Little Public Fanfare for Star Trek's 50th Anniversary

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Little Public Fanfare for Star Trek's 50th Anniversary

Old 05-10-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Little Public Fanfare for Star Trek's 50th Anniversary

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think the 30th Anniversary was a big deal because at the time the franchise was on fire. I mean there were three different Trek shows that aired throughout the nineties and the films were also going strong. I definitely remember that anniversary being a pretty big deal.
It certainly was: I remember this very well (from 1994):

It does sort of seem like at some point Paramount just brushed off the franchise and felt like it wasn't worth their time other than re-releasing the various shows and films on home video. The Abrams films felt like they wanted to see if they could make the franchise viable by going more mainstream and it worked once but seemingly the casual audience stopped caring again and the fanboys were left disappointed.
The problem is Star Trek in its essence really doesn't translate well with today's mainstream audiences. Championing diplomacy and creative problem solving? Morality plays? Pondering ethical dilemmas? Space exploration? (NASA is on its knees) Suffice it to say we're not going to see a LEGO Kirk and Picard movie doing anything like that--or a LEGO Star Trek movie or game at all.

Will Star Trek ever rise again?

Last edited by PatD; 05-10-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

At least a new movie is out this year.

GI Joe 50th came and went with nothing. Terrible repaint toys only at TRU, no new movie, most of the comic line canceled, and the whole line barely on life support. Because its not Transformers.
Old 05-10-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd prefer the TV series start this summer instead of the movie.