Reload this Page >

Survivor: Kah Rōng (S32E07) -- "It's Merge Time" -- 3/30/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-30-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

A TRIBE MERGE RESHUFFLES THE GAME AND ITS ALLIANCES, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 30

"It's Merge Time" - A Tribe merge reshuffles the game and its alliances. Also, a brutal individual immunity challenge keeps castaways on their toes, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, March 30 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The three competing tribes are:

The Brains Tribe

Peter Baggenstos (6th Eliminated)
Aubry Bracco

Joseph Del Campo

Neal Gottlieb

Elisabeth Markham (3rd Eliminated)
Debbie Wanner

The Brawn Tribe

Cydney Gillon

Darnell Hamilton (1st Eliminated)
Alecia Holden (4th Eliminated)
Kyle Jason

Jennifer Lanzetti (2nd Eliminated)
Scot Pollard

The Beauty Tribe

Michele Fitzgerald

Anna Khait (5th Eliminated)
Nick Maiorano

Caleb Reynolds (Medical Evacuation)
Julia Sokolowski

Tai Trang
Old 03-30-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Kah Rōng (S32E07) -- "It's Merge Time" -- 3/30/16

Don't eat while watching this episode.
Old 03-30-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lame
Old 03-30-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Don't eat while watching this episode.
I was coming here to type this exact thing. And unfortunately I was

I'm sure this will probably be brought up with in-season interviews Jeff Probst does after each episode ... could Neil have passed on the HII to Aubry? If he could, maybe Neil was thinking that the move would've hurt Aubry by putting a big target on her? Or maybe as soon as the doctor said he was pulling Neil from the game, Neil is no longer officially playing ... and passing an idol to an ally is an "in-game" action that isn't allowed?

Has this even come up before?

Tough spot Debbie put Tai in. And I think even Debbie's allies saw she wasn't getting very heartfelt agreement from all the new allies she was press-ganging. As we saw from previous seasons, if someone offers an alliance with you it's disastrous to turn them down. The only move is to accept ... and figure out what you want to do later.
Old 03-31-16, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evidently Peter and Liz both had staph infections that required surgery when they were eliminated. Peter theorizes that he brought it with him, since he is an ER doctor.

Pictures from Liz post-op. Not for the squeamish.
Old 03-31-16, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Sad day for Neal, and all of his fellow ice cream entrepreneurs who were cheering him on.
Old 03-31-16, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Debbie looks like a turtle outside of its shell.
Old 03-31-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Neal could have easily said a private "good-bye" to Aubry passing the idol to her during a hug. I all but expected it to happen. It was clear she was too.

For the second season in a row the Brains in these stunts prove otherwise.

As I expected, Tai is showing how he much of a threat he will be. Anybody still thinking it was a mistake for him to keep his idol? I wouldn't underestimate Julia either.
Old 03-31-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Debbie's "we've been talking for two seconds, you're part of our alliance now" approach. She completely can't read obvious disinterest from people.

So did Neal have staph infection as well?
Old 03-31-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Neal could have easily said a private "good-bye" to Aubry passing the idol to her during a hug. I all but expected it to happen. It was clear she was too. .
Then again, Neal just found out he's being pulling and is extremely upset. It's understandable that doing a strategic move to help Aubry is pretty low on the list of things going through his mind at the moment.
Old 03-31-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
So did Neal have staph infection as well?
They would have to collect a sample for testing. Maybe they'll do that at Ponderosa.
Old 03-31-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reading interviews with Neal and Jeff, I have answers to some of the things I was thinking about.

Jeff on whether Neal would've been allowed to pass the HII to Aubry after he had been pulled: short answer ... yes, he could have!

Because we were aware he had an idol and knew he might want to give it to someone, either in public or in private, we discussed this beforehand. Our decision was yes, he would have been allowed to give his idol to someone and heres why he didnt know he was going to be pulled from the game. The decision to pull someone is made by a doctor after examining in private and thats not anything Neal should be expected to anticipate. So once he was pulled, it seemed fair to let him do or say whatever he wanted on his way out. I actually thought he would do it. I was surprised, but thats why Survivor continues to be fun you truly cannot predict what people are going to do.
Which seems fair. As opposed to someone being eliminated at Tribal Council with an idol in their pocket ... then it's too late. Because you have to know that someone is going home. And if you don't play an idol, it could be you.

