DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S1E13) -- "Leviathan" -- 4/28/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/634126-dcs-legends-tomorrow-s1e13-leviathan-4-28-16-a.html)

DJariya 04-28-16 06:49 PM

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S1E13) -- "Leviathan" -- 4/28/16

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/sites/...play/dltl9.jpg

THURSDAY, APRIL 28

DC'S Legends of Tomorrow

"Leviathan" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

LONDON 2166 - Rip (Arthur Darvill) takes the team to London in the year 2166, three months before his family is killed. He believes this to be their final opportunity to take out Savage (Casper Crump) who is, unfortunately, at the height of his power. However, the team discovers two key elements to defeating him - Savage's daughter (guest star Jessica Sipos) and the means to kill Savage once and for all. Gregory Smith directed the episode written by Sarah Nicole Jones & Ray Utarnachitt (#113). Original airdate 4/28/2016.

Episode 13 of 16

Axeramm 04-28-16 08:24 PM

Re: DC's Legends of Tomorrow (S1E13) -- "Leviathan" -- 4/28/16

so now that they have him, cant they go into the time stream with him strapped to the hull and just release him letting him float there forever?

PhantomStranger 04-28-16 11:12 PM

A giant robot!? That was unexpected.

I did think Vandal's daughter turned way too easily against him.

Tom Banjo 04-29-16 12:49 AM

I actually mostly liked that episode!

dex14 04-29-16 05:36 AM

I like how once again DC had to get a giant version of ATOM on screen before Civil War. Similar to ATOM coming on Arrow before Ant-Man came out.

Flatlander 04-29-16 11:36 AM

I enjoy the show but wish they didn't add Firestorm to the team. Tired of each week of the time they take up to set up why Firestorm is not in the fight. Love the hero but if he is too expensive to use then they should have dropped him.

PhantomStranger 04-29-16 01:16 PM

Looking back now, I think it would have worked out better for LOT if Hawkman had hung around and Firestorm was the one that disappeared after a couple of episodes. I was thinking to myself this episode that Rip's team is one of the most ineffective assemblages of superheroes ever seen.

Expect a reduced budget in season two. After moderately strong opening ratings, LOT is now just another CW show fighting to stay on the air. The ratings were mostly on par with Arrow but have slipped a great deal in recent episodes. It is coming back but I expect it to be heavily retooled in season two.

Deftones 04-29-16 05:15 PM

Loved ATOM turning into a giant. :up:

DJariya 04-30-16 12:31 AM

Atom/Ray turning into a giant and fighting the other giant was pretty awesome.

Vandal's daughter turning on him did happen a little too fast though.

Brack 04-30-16 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12789600)
Looking back now, I think it would have worked out better for LOT if Hawkman had hung around and Firestorm was the one that disappeared after a couple of episodes. I was thinking to myself this episode that Rip's team is one of the most ineffective assemblages of superheroes ever seen.

Expect a reduced budget in season two. After moderately strong opening ratings, LOT is now just another CW show fighting to stay on the air. The ratings were mostly on par with Arrow but have slipped a great deal in recent episodes. It is coming back but I expect it to be heavily retooled in season two.

I think people forget that Thursday is a tough night for television. Had this show played after Arrow or Flash on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, the ratings might be a tad better. It is doing better than The 100, in its second season, especially in the 18-49 demo.

I think this episode should be looked at as how the show should work more often in terms of plot and character. It's been an up and down season, and I feel like the writers are just winging it. I think the show needed to revise the format of the show before the initial show's production. I didn't really think the time traveling "period piece" episodes were very good except that early episode with that bomb. There were other time periods where I think Savage would have shown up, like 80s Wall Street or something (just spitballing here, my point though is using cliché "50s" and "60s" and the Old West are recipes for boring plots that didn't help with character development as much as I would have liked.

That said, I like Ray and Kendra. Wasn't sure about them first, but they're ok, certainly no unwatchable, and I like how its unconventionally complicated. Does anyone else feel like Rip is almost useless as a character? Maybe I'm dumb, but he never seems to know more than anyone else on the team, so I probably made the mistake early on that he was the leader. He fairly absent during key scenes.

