TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S2E09) -- "Nailed" -- 4/11/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S2E09) -- "Nailed" -- 4/11/16

Originally Posted by Geofferson
My only gripe with the episode was the school playground sequence. Couldn't Jimmy and crew simply have showed up there on the weekend when school wasn't in session to film their clip? Perhaps the flag wouldn't have been up I suppose.

(thought there's a lot of other, easier ways they could get that shot)
Old 04-12-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Here we go again...
we'll find out next week. But Vince Gilligan has secretly put season ending plot points hidden in episode titles before.
Old 04-12-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty good postmortem on the episode with it's writer/director.
Old 04-12-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
we'll find out next week. But Vince Gilligan has secretly put season ending plot points hidden in episode titles before.
You're referencing seven thirty-seven, down, over and abq title names from season 2. Only, for that one you really didn't have to rearrange and play A beautiful mind with them to get the hidden plot point.

It's too early for Gus to make an appearance here. That's for damn sure. I'll be happy to eat crow on this one, but it really does sound like folks are looking too deep in to the titles, a thing that they really dropped last season when they couldn't stick the landing of getting it all in sync.
Old 04-12-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Plus Season 2 of BB is well known for having everything plotted out in advance, unlike with the other seasons. Hell, with season 5A, Vince said that they wrote Walt with the machine gun at the diner, without knowing why he was there or what he had planned.
Old 04-12-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

You're referencing seven thirty-seven, down, over and abq title names from season 2. Only, for that one you really didn't have to rearrange and play A beautiful mind with them to get the hidden plot point.

It's too early for Gus to make an appearance here. That's for damn sure. I'll be happy to eat crow on this one, but it really does sound like folks are looking too deep in to the titles, a thing that they really dropped last season when they couldn't stick the landing of getting it all in sync.
Seems the perfect time for Gus. I would be surprised if he is not in the finale.
Old 04-12-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Well, you had to know to only count the episodes with B&W openings. Wasn't totally obvious either.
We just knew that after having every episode end in "O" last season (Kinda), we all figured there would be some reason every episode this season seemed to be a single odd word.
Old 04-12-16, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

If the Salamancas think that the truck was hijacked by a rival, then it looks like Mike might have sparked a conflict between the Salamanca gang and Fring's gang.
Old 04-13-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Love this show. Such a great episode yet again, really can't believe only one more left for the season and then another year or so wait for more. Opening scene with Mike was awesome the way he executed the truck hijacking. The scene with Jimmy, Kim, and Chuck was definitely intense as well. As others have mentioned I liked how both Jimmy's and Mike's actions were later shown to have unintended consequences. Curious if this is the end of Chuck or if he'll end up paralyzed or what.
Old 04-13-16, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Love this show. Such a great episode yet again, really can't believe only one more left for the season and then another year or so wait for more. Opening scene with Mike was awesome the way he executed the truck hijacking. The scene with Jimmy, Kim, and Chuck was definitely intense as well. As others have mentioned I liked how both Jimmy's and Mike's actions were later shown to have unintended consequences. Curious if this is the end of Chuck or if he'll end up paralyzed or what.
That would be a near-copy of the Ted outcome. I doubt they want to tread that close to the original series.
Old 04-13-16, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think about that but true that they may not go that similar. Maybe he ends up in a coma or something. For some reason I'm not sure he'll be killed off already but who knows.
Old 04-13-16, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I didn't think about that but true that they may not go that similar. Maybe he ends up in a coma or something. For some reason I'm not sure he'll be killed off already but who knows.
I think it's time for him to go. He's done a good job, but it's gotten really old seeing that SOB wrap himself in stuff acting like a weirdo so much.

In my opinion, they've done all they can with that character.
Old 04-13-16, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

An interesting thing about Chuck is the way he pontificates about integrity, but we saw him go out of his way to deceive his clients by hiding his mental illness.

Would Mesa Verde have signed with HHM if they saw what the real Chuck? The one who wraps himself up in thermal blankets, flips out around copy machines and cell phones, carries Coleman lanterns and lives without electricity in his home. He's debilitated to the point he can't even take care of himself. Would you trust this bugfuck nutjob with anything?
Old 04-13-16, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

(thought there's a lot of other, easier ways they could get that shot)
But then they couldn't have had that awesome Rupert Holmes reference.

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I think it's time for him to go. He's done a good job, but it's gotten really old seeing that SOB wrap himself in stuff acting like a weirdo so much.

