to rescue her (again).

Eric F 05-15-16 10:23 PM

It looked like there was an accelerant on the floor of the hut. I wonder if Dany's new Dothraki friend helped her out?

bunkaroo 05-15-16 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 12802783)
It looked like there was an accelerant on the floor of the hut. I wonder if Dany's new Dothraki friend helped her out?

I was thinking there was an accelerant too, but the more she did it the more I thought there might have been oil in them that was spilling out as they were knocked over.

Hiro11 05-15-16 10:43 PM

Finally Dany gets to do something other than look worried
Finally one Stark meets another

Raul3 05-15-16 10:51 PM

The Dothraki were fun but yeah, too dumb. Not sure how they are painted in the books.

Everyone knows what will happen with Ramsay. I'm more interested right now in Cercei's revenge.

HN 05-15-16 11:05 PM

Fck, haven't been hit by a reunion like that since rose/Bernard, Jin/sun in Lost.

And that ending was amazing. Dany looking strong again

Bill Needle 05-15-16 11:10 PM

That has to be the fifth or sixth episode in the series that closed with a shot of a crowd of people adoring Daenerys.

Hiro11 05-15-16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12802813)
That has to be the fifth or sixth episode in the series that closed with a shot of a crowd of people adoring Daenerys.

And the second with her "emerging unharmed from fire" trick. Still, the scene worked for me.

DWilson 05-15-16 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous (Post 12802760)

I hadn't heard the other stories, but after the business with Lena Headey's nude scene last year, I couldn't help but wonder if it was her or not.

bluetoast 05-15-16 11:40 PM

I'm forgetting: what happened to the Dothraki that were part of Drogo's group from like four seasons ago?

Tom Banjo 05-16-16 12:03 AM

I think we'll see Ramsey's end soon. I predict Theon will lead an army to Winterfell that'll mix in with the 2000 Jon leads.

mwbmis 05-16-16 12:05 AM

I'm glad they had Sansa acknowledge that she always pretty much treated Jon like a non-entity (she was her mother's daughter in that regard). Still, it was a nice moment. It's good to get a win.

The Ramsay Bolton torture and kill hour is beyond tedious at this point. Though Osha's death I think should stop all speculation that the Small Jon has some sort of secret plan.

I guess they will make it Littlefinger's plan all along to turn Sansa over to a sociopath knowing all along that it was his opportunity to have to go save her (w/ House Arryn) and become Warden of the North.

Defiant1 05-16-16 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12802821)
I'm forgetting: what happened to the Dothraki that were part of Drogo's group from like four seasons ago?

The ones that survived the massacre in Qarth continued on with her. We see them at the beginning of S3 when they're puking on Dany's ship. We don't see much of them after that. At any rate, there aren't many of them.

Loved tonight's ep. Jon & Sansa reuniting was epic, as was Dany taking out all the khals. She now has a huge army. Maybe she'll finally get to Westerors by the end of this season now.

I was surprised that Cersei's trial is only a few days away, which means we'll get to see the outcome shortly. Woohoo!

slop101 05-16-16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 12802795)
I was thinking there was an accelerant too, but the more she did it the more I thought there might have been oil in them that was spilling out as they were knocked over.

Even with an accelerant or oil (which would have reeked), there's no way a fire falling out of those candles could spread like that. So I'm wondering if Danny can sort of control fire?

windom 05-16-16 12:25 AM

I don't know why the Sam/Gilly and Dorne storylines are getting so little time this season. That's the stuff I'm really interested in seeing more of.

Where's Bronn? I'm guessing we're not getting any of him this season or maybe ever.

How do the slave masters know that Varys is a eunuch? Did Tyrion introduce him as such? Can't he just be a fat bald guy with everything intact?

Why So Blu? 05-16-16 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12802838)
Even with an accelerant or oil (which would have reeked), there's no way a fire falling out of those candles could spread like that. So I'm wondering if Danny can sort of control fire?

She's like that character Pyro. Can't create it just manipulate it.