I think Firestorm not being in this episode had more to do with the cost of Atom's fight with the Giant Robot. Plus I liked Martin saving the refugees; I bought that move from his character. I like how he's the show's moral compass. It helps that Victor Garber is a great actor, arguably the best one on the show.

Brack 04-30-16 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12790053)
Atom/Ray turning into a giant and fighting the other giant was pretty awesome.

Vandal's daughter turning on him did happen a little too fast though.

Maybe she has a thing for Snart (and yes, I know Miller is gay, but his characters have never really reflected that on network TV).

Brack 04-30-16 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Axeramm (Post 12789114)
so now that they have him, cant they go into the time stream with him strapped to the hull and just release him letting him float there forever?

I'm thinking Savage has some sort of contingency plan, given how confident he seemed at the end of the episode (when is he never sure of himself?).

TGM 04-30-16 07:39 AM

the giant battle was actually pretty awesome.

hdnmickey 04-30-16 09:29 AM

Given how little they have the Hawks doing anything Hawk like (same SFX budget issues) having both of them back wouldn't really do anything for the show that isn't already coming from the two Firestorm characters. And the guy that plays Hawkman is far more annoying than either of the guys playing Firestorm. I would much rather have Teeth defeat Savage and lose both of the Hawks and Savage forever.

Only part of the this episode that was worthy was the battle of the giants.

Eric F 04-30-16 10:34 AM

So has The Atom ever grown in the comics? Atom yes, but not The Atom. I don't recall The Atom ever do anything but shrink.

Not a bad, I think they shot their FX budget wad with this episode. Firestorm could have taken out the robot all by himself.:lol: I always got the impression that if one of the two parts of Firestorm were injured, they could merge anyways and heal themselves?

Anyways, I agree the budget will be much less for the 2nd season. Be interesting to see how they fit new characters like Vixen in (if it comes to that), who's all FX based. Maybe they'll enlist Arsenal instead to save money.:lol:

PhantomStranger 04-30-16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 12790115)
I think this episode should be looked at as how the show should work more often in terms of plot and character. It's been an up and down season, and I feel like the writers are just winging it. I think the show needed to revise the format of the show before the initial show's production. I didn't really think the time traveling "period piece" episodes were very good except that early episode with that bomb. There were other time periods where I think Savage would have shown up, like 80s Wall Street or something (just spitballing here, my point though is using cliché "50s" and "60s" and the Old West are recipes for boring plots that didn't help with character development as much as I would have liked.

I thought they could have done more with the period settings as well. After the trip to the 70s and Russia, they began to run out of steam.

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 12790188)
So has The Atom ever grown in the comics? Atom yes, but not The Atom. I don't recall The Atom ever do anything but shrink.

I was thinking about this and think it may have happened in one of the old Super Friends cartoons. The closest link is to Apache Chief from those same cartoons. DC seems desperate to rush their versions of similiar heroes out before they show up in Marvel's movies.

Super X 04-30-16 04:59 PM

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm ready for the end of this season. While this isn't a bad show, I think this hunt for Vandal Savage has long since run its course. This episode's deus ex machina for not finishing off Savage practically had me ready to turn it off. It's running on fumes at this point. I do hope that season two will be better planned out.

PhantomStranger 05-01-16 01:14 PM

I was expecting Savage to have more operatives and pawns across the time stream. The season has basically been Savage himself beating Rip's terribly ineffective team. What the formula should have been was a series of moral choices the team would have to make each week. Do they go in and affect history, not fully knowing the ramifications in advance?

This is far more of a simple adventure show than a complicated science fiction time travel battle.

DWilson 05-01-16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12790739)
I was expecting Savage to have more operatives and pawns across the time stream. The season has basically been Savage himself beating Rip's terribly ineffective team. What the formula should have been was a series of moral choices the team would have to make each week. Do they go in and affect history, not fully knowing the ramifications in advance?

This is far more of a simple adventure show than a complicated science fiction time travel battle.

Unfortunately, I just don't think the show has the budget to be the show they wanted it to be, -the show they promised in the "created" trailer. Its not a bad show, but they need to be a bit more clever in how they work with limited resources. It would probably play better in smaller, crafted arcs in a season (and better served by different villains). I do think that all the Berlanti shows need to get away from these season-long storylines.