Fear the Walking Dead (S2E03) -- "Ouroboros" -- 4/24/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fear the Walking Dead (S2E03) -- "Ouroboros" -- 4/24/16

Old 04-26-16, 04:34 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Fear the Walking Dead (S2E03) -- "Ouroboros" -- 4/24/16

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I haven't watched a Talking Dead Episode, but what can they really analyze for an hour, or even 30 minutes?

TWD atleast has good character development so you can debate their motives and arc, but this show is so devoid of any character development.

Hardwick must be kissing ass all 60 minutes to keep it interesting.
Fear fucking blows, everyone involved is clearly only doing it to cash a check. This can't be the show that replaces The Walking Dead when it finally runs it's course?

Speaking of Hardwick, they should hire him as a writer, any idea he'd provide would be a million times better then what these hack writers/producers are giving us.

I watched this weeks Talking Dead afterwards. OMG, clearly Hardwick struggles to fake enthusiasm. Everyone seems why too hyped for this crap show. They even start to reference other zombie movies (that actually sound way more interesting). The last thing you want to tell a viewer is to go seek out better content... even if it's in a subtle comment.
Old 04-26-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
Eventually, if this show makes it past a third season (I think it's probably guaranteed at least one more)
Yup, already renewed for a third season

Per Talking Dead, I tried watching it after the season premiere and dozed off after like 10 minutes and I never bothered watching it again. And they already renewed that for the third season as well.
Old 04-26-16, 10:39 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
I watched this weeks Talking Dead afterwards. OMG, clearly Hardwick struggles to fake enthusiasm. Everyone seems why too hyped for this crap show.
So true. Trying to mine an hour worth of conversation out of this episode was tough. Aside from Strand and the Flight girl, these characters don't really have any intrigue anymore. We know who they are and they aren't likely to do anything completely unpredictable expect in the case of acting stupidly.

Another part of the problem is these characters are just learning things we've known as viewers for awhile now. So any moments of discovery feel like hand-me-downs from their older sibling. Again, they had a great opportunity with this series to reveal fresh details about the outbreak, but instead they rushed ahead so they could get into their typical Walking Dead formula.

Wasn't Talking Dead originally only a half hour in its first season? I think they need to go back to that if they're going to do it for this show.
Old 04-26-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Fear fucking blows, everyone involved is clearly only doing it to cash a check. This can't be the show that replaces The Walking Dead when it finally runs it's course?
The show is basically a cash-grab. Yes, all shows are in it to make money... but this shows whole reason for existing is to ride the coattails of TWD.
The title itself is proof. Fear the Walking Dead. The addition of "Fear" does nothing to describe the show - fear is already implied since it's a part-horror show. They just wanted a name that would capitalize off "The Walking Dead" name.
Old 04-26-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I when dumbass Nick slipped and fell into that pit with the walker and then another walker fell in afterwards on top off him.

Great job by Chris showing mercy on the poor guy with the broken back. Take a piece of metal and bash his skull in.

So, the characters featured in the opening along with the Asian woman and burned guy were from the 462 web series?

It really feels budget-wise, this show has half the budget of a Walking Dead episode. Moving production to Baja, Mexico and shooting on water probably saved AMC a ton. Yes, I agree this is a low budget cash grab.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-26-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-26-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"What's wrong with geriatric chic?"

Everything on the beach was just cringe worthy, it was stupid even by this show's brain dead standards. Almost feels like it's parody level stupid.
Old 04-26-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not even sure I want to watch this episode online (I missed it Sunday night, and don't have a DVR).

The opportunity to tell the stories people wanted to see has been missed. At best this show can now only be a solid retread of TWD. At worst, well, it's at worst now - a pale imitation of the original with bad characters and poor storylines.

And with TWD becoming a retread of itself the whole concept is getting old. I know the comic has it's continuing storyline, but how many psycho baddies can they deal with before the, "Been there, done that," factor becomes a problem with the ratings? There were so many things they could have done with that series to make it more interesting, but instead they just try to up the violence ante and call that a good show.

The whole Walking Dead TV universe is imploding. I'm pretty near done with it.
Old 04-26-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one that found (finds) this absolute rubbish.

I'm also not the only one that keeps watching it. I don't know why...

Well, actually I know why. I wanted to see a lot more about how this all started, as was promised. Apparently, that's not happening.

Chris, the new Carl.

Nick, the new... Not sure. Too many characters with equivalent stupidity on TWD.
Old 04-26-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It was an alright ep. Better than last week I guess. I'll still watch just to see where this all goes.
Old 04-26-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Floating Zombies vs Shark.
Old 04-27-16, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
"What's wrong with geriatric chic?"