And for Neal keeping the idol: sounds like a combination of things. Wanting the souvenir, he and Aubry not being as closely allied as the footage made it seem, and just plain not being in the frame of mind at that moment to be thinking strategy for his alliance.

On his decision to not give Aubry the idol:
Thats a decision that I will probably go back and question for the rest of my life. But in the moment it was the one physical thing from the game that I love very much that I could hold onto. And the night before when I let her know that I had the idol she also made it clear that if she had to, she would have no problems slitting my throat. And in the moment, knowing there was such a good chance that I was going home the next day because of an evacuation, that wasnt funny to me.

So it was kind of a combination of factors. I thought on one hand, I gave her life by my life being extinguished in the game and it got her at least three days further. And sometimes the threat of an idol can be as powerful, if not more powerful, than an idol itself. What you didnt see was me giving her a jacket, and people didnt know what was in that jacket.

On if there was a moment in the days after when he regretted not giving Aubry the idol:
Oh, about 15 minutes later. I dont think I was in the bigger boat yet. But I cant describe the mental state that you are in when it just gets ripped away from you like that. Im still convinced I was going to win that damn thing.
Old 03-31-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Neal View Post
And the night before when I let her know that I had the idol she also made it clear that if she had to, she would have no problems slitting my throat.

What you didnt see was me giving her a jacket, and people didnt know what was in that jacket.
These two points are interesting. Not sure why she'd tell him that, bad timing the night before he goes. Also him giving her the jacket meant he was thinking about it. End of the day he wanted the souvenir more than he wanted to help her, and can't blame him if she told him she'd have no problem slitting his throat.
Old 03-31-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If I'm reading that correctly, it sounds like he thought there was a possibility he might be taken out of the game. So perhaps the visit by Probst & the doctor wasn't a surprise, which seems logical since there had already been conversations about the various injuries and each player was being checked daily from what I've read.

Doesn't take away the sting from being removed, but it appears he wasn't blindsided by it. It became all the more apparent when they moved him away from the group to a "better location" to discuss his wounds.
Old 03-31-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure that the doctors and producers had already been decided that Neal was getting pulled from the game, and that the check-ups that we saw were just for show.

The contestants all get physicals before each challenge, so the producers and doctors probably decided after the pre-immunity challenge physical. When the contestants saw Jeff and the doctor, they had to have known that someone was getting pulled.
Old 03-31-16, 03:58 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad I ate lunch before looking at the photos of Liz!

Deb is not going to go far at all, unless people want to take her for being obnoxious..

I thought tai would win the challenge.
Old 03-31-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the doctors and producers had already been decided that Neal was getting pulled from the game, and that the check-ups that we saw were just for show.
I sure hope so because otherwise Neal makes no sense in the interview posted above.

Now one just has to wonder when we will finally see an idol get passed. There have been so many opportunities, but no dice as of yet.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-31-16 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It seemed a little choreogaphed. The challenge wasn't especially physical so I wonder if they just let that play out and then planned to pull him after it and this gave them a shot to storyline it a bit. It also gave them a chance to film some of the post challenge strategy (I think, or was most of the stuff from before the challenge?)

I'm a little suprised they don't give the tribes some real basic first aid stuff to keep cuts clean around camp - basic bandages, ointments, etc. I don't see how that would affect the gameplay and they already give them some basic tools. pots and pans, rice anyway.
Old 03-31-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
The contestants all get physicals before each challenge, so the producers and doctors probably decided after the pre-immunity challenge physical. When the contestants saw Jeff and the doctor, they had to have known that someone was getting pulled.
Really? Didn't know that.
Old 03-31-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Checkups are now daily, not just before/after challenges

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/31...cal-evacuation
JEFF PROBST: The bumps, abrasions, and infections were on our radar from the first few days....Our medical team always checks out the players before and after challenges and Tribal. We added another layer of monitoring after the infamous challenge, during which three players went down. From that point forward the players received daily checks at the beach.