Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black (BBC America) - Season 4 Thread - premieres 4/14/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 11:29 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Orphan Black (BBC America) - Season 4 Thread - premieres 4/14/16

Season 4 of the drama will see leader-of-the-pack, Sarah, reluctantly return home from her Icelandic hideout to track down an elusive and mysterious ally tied to the clone who started it all — Beth Childs. Sarah will follow Beth’s footsteps into a dangerous relationship with a potent new enemy, heading in a horrifying new direction. Under constant pressure to protect the sisterhood and keep everyone safe, Sarah’s old habits begin to resurface. As the close-knit sisters are pulled in disparate directions, Sarah finds herself estranged from the loving relationships that changed her for the better.

Returning this season is Jordan Gavaris as Sarah’s battle-worn foster brother Felix; Maria Doyle Kennedy as Sarah and Felix’s foster mother Mrs. S; Kristian Bruun as Donnie, Alison’s partner-in-crime and husband; Kevin Hanchard as Art, Beth’s detective partner who’s torn between his job and his loyalty to the clones; Skyler Wexler as Sarah’s long-suffering daughter Kira; Ari Millen as a mysterious new Castor clone, the likes of which we’ve never seen before; and Josh Vokey as Scott, Cosima’s lab partner. Also returning this season is James Frain as Ferdinand, an intimidating “cleaner” for shadowy organization, Topside; Allison Steadman as Kendall Malone, “the original”; and Rosemary Dunsmore as Susan Duncan, Rachel’s adoptive mother and one of the leading scientists of Project Leda. Joining the Orphan Black cast this season is Joel Thomas Hynes as Dizzy, an edgy, self-reliant hacker who doesn’t conform to group mentality.

10 episode season. I believe the game plan is to get a 5th and final season. But no worried on anything official yet.

Starting the thread a little early for anyone unaware this is coming back this week. I almost forgot about the show. It feels like so long to me since the last season. My enthusiasm for it has fallen since the first.
Old 04-11-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: Orphan Black (BBC America) - Season 4 Thread - premieres 4/14/16

I thought season 3 was better than season 2 but still not up to season one. Read a mild spoiler that part of this season was going to be in
Spoiler:
flashback, following Beth's last days
Old 04-11-16, 12:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i saw the first 4 minutes of the season premiere and the above is true.
Old 04-11-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I had no idea what was going on in this show last season, but I still enjoyed watching it. Mostly for the housewife plotline, I think. Hopefully this season is easier to follow.
Old 04-11-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The first half of season three was a series lowpoint. However, I thought the second half of season three (especially all the stuff with Donnie and Alison) was a series highpoint. No more male clone storyline please.
Old 04-11-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

While the plot has gotten out of control at times, I thought Tony was the series low point.
Old 04-14-16, 07:18 AM

Premieres tonight. There is an aftershow (ala Talking Dead style) following at 11pm.
Old 04-14-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep reading that this season is supposed to be back to being like season 1. I sure hope so. I have found this show to be almost unwatchable the past few seasons. The plot became so convoluted, I had no idea what was happening, nor did I care.

I'll give this season a try and hope they can get back on track.
Old 04-14-16, 09:05 AM

^^^ Agreed. The first season absolutely blew me away. I told so many people about the show and got them in to watching. I felt bad for doing so after last season.

Maslany continues to kill it though.
Old 04-14-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
^^^ Agreed. The first season absolutely blew me away. I told so many people about the show and got them in to watching. I felt bad for doing so after last season.

Maslany continues to kill it though.
Agree on all points. Its a great show when it sticks close to the clones and their personal storylines, but it becomes dull when it digs into the Sci-Fi elements of the plot.
Old 04-14-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Good to finally see Beth's origin, and I liked the way they used it to re-introduce the Neolutionists.

I'm guessing the new clone, Mika(?), has Asperger's or is a high functioning autistic?
Old 04-15-16, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I believe the game plan is to get a 5th and final season. But no worried on anything official yet.
It got a renewal for seasons 4 and 5 at the same time...
Old 04-15-16, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm guessing the new clone, Mika(?), has Asperger's or is a high functioning autistic?
Maslany on "After the Black" last night said MK was just shy/repressed/paranoid. Oh, and that she modelled her looks on Bjork.

I liked the episode. Delivered on "back to basics/the beginning" without the convoluted mess of handling too many characters/plot points.
Old 04-15-16, 05:14 PM

As many might have guessed, BBC America really screwed up moving Orphan Black from Saturdays at 9pm to Thursdays at 10pm, at least from a ratings/ad revenue perspective. With increased weeknight competition, the Season 4 premiere had just 0.229 million viewers and a 0.08 in the 18-49 demo.