Everything on the beach was just cringe worthy, it was stupid even by this show's brain dead standards. Almost feels like it's parody level stupid.
Agreed. That happens when you don't follow source material. They actually have to come-up with content. Reminds me of Walking Dead and pretty much everything that was invented in the last few seasons (hospital stuff with Beth, everything with Carol last season, etc), it all sucks.

Last edited by Luds; 04-27-16 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 05:22 PM

Who makes a boat that has a port in it below the waterline that if something as small as a hand gets stuck in it it disables the entire boat? And how powerful is the suction on that port that it keeps a grown man stuck to it even when the boat is going at full speed?
Wouldn’t fish be constantly sucked into that?
Old 04-28-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
Who makes a boat that has a port in it below the waterline that if something as small as a hand gets stuck in it it disables the entire boat? And how powerful is the suction on that port that it keeps a grown man stuck to it even when the boat is going at full speed?
Shhhh, don't ruin this show for everyone.
Old 04-29-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
It's called a dumb plot device, something which The Walking Dead has mastered over the years.
Old 04-29-16, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It's called a dumb plot device, something which The Walking Dead has mastered over the years.
Really really bad writing. Walking Dead is full of that.
Old 05-06-16, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I haven't watched a Talking Dead Episode, but what can they really analyze for an hour, or even 30 minutes?

TWD atleast has good character development so you can debate their motives and arc, but this show is so devoid of any character development.

Hardwick must be kissing ass all 60 minutes to keep it interesting.
Talking Dead seems to be geared towards the viewers who think Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead is actually happening somewhere in the world, and take this all way too seriously.

So the ass kissing is in abundance.
Old 05-06-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu View Post
Talking Dead seems to be geared towards the viewers who think Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead is actually happening somewhere in the world, and take this all way too seriously.
That's an apt description. I've only watched a handful of Talking outings, and it's embarrassing. People ask questions of the actors, as if the characters are real. I was waiting for Norman Reedus to explode "I have no idea! Daryl is not a real person! It's up to the writers to decide what's gonna happen!!!"
Old 05-06-16, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because no actor has ever been given additional insight into their character that wasn't shown on screen. I guess many people also never watch the special features that have actor discussing their character at length. I know I do. Usually pretty insightful given what they make up in head about what could have come before, or would come next, despite (in most cases) that they were not playing a real person.
Old 05-06-16, 05:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
That's an apt description. I've only watched a handful of Talking outings, and it's embarrassing. People ask questions of the actors, as if the characters are real. I was waiting for Norman Reedus to explode "I have no idea! Daryl is not a real person! It's up to the writers to decide what's gonna happen!!!"
Actually, Hardwick is giving the actor credit for inhabiting the mind of their character, which, ideally, is what an actor should do. He's hoping they'll provide insight into character motivations, etc. Obviously, these are questions better asked of the producers (who have the most creative control on Television properties), but a thoughtful and well-spoken actor can give some insight into their character's mindset. I'm sometimes afraid the actor is going to embarrass themselves by their answer.

I was reading a couple of interviews with Freddie Highmore this week because he wrote the most recent episode of "Bates Motel", and he has very specific thoughts on what Norman Bates thinks and feels and what he'll do and not do. He takes it very seriously, and in a creative sense, its a character he tries to make "real".
Old 05-06-16, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Terrible show, but I keep watching. This makes Z Nation look well-acted.
Old 05-06-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

No no, I'm well aware that an actor has to "get inside" his or her character's motivations and thoughts, and that can indeed be insightful in an interview. What I'm talking about is not Hardwick so much, but rather the audience and online questioners who really do seem to think that they're talking to the character and not the actor. Seriously, watch the show sometime, and these people will scare you. They do have difficulty separating fact from fiction.
Old 05-06-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seen every episode of 'Talking' and have no idea what the hell you mean.
Pretty sure the only people who think this is actually happening in real life are North Koreans.
Old 05-06-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, the audience questions on TD can get annoying. They seem like they want to get the official canon answer to what a certain character was thinking at every moment or what a character would do in some speculative scenario.
Old 05-08-16, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Seen every episode of 'Talking' and have no idea what the hell you mean.
Pretty sure the only people who think this is actually happening in real life are North Koreans.
Talking Dead regularly trots out the actors whose character died on that week's episode of TWD and Hardwick goes to great lengths to assure the audience that the actor is OK.

Yes it's, somewhat, tongue in cheek, but it's also extremely cringeworthy.
Old 05-08-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu View Post
Talking Dead regularly trots out the actors whose character died on that week's episode of TWD and Hardwick goes to great lengths to assure the audience that the actor is OK.

Yes it's, somewhat, tongue in cheek, but it's also extremely cringeworthy.
However ... It is indicative of a major problem most have complained about regularly. The show runners' complete lack of self-awareness and delusions of grandeur.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.