Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

All the Way - HBO movie starring Bryan Cranston as Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson - 5/21/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

All the Way - HBO movie starring Bryan Cranston as Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson - 5/21/16

Old 04-04-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's the trailer:

Bryan Cranston reprises his Tony-winning role in ALL THE WAY, a riveting behind-the-scenes look at President Lyndon B. Johnson's tumultuous first year in office after the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Staking his presidency on what would be an historic, unprecedented Civil Rights Act, Johnson finds himself caught between the moral imperative of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the expectations of the southern Democratic Party leaders who brought Johnson to power. Directed by Jay Roach from a screenplay by Robert Schenkkan, who adapted his Tony-winning play of the same name. The cast also stars Anthony Mackie, Melissa Leo, Bradley Whitford and Stephen Root, and includes Marque Richardson, Aisha Hinds, Todd Weeks, Mo McRae, Spencer Garrett and Frank Langella.

Produced for HBO by Amblin Television, Tale Told Productions and Moonshot Entertainment, with Steven Spielberg, Robert Schenkkan, Jay Roach, Bryan Cranston, Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey executive producing.
Old 04-04-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: All the Way - HBO movie starring Bryan Cranston as Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson - 5/21

From Hollywood Elsewhere :

Same Material, Different Approach

I liked and respected the Broadway stage version of All The Way, but it didnít knock me flat on my back. The trailer for Jay Roachís HBO adaptation (debuting on 5.21), in which Bryan Cranston again plays Lyndon Johnson during his greatest historical hour, suggests it might be a bit more finessed and therefore a tad more engrossing. Some things work better when they donít have be broadly performed and more or less shouted from a stage. Costarring Anthony Mackie (Martin Luther King), Melissa Leo (Lady Bird Johnson), Bradley Whitford (Hubert Humphrey), Stephen Root (J. Edgar Hoover), Todd Weeks (Walter Jenkins), Mo McRae (Stokely Carmichael), Spencer Garrett (Walter Reuther) and Frank Langella (Sen. Richard Russell).
Old 04-11-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: All the Way - HBO movie starring Bryan Cranston as Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson - 5/21

I will check this out

Confirmation the movie about the Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill hearings premieres this Sat and that is a must see too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHIvZuypso4
Old 06-10-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was pretty good though kind of long.

LBJ did some great things but he was kind of an ass and surprised he was not all in for civil rights at first.

It seems Jay Roach has found a new career making political movies for HBO.

Cranston has to win the emmy for this.

Old 09-22-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: All the Way - HBO movie starring Bryan Cranston as Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson - 5/21/16

Just watched this and it was pretty good.