Compare that to these numbers from S1 to S3:

S1 average - 0.375 million / 0.16
S2 average - 0.555 million / 0.25
S3 average - 0.512 million / 0.17
S3 finale - 0.428 million / 0.15

I watched S1-S3 live on Saturday nights, but I get up at 6am for work, so I'll be watching S4 On Demand on either Fridays or Saturdays (which counts for something, I suppose, since I can't skip the commercials).
Old 04-15-16, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

First episode of season 4 was pretty good. I wasn't looking forward to this after how bad season 3 was for me.
Old 04-15-16, 09:08 PM

I enjoyed the premiere a lot, was surprised to get a prequel episode. They did a good job with it.

So much happens in this show it's a challenge to keep up with, I regret not getting to rewatch the first 3 seasons this past Winter like I planned.
Old 04-15-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Maslany on "After the Black" last night said MK was just shy/repressed/paranoid. Oh, and that she modelled her looks on Bjork.
I was thinking she might be autistic when she said the exact measurements of the crystals and water she used to make the instant tea. Having one of the clones be autistic would be an interesting way to handle a new clone.

There's some speculation that "M.K." Is Veena from IDW's Orphan Black: Helsinki comic book series, but it didn't look like the right side of her face was scarred.

Old 04-17-16, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Season four opened to a series low.

The series premiere had 230,000 viewers, down from 430,000 viewers or the season three finale last year.

I would wager that the decline in viewers is down to the move to Thursday night, the lack of promotion, and having Teriminator 3 as a lead-in.

I have no idea why this was moved to Thursday night. It's not like BBCA has a full schedule, and the old Saturday evening timeslot was filled with Star Trek The Next Generation re-runs. Are they trying to kill it? Outside of Doctor Who, this is the most popular program they have. Just hope it gets another season to wrap up the story; I seem to recall the producers saying they were looking at five seasons.
Old 04-17-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Season four opened to a series low.

I have no idea why this was moved to Thursday night. It's not like BBCA has a full schedule, and the old Saturday evening timeslot was filled with Star Trek The Next Generation re-runs. Are they trying to kill it? Outside of Doctor Who, this is the most popular program they have. Just hope it gets another season to wrap up the story; I seem to recall the producers saying they were looking at five seasons.
In the US, at least, Saturday is considered a "dead" night, and Thursday a better and more profitable night. They may have thought they were improving their situation, since OB has a following.

Last edited by DWilson; 04-17-16 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
In the US, at least, Saturday is considered a "dead" night, and Thursday a better and more profitable night. hey may have thought they were improving their situation, since OB has a following.
Saturdays are a dead night where broadcast network television is concerned, but BBC America has seen success (and a few failures, to be honest) with original programming on that night.
Old 04-17-16, 04:58 PM

Sad to hear that about the ratings. Hope that trend doesn't continue the rest of the season.
Old 04-17-16, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by arbogast777
It got a renewal for seasons 4 and 5 at the same time...
No it didn't.
Old 04-17-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually thought the season premiere was very weak and unnecessary. Needs more Alison dammit!
Old 04-20-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would wager that the decline in viewers is down to the move to Thursday night, the lack of promotion, and having Teriminator 3 as a lead-in.
Or it could be because of how bad last season was. I was pretty close to not coming back. I finally watched the premiere last night. The "previously on" segment made zero sense to me because I think I blocked out last season already.

I liked seeing Beth again. I always thought they made a mistake by killing off too many interesting clones in the beginning. And I liked that period in season 1 when Sarah was impersonating Beth and learning about her life while she struggled to be a cop. I always wished they had drawn that out longer.
Old 04-20-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Or it could be because of how bad last season was. I was pretty close to not coming back. I finally watched the premiere last night. The "previously on" segment made zero sense to me because I think I blocked out last season already.
Possibly, but it seems like they did very little promotion for this season and the day change. I didn't learn about the move to Thursday until I noticed it was showing up in my DVR to-do list on Thursday and wondered why it wasn't recording on Saturday.

I liked seeing Beth again. I always thought they made a mistake by killing off too many interesting clones in the beginning. And I liked that period in season 1 when Sarah was impersonating Beth and learning about her life while she struggled to be a cop. I always wished they had drawn that out longer.
You might see her again. It's been speculated for a while that Beth faked her suicide by talking a sick and dying clone into jumping in front of the train and leaving her purse and ID behind.

The premiere even sort of hinted at this in Beth's conversation with MK. Also, we never saw Beth's decision to kill herself or the events leading up to the train platform. And Beth never seemed suicidal; unhinged, but not fully suicidal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.