Marvel's Cloak and Dagger (Freeform) -- Series Thread -- premieres 6/7/18

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-07-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/marv...es-1201747907/

Freeform is venturing into the Marvel universe.

The younger-skewing Disney-owned network has greenlit “Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger” with a straight-to-series order, Variety has exclusively learned.

Described as a superhero love story, “Cloak and Dagger” is based on the titular comic book duo (also known as Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson) who have appeared in Marvel Comics classics, including “Spiderman” and “X-Men” stories.

The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

No writer has been attached to the series, but the search is currently under way. Marvel Studios and ABC Signature Studios will co-produce.

The characters’ story is targeted toward young adults, making “Cloak and Dagger” a seamless fit for Freeform (previously ABC Family) whose target audience is “Becomers,” the 14-34 demo.

Marking the network’s first-ever Marvel series, Freeform is following in the footsteps of big sister net ABC, which has a slew of Marvel properties on its slate including “Agents of SHIELD” and “Agent Carter,” plus Mockingbird spinoff “Marvel’s Most Wanted” and a top-secret Marvel project from John Ridley in development. Getting Freeform into the Marvel game is a smart move for Disney-ABC, as the cable network is held to lower ratings standards than a big broadcast network. (ABC has struggled with ratings for “Agent Carter,” which remains on the bubble in the wake of critical praise.)

Superhero fare is a new genre for Freeform, which recently pushed into fantasy fare with “Shadowhunters.” That drama was just renewed for a second season, and “Cloak and Dagger” will pair nicely with the saga series, broadening the net’s programming.
Old 04-07-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
re: Marvel's Cloak and Dagger (Freeform) -- Series Thread -- premieres 6/7/18

Interesting channel choice to show it on, given the topic of them being runaways that were picked up and tested on with new types of drugs for the street.
Old 01-25-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

http://www.darkhorizons.com/has-marv...ak-and-dagger/
Relative unknowns Noah Gray-Cabey (“Heroes”) and Debby Ryan (“Jessie”) have reportedly been chosen to play the lead roles of Tyrone “Ty” Johnson and Tandy Bowen in Marvel and Freeform’s “Cloak and Dagger” TV series.

MCU Exchange broke the casting report, saying they’ve heard the news from unnamed sources. Lending some very minor credence is that Gray-Cabey was recently followed on Twitter by showrunner Joe Pokaski, while Ryan meanwhile has started following the official page for the characters as well.

The comic follows two teenagers from very different backgrounds who discover newly acquired superpowers while falling in love – Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their complicated world even more challenging.

The series is said to be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Gina Prince-Bythewood was previously announced as director of the pilot episode. Production on the series is expected to begin next month.
Old 01-25-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the little boy from Heroes? I feel old.
Old 01-30-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to this site 2 completely different people have been cast.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/marvels-...es-1201897410/
Old 01-31-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

Deadline is far more reputable.
Old 04-19-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E5hrFVQiGyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-19-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I guess the drug angle is too extreme for Freeform?
Old 04-19-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Maybe they just didn't show it in the pilot? If not, I guess they are just going the mutant route and their powers develop during adolescence?

Last edited by lwhy?; 04-19-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Maybe the just didn't show it in the pilot? If not, I guess they are just going the mutant route and their powers develop during adolescence?
Even though Marvel owns the rights to them outright, I doubt they even reference mutants because of the X-men BS. I mean in the comic it was both (they were given drugs that gave them powers but survived because they were mutants). As long as they don't make them Inhumans...
Old 04-19-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Even though Marvel owns the rights to them outright, I doubt they even reference mutants because of the X-men BS. I mean in the comic it was both (they were given drugs that gave them powers but survived because they were mutants). As long as they don't make them Inhumans...
There is a drama pilot at fox right now about a runaway band of mutants starring Stephen Moyer from True Blood. http://tvline.com/2017/02/27/stephen...a-pilot-x-men/

It's a Marvel pilot. I don't know why they can't have Cloak and Dagger be mutants too.
Old 04-19-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
You saw something there that shows that it wasn't a drug thing?

