DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Banshee (S4E05) -- "A Little Late to Grow a Pair" -- 4/29/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634135-banshee-s4e05-little-late-grow-pair-4-29-16-a.html)

DJariya 04-29-16 08:59 PM

Banshee (S4E05) -- "A Little Late to Grow a Pair" -- 4/29/16

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...32990473_o.jpg

Dawson (Eliza Dushku) and Lucas (Antony Starr) scope out an S&M club in search of murder clues; Watts (Chance Kelly) tests Calvin's (Chris Coy) limits.

Written by Liz Sagal; directed by Loni Peristere.

Episode 5 of 8

CaptainMarvel 04-29-16 10:45 PM

Re: Banshee (S4E05) -- "A Little Late to Grow a Pair" -- 4/29/16

Jesus, how big is Banshee supposed to be to have a fetish club that size, as well as that many Neo-Nazis?

DJariya 04-30-16 01:59 AM

I've never said this about Banshee, but damn that was a super boring episode. Easily the worst of the 5 that have aired.

Even that kill at the end lacked any kind of drama or shock value.

Banshee is supposed to be fun, over the top violent and sexy. Feels like we're lacking a lot of that for a mediocre murder mystery.

There's 3 episodes left and I have no idea what kind of direction they're heading in.

malichai 04-30-16 05:09 AM

I second everything DJariya said. I tune into Banshee for ridiculous violence and gratuitous sex scenes. What the heck are they trying to accomplish here in their final season? Whatever it is, they're failing at making entertaining television.

mcnabb 04-30-16 06:19 AM

The show is trying to be True Detective and failing miserably. I honestly don't even care how the series finale ends as this is almost a standalone season that feels so foreign to the previous 3.

DJariya 04-30-16 11:09 AM

I'm just baffled with the decline of this show. Feels like the writers really mailed it in.

Job was one of my favorite characters on this show. He's a shell of his former self.

By the way for those curious, Antony Starr signed on to the CBS summer series American Gothic that's airing in a few months. Obviously a bigger pay day than what he was getting on Banshee.

mrhan 04-30-16 01:22 PM

Yup. Boring episode. Nothing happened. The trailer for next week's episode was more interesting.

Josh-da-man 04-30-16 06:25 PM

Feels like there are some kind of behind-the-scenes shenanigans going on.

After season three aired, Banshee got its budget reduced and episode count cut down to eight. I also think they had to relocate the production.

And then it was announced season four would be the last season. The producers said that it was ended because they didn't have enough story to fill two more seasons, but I have a really difficult time believing that this is their ideal way of ending the series.

Nobody really seems to have anything to do. Rebecca is dead. Proctor is just sort pouting around and being mayor. Carrie is out playing Punisher because the writers didn't have anything else for her to do. Sugar hasn't left the bar. Job is PTSed and dull as dirt. And Hood is just half-assed looking for a serial killer. The only stuff here that feels anything at all like deasons 1-3 is the Nazi stuff. Practically no action, just everyone wandering around looking bored and confused, mirroring the audience.

Rebecca's murder was so random and forced that it had zero impact. I'm surprised how little I give a shit about it.

God, this season is a bigger clusterfuck than the final season of Dexter.

Deftones 04-30-16 08:15 PM

Yeah, this is not up to par because of all the stuff going on behind the scenes. It is still good but a shell if what it used to be.

DJariya 04-30-16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12790387)
Feels like there are some kind of behind-the-scenes shenanigans going on.

After season three aired, Banshee got its budget reduced and episode count cut down to eight. I also think they had to relocate the production.

Banshee moved production to Pittsburgh from Charlotte after North Carolina politicians cut their Film Tax credit program.

I'm betting Cinemax also cut the budget of the show when they moved.

You can kind of tell too. No big action set pieces & stunts and the scale of the show feels smaller. Antony Starr supposedly requested to have fewer fight scenes because of the injuries he was accumulating.

Ropes Pierre 04-30-16 10:00 PM

hood is going to end up a lumberjack.

some rando from Carries past walks into a diner where she is sitting, cue Don't stop believing.
Fade. to. black.

Job realizes they all have been dead the whole time.

thelwig14 05-01-16 12:01 AM

Hate to see all of this.

Could have been an all-timer if they sticked the landing. A shame and kind of disrespectful to your loyal followers.

Bandoman 05-01-16 01:02 PM

I may just stop watching and remember the show for seasons 1-3.

coli 05-02-16 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 12790736)

I got so bored the other night that I fast forwarded just to the Eliza Dusku scenes. So sad this show is going out like Boba Fett.

starseed1981 05-02-16 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 12790736)

That might be going a little too far. I agree that this season has been lackluster compared to the first three. And this episode was almost nothing but exposition. But it's three episodes from the end. You can make it :)

Rex Fenestrarum 05-02-16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12790476)
Banshee moved production to Pittsburgh from Charlotte after North Carolina politicians cut their Film Tax credit program.

Nitpick: They moved from North Carolina to Louisiana to Pittsburgh.

Lifepawn 05-02-16 02:27 PM

The producers said that it was ended because they didn't have enough story to fill two more seasons
I'm thinking they didn't have enough story to fill beyond 3 seasons.

Rex Fenestrarum 05-02-16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 12790001)
Jesus, how big is Banshee supposed to be to have a fetish club that size, as well as that many Neo-Nazis?

Logic doesn't have a place in this show. I think of it as a real-life cartoon, like a more adult Dukes of Hazzard. 'Cos even as a little kid I wondered what Hazzard County's tax rate must have been to have to buy 3 new police cars every week! ;) Kinda like Eliza Dushku's character: once she hit that crack pipe I was like "oh, OF COURSE she has to smoke crack, because NO ONE can ever be normal on this show". But once I repeated the "it's all a cartoon" mantra a few times I got over it.

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12790201)
By the way for those curious, Antony Starr signed on to the CBS summer series American Gothic that's airing in a few months.

Is that a remake of the kick-ass (and almost forgotten) CBS series of the mid 90s? 'Cos that was the first role I remember Gary Cole in, and he was creepy as hell in it.

slop101 05-03-16 12:33 AM

Yeah, I am not feeling this season so far. Don't care about the serial killers or the Nazis. And Dushku's been pretty bad.