Why So Blu? 05-16-16 12:38 AM

I think Jonathan Pryce will get nominated for an Emmy. This is like his 2nd or 3rd time that he has spoken to a major character, alone, and kicked some knowledge. Each time after the people he speaks with look at him and listen to his words and understand his motives in all of it. Last week he spoke to the King and tonight's episode he spoke to Queen Margaret and how he used to make fine shoes and sell them for lots of money while becoming a degenerate.

Good stuff in that bit of dialogue.

Jonno2006 05-16-16 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by anomynous (Post 12802760)

She might say it was all her, but to me it really looked fake. Maybe it was because of all the special effects around her with the fire and all but her head did not match the body.

I doesn't matter at all in the slightest but i just thought it looked fake.

Amazing episode regardless! :)

DWilson 05-16-16 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 (Post 12802850)
She might say it was all her, but to me it really looked fake. Maybe it was because of all the special effects around her with the fire and all but her head did not match the body.

I doesn't matter at all in the slightest but i just thought it looked fake.

Amazing episode regardless! :)

With the fire and all, a "digital double" of some sort had to have been used, and, yeah, those shots looked "fake". I imagine that the closer head and shoulders (and a bit lower) shots that they cut to in the scene were probably her.

Maz Kanata 05-16-16 01:13 AM

Solid episode by D&D. None of their dialogue this episode had me cringing so good on them. Impressive handling and progression of multiple plot threads, all of which seem to be coming to a head and fast. Nice bit of acting between Finn and Dormer. I like Pryce's Sparrow far more than the character as written in the book. Would've liked to have seen Sansa's reaction to Wun Wun. The speed in which the temple went up was very cheesy but oh well. Curious to see what Tyrion's endgame may be. Brienne coldly declaring that she killed Stannis was boss. Looks like we're getting the Kingsmoot next week. That was the part in the book where I started to like Asha (Yara on the show). We should get our first real introduction to Euron then.

chowderhead 05-16-16 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12802839)
I don't know why the Sam/Gilly and Dorne storylines are getting so little time this season. That's the stuff I'm really interested in seeing more of.

Where's Bronn? I'm guessing we're not getting any of him this season or maybe ever.

How do the slave masters know that Varys is a eunuch? Did Tyrion introduce him as such? Can't he just be a fat bald guy with everything intact?

the Dorne storyline has been a mess so I am glad they are leaving it behind. Sam is going to Oldtown to be a Maester (how many years will that take?) to help Jon and take over for the old Maester at the Night Watch. But Jon is leaving the Watch so Sam's story is extraneous at the moment.

I like the season very much so far.

outcastja 05-16-16 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by HN (Post 12802812)
Fck, haven't been hit by a reunion like that since rose/Bernard, Jin/sun in Lost.

And that ending was amazing. Dany looking strong again

Yeah the Jon and Sansa reunion really hit me. These two been through so much shit it was really nice seeing Stark kids reunite after 64 episodes.

Jackskeleton 05-16-16 03:30 AM

Well, looks like several armies will be meeting at the wall. The perfect timing to have a big battle with each other before it's interrupted by the I don't give no fucks White Walkers.

coli 05-16-16 07:00 AM

A few thoughts on the episode:

-Howard Stern will be happy as he has been giving the actress who plays Khalessi shit the last few years because she said she was done with nude scenes.

-I'm rooting for Cersei now to get revenge. Wow this show plays with your emotions cause she is an evil person, but I have no sympathy for the High Sparrow.

-Ramsey Bolton could be more evil then King Joffrey. King Joffrey was just evil cause he sort of enjoyed playing that role, where Bolton is just pure evil.

-Does Jon Snow and Sansa meet Arya as 'No One' sometime down the road?

-Not loving the Tyrion scenes this year, as usually he is my favorite character.

bluetoast 05-16-16 07:09 AM

It was the first thing Howard brought up as soon as the show started an hour ago.

B.A. 05-16-16 07:47 AM

Enough w/ the wicked Ramsey of the North story. It was played out so long ago.

Cool to see Sansa finally reunited w/ a family member. Didn't realize they had never interacted w/ each other on the show before until they mentioned it after the credits.

Nice to see Dany do something for a change.