Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Americans (S4E08) - "The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of..." - 5/4/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S4E08) - "The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of..." - 5/4/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 07:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Episode 8 / Production #408 - "The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of Liberty Disappears" (Airs May 4, 10:00 pm e/p) - The Jennings's approach their breaking points as both Philip and Elizabeth must handle loyal agents. Will they make it through with their patriotism - and sanity - intact? Written by Stephen Schiff; directed by Matthew Rhys.
Couldn't fit the whole title in the thread name.
Old 05-05-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans (S4E08) - "The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of..." - 5/

I like that the marital tension from season 1 has returned. Elizabeth should've been more cold-blooded all along, especially with Paige.
Old 05-05-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: The Americans (S4E08) - "The Magic of David Copperfield V: The Statue of..." - 5/

Is the sketch artist terrible, or did Stan just never take a close look at the face?
Old 05-05-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

A lot of meaty character interactions going on in this episode, -there seemed to be an effort to put two actors in a room and put them up against each other, -and the development near the end of the episode was an intriguing surprise. A lot of nice, small moments.

The inclusion of the "David Copperfield" special (with clips) was clever (and next week incorporates the TV-movie "The Day After").
Old 05-05-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like that Elizabeth finally took the kid gloves off with Paige.
Old 05-05-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I remember watching that David Copperfield special as I was in 4th grade. I can't remember our reactions whether we were in awe or thought it was ridiculous.

This was a great Episode about escaping the pressures in life and the seminar Elizabeth was at made sense. We strive to get out of the pressures in our lives and then when we do, we finally realize how much they drive us.

Poor Paige, she is just a prisoner at this point.
Old 05-05-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought if I were Paige I'd be thinking ...hmm can't you just go ahead and kill em hell with it. Beats going to bible study and church....
Old 05-05-16, 09:24 PM

I love the time jump. There's been so much going on seemingly non-stop (how much time has the show actually covered since the beginning, 3-4 months?) I think it's a great time for a reset.

Great scene with Elizabeth setting Paige straight and reminding her she's the reason the whole Pastor Tim problem exists in the first place.

Surprised the Martha story was resolved so fast, I don't see why that couldn't have been the end of the last episode.
Old 05-05-16, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was a fantastic hour of TV. This show has elevated itself to greatness this year, if it wasn't already there. To me, this is the best season yet, even better than season 1.

And if there is any justice this show will win multiple emmys- Keri Russell was incredible this episode.
Old 05-06-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I was greatly surprised that Martha seemingly made it out alive. I am not a big fan of time jumps within a season. I'm not sure I am going to completely buy what I think they plan to do with Paige. She'll get to a point where she almost begs her parents to kill Pastor Tim.

People were mostly blown away at Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear. I remember a lot of chatter about it. It was a simpler time. Today it would be widely mocked on social media.
Old 05-06-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

People were mostly blown away at Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear. I remember a lot of chatter about it. It was a simpler time. Today it would be widely mocked on social media.
Most card tricks are harder to figure out than that stunt. Yikes. Every time I'm in the MGM Grand and I see the list of awards David Copperfield has won, the "15 Emmy Awards" or whatever the number was stops me cold. How was that ever possible? And how has this show only won one?

Alan Sepinwall thinks this was the best episode of The Americans ever:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...t-episode-ever
Old 05-06-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Keri Russell absolutely crushed this episode. The look on her face when Philip says he wants to play hockey, the way she slowly turns on Philip over the course of their EST discussion, the rage she unleashes on Paige... I could go on. I guess Russell has her Emmy reel for this year.

I've been saying for a couple of weeks that the walls were closing in on the Jennings so fast, that the end had to be near. Other than dragging the story out at a glacial pace, I couldn't imagine how the show could go on another season and a half. Two and half more, which Fields and Weisberg have mentioned as a possibility, seemed completely insane. But I guess after this week we have our answer. The time jump. In the moment I was a bit taken aback that they would do something like that in the middle of the season. But then The Americans has never really been slave to the typical structure of a television season. The story sort of plays out at its own pace regardless of season breaks and finales and what have you. This episode was the perfect example of that . Not only did we have the mid-season time jump, but we had the Martha plot (arguably the shows biggest subplot) wrapped up in the cold open. This aspect of the show can be a bit frustrating at times (when last season's finale didn't even mention Martha despite Philip un-wigging for her in the previous episode, I almost lost my mind), but by defying our expectations of how tv should be structured, we're never quite sure what could happen next. It can be pretty thrilling.

