Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Food Network Star season 12 - premieres May 22, 2016 (+ Comeback Kitchen May 8)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Food Network Star season 12 - premieres May 22, 2016 (+ Comeback Kitchen May 8)

Old 08-05-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: Food Network Star season 12 - premieres May 22, 2016 (+ Comeback Kitchen May 8)

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Damiano ... What can I say other than he he also should not have made it so far. DWilson said he didn't have any problems with Damiano's accent. I usually do pretty well with foreign accents but I struggled with Damiano often. How can a network seriously consider offering somebody a show when the same network feels compelled to run subtitles for his segments?
I found Dam's accent fairly thick most of the time, but I thought he worked harder to speak clearly in the pilot. That being said, I wouldn't give him a show on his own, -I'd give him a co-host to "translate" for him, in a manner of speaking.

It's tough to work with FNS's current definition of pilots, since they're straight hosting gigs and not really what they've been prepping for; it's been said many times that hosting is what you "do" now on FN, -just ask Eddie Jackson.

By the way, there's a "Kids" version pf the show coming up in a few weeks.

Last edited by DWilson; 08-06-16 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Food Network Star season 12 - premieres May 22, 2016 (+ Comeback Kitchen May 8)

I when he spoke slowly I understood him pretty well. When he got nervous or excited, forget it.

As I mentioned before, I get the qualification of being a good cook, but I think the show really overemphasizes that over being able to have an interesting and valuable on-screen presence.

Yeah, what's up with the kids' version? (Other than it is a cheap way to fill airtime.) They aren't going to give a contract to a kid ...are they?
Old 08-06-16, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured the ghetto trash would win. Another show to NOT watch
Old 08-07-16, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a bit harsh.

How many winners have actually gone on to get a show? How many non-winners?
Old 08-08-16, 10:40 AM
Banned

That's a bit harsh.

How many winners have actually gone on to get a show? How many non-winners?

I just wasn't a huge fan of her and your right most second and third place finishers have longer careers and better shows than the actual winners
Old 08-11-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 391 Posts

I finally watched the last two episodes following vacation. Unfortunately, stupid Comcast on demand sorted the episodes by titles and didn't include any numbers so I had to do internet research to figure out which ones to watch, and my research spoiled the winner. Fortunately it was pretty obvious the last month or so, though the penultimate challenge put that into question a bit. I liked Yaku better than any of the other finalists so I was hoping he'd pull it out. But I think he got stuck with Harvid as a sous chef when they were picked by random drawing, after Harvid had gotten eliminated first every possible time.

So whatever--another show I won't watch. And the shows are all just Guy Fieri-type hosting gigs anyway, so their cooking skills and point of view don't really matter.
Old 08-18-16, 06:57 AM

The Food Network announced it's dropping "Restaurant: Impossible", which is supposedly their most popular show right now. It's unclear whether this is a decision of the network or the show's production company. Host Robert Irvine (who turns up all over the place on the network) is going to be doing a daily talk show of some sort for the CW.
Old 08-18-16, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
I just wasn't a huge fan of her and your right most second and third place finishers have longer careers and better shows than the actual winners
Jernard was more interesting and entertaining and someone I'd more likely watch.

Damiano, they already have a lot of "Italian" cooks, do we really need 1 more. I see this as Giada having an agenda as we know the Italian will make it to the finals.

And no I'll not watch Tregaye. Whimsical soul food with a twist of fusion. I'm not even sure what that is. But then FNS seldom chooses someone I'd watch.

They need to give Cooking with Jack (Scalfani) a show. I watch his YouTube channel all the time.
Old 08-18-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
The Food Network announced it's dropping "Restaurant: Impossible", which is supposedly their most popular show right now. It's unclear whether this is a decision of the network or the show's production company. Host Robert Irvine (who turns up all over the place on the network) is going to be doing a daily talk show of some sort for the CW.
That's too bad, as I really like the show. The theme of people seeing their hopes and dreams slipping away is probably low-hanging fruit for hitting emotional chords, but it works for me.
Old 08-18-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. It's a good show and it drives home how so many people think the business can be a hobby or an easy income and get in over their head. While Robert as a "character" sometimes came out, he did not dominate the show to the point that it became a schtick (as often happens with reality shows). I believe he really cared about helping these people. That said, you can only beat the same horse so many times before it gets stale. It's something my wife and I enjoy watching, but not something we make it a point to watch anymore.

It's much better than the stupid staged undercover show. As somebody who is trying to find the time and a foot-in-the-door to do business consulting with a customer service focus, I find that show to be downright insulting.
Old 08-18-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. It's a good show and it drives home how so many people think the business can be a hobby or an easy income and get in over their head. While Robert as a "character" sometimes came out, he did not dominate the show to the point that it became a schtick (as often happens with reality shows). I believe he really cared about helping these people. That said, you can only beat the same horse so many times before it gets stale. It's something my wife and I enjoy watching, but not something we make it a point to watch anymore.

It's much better than the stupid staged undercover show. As somebody who is trying to find the time and a foot-in-the-door to do business consulting with a customer service focus, I find that show to be downright insulting.
All good points. And yeah, I don't watch it regularly, and don't even remember the last time I watched an episode. It's more like surfing the on-demand menu saying, "What we can we watch for 45 minutes? Oh, yeah, Restaurant Impossible--which of these episodes haven't we watched?"
Old 08-18-16, 11:02 AM

Oddly enough, "Restaurant: Impossible" was my "gateway" show to The Food Network. I caught a few when I would have Sunday dinner at my mothers' and it was an easy watch. This last season employed an "Ambush" gimmick, -a concerned party would invite Robert to do his thing and they'd spring it on the owners. It just came off a little "forced", since the basics of the show remained the same.

What caught my eye about the early shows is that they'd give you a follow-up paragraph at the end and sometimes the fix failed, usually due to the owners not sticking to the plan. It seems as time went by they just stuck to a two-sentence upbeat follow-up (in spite of any premonitions of disaster), though you might find out a little bit more on the website (but who bothers).
Old 08-18-16, 11:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have tuned into the Cajun show... i'll skip the fleekfest
Old 08-18-16, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
I would have tuned into the Cajun show... i'll skip the fleekfest
Tregaye will be co-hosting the second season of something called "The Kitchen Sink", of which I didn't know there was a first season of, or how many other hosts there are. The winner of the upcoming "Kid" version will probably just get something on the website (which they've done before with kids).
Old 08-18-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Enough with the kid shows already
Old 08-18-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
Figured the ghetto trash would win. Another show to NOT watch