Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/16

Old 06-19-16, 08:53 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 43,266
Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Finished the season. Thankfully the big spoiler was telegraphed in two prior episodes before it happened. But I'm still pissed. I can't believe, from now on, I have to watch 13 straight hours of this show just so shit won't get spoiled. Maybe it's time for netflix to experiment with a weekly episode for original content instead of all episodes at once. Hell, some of these idiots are probably just watching the season finale first.
I hope they don't switch to weekly, Hulu does that shit and it just makes no sense with SVOD.

Of course, I don't use instagram. People used to do that during my IRC days. They'd pop into a room and say how crazy was it when ... happened at the end of whatever new movie was due out that day. Was annoying.
Old 06-19-16, 08:33 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Anyone else find it absolutely idiotic that (spoilers up through ep 5)

Spoiler:
Alex's Assassin (who was an official CO) hasn't been reported missing? I'm talking about by the prison staff. Not even going to mention the Kubra side of things, since Alex magically never has a use for the cell phone again.
Yes.
Spoiler:
I can only assume this comes back later. I thought maybe he was not actually employed, but just "snuck in" with all the confusion of new guards, the walkout, etc. However he makes a comment about them hiring anybody.
Old 06-19-16, 08:46 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
She's really not the POV character anymore though. We're done being introduced to this environment in S1/S2.
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yep. The show started as one thing (an adaptation of the book) and is now it's own self-sustained prison dramedy.
Very true, thankfully!
Old 06-20-16, 12:30 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
onebyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

I feel like this season was probably the show's strongest, although by far the saddest. I wish I had spaced the episodes out more, but alas, this show is like a drug I am powerless not to sit and watch the lot of them.
Old 06-20-16, 11:35 AM
  #30  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Just finished Ep 10. I knew it was only a matter of time the
Spoiler:
dead guard in the garden would come back and bite them


Really enjoying this season a lot
Old 06-20-16, 03:42 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 36,822
Received 610 Likes on 441 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

I hate being able to finish a season so quickly but it's hard to stop. Now I have to wait. Maybe I'll go back and watch previous seasons.

Good season even with the added inmates.

Observation about Judy
Spoiler:
She demonstrates some serious porn tongue during the threesome

Last scene
Spoiler:
Not surprised that an inmate got hold of the gun, just surprised it was Daya. She would not want added time when she's trying to get her kids

Healey
Spoiler:
Was he really thinking about suicide by drowning himself?
Old 06-20-16, 03:51 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Finished the season. Thankfully the big spoiler was telegraphed in two prior episodes before it happened. But I'm still pissed. I can't believe, from now on, I have to watch 13 straight hours of this show just so shit won't get spoiled. Maybe it's time for netflix to experiment with a weekly episode for original content instead of all episodes at once. Hell, some of these idiots are probably just watching the season finale first.
Yeah, with plot centric shows that all drop at the same time, it does feel like you're in a race against social media to get it down before you get spoiled if that matters to you. It's unfortunate. I can almost forgive inconsiderate people tweeting about a thing, but what really gets my goat are the think pieces on the Vanity Fairs and Entertainment Weeklys of the world that spoil stuff.
Old 06-20-16, 04:11 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,124
Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

On the other hand, The Hollywood Reporter put together a viewing guide on how many eps to see at once, see eps 1-3, take a break then 4-8, etc. Which I ignored.
Old 06-20-16, 04:16 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

I'm through episode 4. Sounds like I need to be careful with what I read the rest of the way.
Old 06-20-16, 07:44 PM
  #35  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

I try not to binge it knowing it will be a long time before the next season is released but as soon as I start I can't stop. Lol
Old 06-20-16, 08:43 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
actionjackson29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Posts: 1,210
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

I'm really hoping we get new guards next year.
Old 06-21-16, 07:42 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,267
Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

For those of us who finished already, think of it this way:

With 4 seasons out now, you can re-watch one episode per week and be be ready just in time for season 5.
Old 06-21-16, 09:34 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,975
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Anyone else find it absolutely idiotic that (spoilers up through ep 5)

Spoiler:
Alex's Assassin (who was an official CO) hasn't been reported missing? I'm talking about by the prison staff. Not even going to mention the Kubra side of things, since Alex magically never has a use for the cell phone again.
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Yes.
Spoiler:
I can only assume this comes back later. I thought maybe he was not actually employed, but just "snuck in" with all the confusion of new guards, the walkout, etc. However he makes a comment about them hiring anybody.
It bugged me for a second, but...

Spoiler:
he went missing at the same time a lot of the other guards quit. The prison probably figured he walked off the job with the others, and he likely wasn't hired with his real name, so they're not going to notice any missing persons reports.
Old 06-21-16, 09:56 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,124
Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

But back to the

Spoiler:

Kubra side of things, which was also never addressed. I'd assume he'd be suspicious when his key guy isn't around to go do other jobs for him. Alex never has use for the phone again, even though Kubra would, at best, only be momentarily fooled by those texts. I'm guessing this will come back into play next year.
Old 06-22-16, 07:17 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,975
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
But back to the

Spoiler:

Kubra side of things, which was also never addressed. I'd assume he'd be suspicious when his key guy isn't around to go do other jobs for him. Alex never has use for the phone again, even though Kubra would, at best, only be momentarily fooled by those texts. I'm guessing this will come back into play next year.
Spoiler:
I guess it depends on in the assassin was someone Kubra had regular contact with. If he was an independent contractor, Kubra probably saw the texts and confirmation, wired the money and their contact would be over.


