TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E01) -- "The Red Woman" -- 4/24/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 12:40 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E01) -- "The Red Woman" -- 4/24/16

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Doran was one of the most patient, calculating and ruthless characters. I waited all last year for that reveal. Instead, he goes out like a bitch. I guess we'll see what they're doing with the Dorne storyline.
Book Doran was fucking awful. He doesn't do shit except talk about how he's trying to do shit.

And the one time he tries to do shit by sending Quentyn to woo Dany, his entire plan goes to shit when Quentyn decides to suicide himself by dragon.

As good as the escape scene with Sansa and Theon was, Brienne's rescue was so forced that it almost undermined the suspense building up to it.
I don't think the rescue was "forced" at all. Brienne has spent weeks nearby Winterfell waiting for Sansa's signal and probably saw the signal after she dispatched Stannis. Also, the fact that the tracking hounds were BARKING likely made it incredibly easy for her to follow the sound.

Last edited by Celtic Esquire; 04-25-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Arya killed Meryn but Jakken Hagar said it wasn't her time to kill yet, so she's been punished by being blinded.
Old 04-25-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Arya killed Meryn but Jakken Hagar said it wasn't her time to kill yet, so she's been punished by being blinded.
They also insinuated that it wasn't even the real Meryn that she killed didnt they?
Old 04-25-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

-eh seems it got answered multiple times while I was typing, lol.
Old 04-25-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
They also insinuated that it wasn't even the real Meryn that she killed didnt they?
Huh?
Old 04-25-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to my knowledge.
Old 04-25-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, either Snow gets resurrected sometime in the next two episodes or Davos is protecting his body for no reason whatsoever.

I wonder which plotline Littlefinger is going to pop back into.
Old 04-25-16, 01:48 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think it was more that she took it upon herself to take vengeance against someone who wronged Arya Stark when that name should no longer exist. As well as killing someone she was not given the directive to kill.
Old 04-25-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Well, either Snow gets resurrected sometime in the next two episodes or Davos is protecting his body for no reason whatsoever.
My new pet theory is that they'll try the necklace, but it won't work. But then one of the Walkers will try to raise him, and the combination of magics ("of ice and fire") will bring him back.
Old 04-25-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad to have this back, my only gripe was dorne & the young prince getting killed. There was no flow there and no understanding as to how sand snakes that were last seen on the docks are suddenly in his boat (and nobody has any solid idea where this boat is). I wonder if this was a late edit of some sort, like the writers decided that the dorne storyline is useless and they just thew up their hands and said 'everybody in dorne dies' and moved on.
Old 04-25-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
After she killed Meryn Trant, she returned to the house and someone wearing Jakken Hagar's face "died," and then we weren't really sure who was wearing whose face, and then she went blind. More or less.
Plus, with the way her scene played, it really seems like it's just as much a part of the training (instead of a punishment). The classic training strategy where you practice with some kind of handicap, to better learn to work with disadvantages. I doubt Arya stays blind for too long (although who knows with how slowly some of these plotlines are stretched out).
Old 04-25-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
It didn't seem forced to me. We know Brienne has been shadowing Sansa, and we know (or assume) she killed off Stannis, so it makes sense that she'd be looking for Sansa. I guess she had no way of knowing Sansa was out of the castle unless she was tipped off, though.
The last minute rescue from a friendly face cliche is extremely atypical of Game of Thrones. Previously in this show, heroes that make risky decisions have to suffer the consequences of their actions. Think about how they teased viewers with Arya reuniting with her family just before the Red Wedding. At no point should viewers stand up and clap while watching Game of Thrones, up until now, it's been a much more challenging show. Even when Joffrey died, they undercut that moment with Tyrion's arrest, because the show likes to rely on suspense rather than feel-good moments.

In the books, Theon and Sansa are captured by Stannis, which is great, because it offers great potential for conflict. Stannis is partially responsible for Robb Stark's death, how would Sansa interact with him, knowing her brother was in an open rebellion? Stannis would also view Theon as a traitor and surely be eager to dole out justice. However, by being rescued by Brienne, the writers sucked all of the suspense out of that storyline in the season premier. Every character in this show is flawed and three dimensional to some extent, except for Brienne. She is too perfect. She easily dispatches every obstacle she faces in this show.