I don't remember because it's been a decade since read them but were they
a couple in the comic?
It's not what I remember.
Old 04-19-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trailer looked good.
Old 04-19-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lwhy?
There is a drama pilot at fox right now about a runaway band of mutants starring Stephen Moyer from True Blood. http://tvline.com/2017/02/27/stephen...a-pilot-x-men/

It's a Marvel pilot. I don't know why they can't have Cloak and Dagger be mutants too.
Isn't that a Fox production, or co-production though?
Old 04-19-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
You saw something there that shows that it wasn't a drug thing?

I don't remember because it's been a decade since read them but were they
a couple in the comic?

It's not what I remember.
They were in the Ultimate universe.
Old 04-19-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
Isn't that a Fox production, or co-production though?
Yes, though the rights are complicated here. Apparently, Fox did not previously have the rights to do X-Men on TV -- Marvel did, though they did not have the rights to any of the characters, which is why we ended up with Mutant X in the early 2000's. A couple of years or so ago, Marvel and Fox did some quid-pro-quo stuff sending Ego the Living Planet to Marvel and Fox getting at least limited X-Men television rights were apparently part of that deal.
Old 01-19-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Sneak peak from the premiere:

Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger is the story of Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph) – two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers which are mysteriously linked to one another. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.
Premieres June 7th
Old 01-19-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

I almost forgot about this show after I hit this thread last year. It has been an eternity since they released the trailer but at least it is actually going to air, granted in the summer but hey...hopefully it turns out to be one of those perfect for summer viewing shows.
Old 03-20-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New trailer:

Old 06-06-18, 07:23 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k2H0aRZADRA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rg8PPGBu3gA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Marvel's Cloak & Dagger" is the story of Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph) - two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers which are mysteriously linked to one another. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging. "Marvel's Cloak & Dagger" stars Olivia Holt, Aubrey Joseph, Andrea Roth, Gloria Reuben, Miles Mussenden, Carl Lundstedt, Emma Lahana, Jaime Zevallos, and J.D. Evermore. The series will premiere on Thursday, June 7 (8:00 - 10:00 p.m. EDT/PDT) and is co-produced by Marvel Television and ABC Signature Studios. Joe Pokaski ("Underground," "Heroes") serves as showrunner and executive producer; Jeph Loeb ("Marvel's The Punisher," "Marvel's The Defenders"), Marvel's head of Television, and Jim Chory ("Marvel's The Punisher," "Marvel's The Defenders") also serve as executive producers. Gina Prince-Bythewood ("Love & Basketball") directed the first episode.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Andrea Roth as Melissa Bowen
· Aubrey Joseph as Tyrone
· Carl Lundstedt as Liam
· Gloria Reuben as Adina Johnson
· J.D. Evermore as Connors
· James Saito as Bernard Sanjo
· Miles Mussenden as Michael Johnson
· Olivia Holt as Tandy

CREW INFORMATION:
· Gina Prince-Bythewood as DIR (Pilot)
· Jeph Loeb as EP
· Jim Chory as EP
· Joe Pokaski as CRTR/EP
10 episode first season.

I'm not sure how much this is on people's radar, so giving it a bump a day early.
Old 06-06-18, 09:49 AM

I saw the first 4 episodes about a month and a half ago and was VERY impressed. In a way, I can see a drug angle working into their origin, but it's definitely not front and center in the story.

The actors pull off the roles quite nicely and I found there to be engrossing character development even in the side characters. When I reviewed it (at a very high level), I said that Freeform is the perfect channel for it. Having its content so devoted to the young adult audience gives it the freedom (no pun intended) to be as earnest as the time of life was for all of us without irony or the unintentional condescension that adulthood brings with it.

I've been more pissed that I have to wait so long for further screeners to get released.
Old 06-07-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This wasn't really on my radar at all, especially on Freeform, but reviews some really positive. Adding this to the DVR.
Old 06-07-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this channel available on DirecTV?
Old 06-07-18, 11:39 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Is this channel available on DirecTV?
It should be. Check here: http://whatchannelfreeform.com/
Old 06-07-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It should be. Check here: http://whatchannelfreeform.com/
Thanx.

EDIT: channel 311

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.