This part isn't really a spoiler, so I'll leave it uncovered. It a flashback early in the season, Caputo comes out of a theater talking about an artsy movie with puppets. There's a poster for Welcome to the Dollhouse on the wall, so I assume it's 1996, but that they saw a different movie.

Anyone have an idea what movie he was talking about?
Old 06-23-16, 12:30 AM
  #41  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

With just one episode left this has been one of my favorite seasons. I'm going to some rounds then finish off this season
Old 06-23-16, 12:45 AM
  #42  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,207
Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
This part isn't really a spoiler, so I'll leave it uncovered. It a flashback early in the season, Caputo comes out of a theater talking about an artsy movie with puppets. There's a poster for Welcome to the Dollhouse on the wall, so I assume it's 1996, but that they saw a different movie.

Anyone have an idea what movie he was talking about?
Was it Caputo or Healy? I don't remember...

My first thought was Meet the Feebles, but that was 1989.
Maybe it's Toy Story? It came out in Nov 1995, but it could have still been in theatres when Welcome to the Dollhouse was out in early 1996.

It would be a weird joke if he was talking about Toy Story, but not completely unbelievable.
Old 06-23-16, 02:44 AM
  #43  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I hate being able to finish a season so quickly but it's hard to stop. Now I have to wait. Maybe I'll go back and watch previous seasons.

Good season even with the added inmates.

Observation about Judy
Spoiler:
She demonstrates some serious porn tongue during the threesome

Last scene
Spoiler:
Not surprised that an inmate got hold of the gun, just surprised it was Daya. She would not want added time when she's trying to get her kids

Healey
Spoiler:
Was he really thinking about suicide by drowning himself?

Spoiler:
Yes he was. The only reason he didn't is because he thought the phone call was from his ex wife or whoever she is



Spoiler:
Did him seeing Lolly going crazy and flash backs of his mom cause him to go insane as well?





There is no way
Spoiler:
she kills that a guard and gets extra time

Last edited by Sgtsnake; 06-23-16 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-23-16, 06:42 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,124
Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Spoiler:
I guess it depends on in the assassin was someone Kubra had regular contact with. If he was an independent contractor, Kubra probably saw the texts and confirmation, wired the money and their contact would be over.


This part isn't really a spoiler, so I'll leave it uncovered. It a flashback early in the season, Caputo comes out of a theater talking about an artsy movie with puppets. There's a poster for Welcome to the Dollhouse on the wall, so I assume it's 1996, but that they saw a different movie.

Anyone have an idea what movie he was talking about?
Spoiler:
The assassin was a regular associate of Kubra. Alex even said that she used to hang out with him socially.
Old 06-23-16, 07:25 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,975
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Was it Caputo or Healy? I don't remember...

My first thought was Meet the Feebles, but that was 1989.
Maybe it's Toy Story? It came out in Nov 1995, but it could have still been in theatres when Welcome to the Dollhouse was out in early 1996.

It would be a weird joke if he was talking about Toy Story, but not completely unbelievable.
It was Healy. Stupid names!

I got the impression it was an artsy film. He said something about half of being part of an art movement is just showing up. Toy Story seems way too mainstream to fit that description.n
Old 06-23-16, 05:27 PM
  #46  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 38,715
Likes: 0
Received 2,605 Likes on 1,786 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Damn... Episode 11... wow.
Old 06-23-16, 08:44 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,003
Received 330 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Finished this season. I enjoyed it - more than I even thought I would.

I really like how they're moving around between a lot of different characters - it really keeps things fresh and makes things more interesting.

Glad we got to see some more Maritza this season - by far the hottest inmate. Diane Guerrero looks amazing when dolled up in real life.

Spoiler:
Wasn't thinking that Pousey would die, but as soon as it happened - I remembered a lot of details about her the last few episodes and it was pretty obvious in retrospect.

Hard to imagine no one would even attempt CPR on Pousey. Weird.

Daya was barely used at all this season.

I'm glad Sophia didn't get a lot of screen time. Her character doesn't interest me at all.

There was no way the guards body wasn't going to be found. As soon as we found that they would be doing construction in the yard, it was guaranteed.

So I guess we lost a few characters now... Pousey, Bailey, a few other guards from last season (unless they come back next season) and Aleida.
Old 06-24-16, 12:30 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 33,633
Received 619 Likes on 439 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Damn... Episode 11... wow.
Watched 9-10-11 last night, and damn, ep 11 was tough to watch at times. I still prefer Wentworth but this season is really strong.
Old 06-25-16, 06:17 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,136
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Great season. I wish this ran twice a year.
Old 06-26-16, 07:54 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Orange is the New Black (Netflix) - Season 4 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/17/1

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Damn... Episode 11... wow.
Just finished this episode... seriously shedding a tear.

Spoiler:
Lori Petty has been absolutely fantastic this season. Watching her at the end screaming for Healy was intense.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.