Ever since the writers decided to stray from her storyline in the books they have used her as a walking, talking deus ex machina to tie up dangling plot threads. Don't know how to get Theon and Sansa out of their predicament? Have Brienne rescue them at the last minute! Don't know how to get Stannis out of the story so Melisandre can go to the Wall? Have Brienne kill him! Don't know how to separate The Hound from Arya so she can go to Essos? Have Brienne show up and fight him for no reason. It's very lazy writing and makes the world seem smaller that one character keeps meeting these characters and serving a catalyst for their next adventure.

I was very disappointed to see the writers go in this direction right after showing how important it is that Ramsay find them again. Dany's story was similar. They set up this suspense between her and the new Khal, then deflate it in the very same scene for some reason. Okay, so the Khalasar will be taking her in a direction she doesn't want to go, but we know she's in no actual danger now, that's not good storytelling. They had the opportunity to make Dany seem more vulnerable than she's been since the first season, which was easily Emilia's finest hour acting wise, but they threw that out the window.
Old 04-25-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, I guess we finally got the answer.

Jon Snow

Funny how 6 seasons into this show that everyone who was supposedly the main "Hero" of the show is now dead. It's really now more of an ensemble fantasy drama.

You think so, huh? I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of him.
Old 04-25-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
I think it was more that she took it upon herself to take vengeance against someone who wronged Arya Stark when that name should no longer exist. As well as killing someone she was not given the directive to kill.
Ok, that makes more sense.
Old 04-25-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182
You think so, huh? I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of him.
Hopefully SOON, or this will be known as the Weekend at Bernie's season.
Old 04-25-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

In the books, Theon and Sansa are captured by Stannis, which is great, because it offers great potential for conflict. Stannis is partially responsible for Robb Stark's death, how would Sansa interact with him, knowing her brother was in an open rebellion?
It's not Sansa in the books.

The one thing I've noticed about Brienne in the show is that she's becoming smarter. I guess she would have to after her multiples failures, but Brienne shouldn't ever be a clever character.
Old 04-25-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

In the season 6 trailers, there wasn't even one single shot of a scene from Dorne - it's like HBO knows that stuff is garbage.
Old 04-25-16, 03:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
In the books, Theon and Sansa are captured by Stannis, which is great, because it offers great potential for conflict.
I don't know what books you are referring to, but Sansa is never captured by Stannis. You are probably thinking of Jeyne Poole.
Old 04-25-16, 03:38 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

i hope Jaime can gather up an army and level Dorne so we can be done with that storyline; especially can't stand that one sand snake with the permanent scowl face that only a mother wouldn't punch.
Old 04-25-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling the Dorne story line isn't going to last very long anyway. At some point this story has to start moving toward the bigger picture, unless the white walkers are really going to win in the end.
Old 04-25-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The show is not doing much to change my opinion that the Dorne chapters should have been cut from the books completely. By my quick count, we've had at least nine Dorne chapters, and the story has gone nowhere. Oberyn was an interesting character, but I'd trade him for having some of the fat cut from the story.
Old 04-25-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
- Hotah immediately dead from one back stab. Waste of a potentially great character.
Since it was the titty sand snake who showed Bronn her familiarity with poisons, i assumed she used some fast acting stuff on her tiny blade. I guess her father taught her well?
Old 04-25-16, 04:45 PM

Could the woman that threw the staff at Aryan and then "fought" her be Jakken Hagar in disguise? Just a thought.....
Old 04-25-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by JSwarce
Could the woman that threw the staff at Aryan and then "fought" her be Jakken Hagar in disguise? Just a thought.....
Could be. But I'm pretty sure we've seen Jakken and that girl in the same room. To be honest tho, I'm figuring with this crowd, you can never know who's who...
Old 04-25-16, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Could be. But I'm pretty sure we've seen Jakken and that girl in the same room. To be honest tho, I'm figuring with this crowd, you can never know who's who...
They're all Jakken!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.