In my opinion, they've done all they can with that character.
Agreed!
Old 04-13-16, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't disagree that it may be time for Chuck to go. I would have a little problem with the circumstances though. If he dies as a result of one of Jimmy's schemes, I would think it would cause Jimmy to straighten up a bit, not go the other way and become Saul.
Old 04-13-16, 07:46 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I would not be surprised what so over ever if Chuck is gone. Major complaints from these forums, other places, etc. were about his character and how his scenes just ruin momentum of the show. I remember Sony sending out surveys about the show and asking which character you like, which do you want to see more of, less of, etc. I was all about less Chuck.

Also, regarding Fring. I would not be surprised if he is in the last scene of the finale and then is a recurring character in Season 3. This show will have a shelf life of 5 or 6 seasons I imagine. Mid way through introducing him sounds about right to me.

I think at some point the show is going to need to kick into HIGH GEAR like BB did. The introduction of Fring and the story of how Mike became his Number 2 and Jimmy's real transformation will be that.

Last edited by dex14; 04-13-16 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-13-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Fring's people are responsible for injuring Hector to the point of being debilitated. Didn't Hector hate Fring in BB?

Also, Chuck is a douche and deserved what Jimmy did.

Old 04-13-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
But then they couldn't have had that awesome Rupert Holmes reference.
They changed it back, but for a few hours after this episode aired, his Wiki entry said that he spent a brief bit of time as a child in Albuquerque.
Old 04-13-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Maybe Fring's people are responsible for injuring Hector to the point of being debilitated. Didn't Hector hate Fring in BB?
He didn't like him from the moment they met, started pissing in the pool, called Gus gay, all that shit.
Old 04-13-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

If Chuck dies, what happens to his stake in HHM? Is it dissolved or is that something that can be passed in a will? Would check ever have put Jimmy in his will?
Old 04-13-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Here is a clip from next week's episode. It is spoilerific regarding:
Spoiler:
whether Chuck is dead or not.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fie...er-call-883359
Old 04-13-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I would not be surprised what so over ever if Chuck is gone. Major complaints from these forums, other places, etc. were about his character and how his scenes just ruin momentum of the show. I remember Sony sending out surveys about the show and asking which character you like, which do you want to see more of, less of, etc. I was all about less Chuck.
I don't always like Chuck but he's kind of become a character I love to hate or at least root against in favor of wanting to take Jimmy's side.

I think at some point the show is going to need to kick into HIGH GEAR like BB did. The introduction of Fring and the story of how Mike became his Number 2 and Jimmy's real transformation will be that.
Not specifically you but I've read the complaint a lot about people thinking the show is slow. To me I don't think most people with this complaint must have watched Breaking Bad week to week in its initial run and probably binged it because it wasn't exactly an action heavy show at all times either. It was always a fairly slow burning drama with some action scenes spread throughout and most of those occurred during the later seasons.
Old 04-13-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was loving the Rupert Holmes references!

He also had a kind of funny song about wearing glasses.

And I always loved his other hit, "Him".
Old 04-13-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
An interesting thing about Chuck is the way he pontificates about integrity, but we saw him go out of his way to deceive his clients by hiding his mental illness.

Would Mesa Verde have signed with HHM if they saw what the real Chuck? The one who wraps himself up in thermal blankets, flips out around copy machines and cell phones, carries Coleman lanterns and lives without electricity in his home. He's debilitated to the point he can't even take care of himself. Would you trust this bugfuck nutjob with anything?
This season has been doing a good job of showing the similarities between Chuck and Jimmy. They are both somewhat slippery and manipulative, but Chuck has legitimized his own behavior by generally staying inside the law, though his behavior is still ethically as unprincipled as some of the things Jimmy has done. Chuck uses respectability as a cloak to hide the fact that he and Jimmy are really not that different.
Old 04-13-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I loved how she went into "lawyer mode", fiercely defending him as she would a client. She was right, too - Chuck's accusation was pretty wild, and the simpler explanation (that he just transposed the numbers) would be the easiest one for a court to believe. I like how she demanded proof and then later told Jimmy to make sure there was no evidence.

What I didn't understand is why would Chuck send his guy to the copy shop to ask him and then come back himself to ask him the same thing? You would think once his guy told him the copy shop guy saw him, he would just start working on a subpoena.

Good point, and I also think the same is happening to Mike. He was very principled and I think this episode showed him even his good intentions can cause an innocent person to be killed. I think that is what will harden him into the man we see in Breaking Bad.
Not the only copy shop, helper guy likely visited several and then when he found that one went to get Chuck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.