One tiny nitpick: During the cold open, the peanut butter jar that Martha was mourning was so obviously a modern, plastic peanut butter jar, that I can't believe it made it to air. There's obviously going to be a certain level of anachronism with any period show like this. It's just too difficult for there not to be. But come on. Someone had to have noticed. When something like that is the focal point of a scene, just spend the extra time/money to get it right. I was also fairly dubious of the seemingly plastic popcorn container Young-hee had at the movie theater, but I can't say with absolute certainty that it was out of place. For the record, the only other instance of this sort of thing I can recall jumping out at me like this was when they used a modern, contoured mustard bottle back in season 1. I think the set department needs to get a better food guy.
Old 05-06-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm going to miss Agent Gaad (Stan's boss). I would think at some point Paige would snap. Teenagers can be like that. The opening was awesome, the way they didn't ruin it with words. And Martha's "Don't be alone" was stark: She's leaving everything she ever knew never to return, and her parting words are concern for "Clark." Super all around.
Old 05-06-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-06-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe it's been 15 years since the last David Copperfield TV special.
Old 05-06-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched the last two episodes back to back and agree that the personal interactions have been really intense, like when Phillip tells her that he's never coming to Russia. It's no wonder that Keri Russell is going through difficult times after all that went down.

I may be wrong, but it feels like Martha's story is not over.
Old 05-06-16, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777

I may be wrong, but it feels like Martha's story is not over.
Seeing as they just brought back Lisa (who I had all but forgotten about), it seems likely that we'll see Martha again. And I bet she won't be happy.

I do think it's cool that they still haven't clued us in on what Elizabeth is doing with Young Hee. Long time to keep us in suspense and assume it'll have a rewarding payoff
Old 05-06-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I do think it's cool that they still haven't clued us in on what Elizabeth is doing with Young Hee. Long time to keep us in suspense and assume it'll have a rewarding payoff
I have to rewatch the Episode but I could have sworn that Elizabeth mentions something about her to Phillip? It was just one quick exchange?
Old 05-06-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe not for Young Hee.
Old 05-06-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I love that too.
Old 05-08-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I marathoned almost the entire season today. The season has been great so far. Glad to see that everyone agrees, I've always been a big fan of the show.

And my man crush on Matthew Rhys just keeps getting bigger.

I'm scared of Elizabeth again too.
Old 05-09-16, 09:44 AM

Great article on the last two episodes and why they're among the show's best ever.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/ameri...ever-been.html
Old 05-09-16, 10:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just watched the episode again and Elizabeth's speech to Paige is one of the better scenes from the 4 seasons. Not only does Keri Russell have the veins popping out in her head, the actress who plays Paige holds her own too. She could have been a typical whiny teenager in almost every show, but she pulls it off where you feel for her being trapped, yet she feels guilty for putting everyone in this position.
Old 05-09-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We did a binge of this season starting this past Friday evening. We're caught up and as pleased as usual. I do miss Nina, but this show is just so good. The whole situation with Martha was heartbreaking. Although Philip isn't in love with her, he obviously cares more about her than he perhaps even let on to himself. And that aside, he's a killer one second and a person who wants to be a decent human being the next. Elizabeth continues to be the practical one of the duo, though she does care for (love?) Philip in her own way. Their continued struggle to balance their personal relationship with their professional one continues to be fascinating.

"She's an agent!"
"She's a human being!"

I agree the intense conversation between Elizabeth and Paige was good stuff. It was also cringe-inducing. Paige isn't just a kid anymore, and all parents aren't the Bradys all the time, but that was pretty far away from nurturing.

Last edited by MikahC; 05-10-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 06:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting article about a real life family just like The Jennings in 'The Americans.' :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...tim-alex-foley

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.