Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Kaôh Rōng (S32E05) -- "The Devils We Know" -- 3/16/16

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Survivor: Kaôh Rōng (S32E05) -- "The Devils We Know" -- 3/16/16

CASTAWAYS DROP THEIR BUFFS AND SWITCH THINGS UP, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16

"The Devils We Know" - The castaways drop their buffs and switch things up, and one castaway feels all alone in the game following the tribe switch, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, March 16 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The three competing tribes are:

The Brains Tribe

Peter Baggenstos

Aubry Bracco

Joseph Del Campo

Neal Gottlieb

Elisabeth Markham (3rd Eliminated)
Debbie Wanner

The Brawn Tribe

Cydney Gillon

Darnell Hamilton (1st Eliminated)
Alecia Holden (4th Eliminated)
Kyle Jason

Jennifer Lanzetti (2nd Eliminated)
Scot Pollard

The Beauty Tribe

Michele Fitzgerald

Anna Khait

Nick Maiorano

Caleb Reynolds (Medical Evacuation)

Julia Sokolowski

Tai Trang
Old 03-16-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Survivor: Kaôh Rōng (S32E05) -- "The Devils We Know" -- 3/16/16

They keep voting out the eye candy
Old 03-16-16, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, great blind side...I didn't see that coming!
Man, I wonder when Peter looks back on this show if he will learn ANYTHING about how obnoxious and arrogant he comes across....everybody hates him.
Old 03-16-16, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There goes two big reasons why I've been enjoying this season.
Old 03-16-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

That outcome sucked. Lose the hottie and stuck with more Peter. He just exudes arrogant douchebaggery.
Old 03-16-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agree on the loss of eye candy... but Debbie's still around

Thought Scott and the Beauty folk had an opportunity to flip things and keep the idol. If Scott had convinced the Brains to split the vote over fear of an idol, he could have then flipped and voted with the two beauty folk to take out Peter. And the worst case if they turned on him and decided not to split the vote it would have been a 3-3 vote.

If it works that would have left it 3 beauty, 2 brains, one brawn, so the beauty folks would still need Scott as an ally
Old 03-17-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Pretty much.
Old 03-17-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Yup. The episode was also ridiculously predictable after that tribe lost immunity given the twist forced upon them. The edit to show considering Peter may have made some of his haters think twice, but I doubt many fell for it.

I thought that was an interesting twist. Will be fun to see how the rest of it works out next week. Will she come in only to be voted off right away? She certainly didn't look like she will gain an advantage by getting a break from the challenges.

Biggest development this week was Pollard finding out about the other idol and talking him out of using it. Wouldn't surprise me int he least if Pollard talks the two of them into using their combined idol powers to blindside a power player in a few weeks.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-17-16 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-17-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I assume that is a first. Beauty tribe goes undefeated the first 4 episodes and ends up in the minority of both tribes at the shuffle.
Old 03-17-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I assume that is a first. Beauty tribe goes undefeated the first 4 episodes and ends up in the minority of both tribes at the shuffle.
The tribe was split 2/2/2. How is that a minority? It's their own damn fault they couldn't swing the previous Braun tribe members their way, no?
Old 03-17-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Yeah, that sucked. Because they have so many members left, and by the odds got one sent packing alone, they ended up a target of everyone else.

Originally Posted by Shinobi

Old 03-17-16, 02:03 PM

It was a predictable outcome, but I still was on edge before the votes were read thinking Tai might have made a mistake not playing the idol.

Heard an interesting argument on the RHAP podcast today for the yellow tribe to throw the challenge because it would keep the brain tribe with the most players left instead of potentially losing one in a vote from the blue tribe which was split 2-2-2. It ended up going that way anyway, but it's interesting to think about.
Old 03-17-16, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Tai should have played the idol. I would if I were playing since it would get rid of a Brain tribe member and add another player to your alliance. Guaranteed spot to the merge...
Old 03-18-16, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Man, they really killed this season with voting out the eye candy for me. I just can't bother to care any more.
Old 03-18-16, 05:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brainee
Well, there's always Tai.

It was funny to watch the occasional blurring technique applied to Anna...curiously, sometimes it was just one side (buff slippage?).

My wife's dry comment was her typical response:

"Those aren't real."

Said in the same tone she uses to inform me of other disappointing or deflating news.
Old 03-18-16, 05:21 AM
Banned

Sad that Probst has given up calling contestants by last names.

Was looking forward to hearing him calling out "Sokolowski," "Gottlieb," and "Baggenstos."

BTW...Julia lucked out by getting the red bandana. Getting a pass on elimination in exchange for a brief exile...especially when you've got friends on each tribe...doesn't seem to be a bad trade-off. Surely she has plenty of time to forge new alliances.

It was a bit sad to see her standing alone on her mat while everyone else was greeting each other. Maybe it was just the edit, but you'd think at least one person would have walked over to say something to her instead of leaving her isolated like she wasn't even there.
Old 03-18-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Tai should have played the idol. I would if I were playing since it would get rid of a Brain tribe member and add another player to your alliance. Guaranteed spot to the merge...
It all comes down to who he thinks will target him later in the game, or who he can't beat at individual challenges. That, and it was too early to use it when it was clear he would not need to play it to save himself. I do think it will be used to blindside a strong player in a few weeks. Hopefully in super idol mode such that it will be a complete blindside. The target could not know until after the vote that Tai and the other player want them gone.
Old 03-18-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tai will be golden if they have a totem pole challenge.
Old 03-18-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I'm still not really sure I'm getting the advantage of blowing 2 idols on one vote or just working together with the idol person to sway/fix two different tribals opposed to just doing the "after the vote" sort of thing in one use. I guess if your alliance has it and you just want to not do any work in figuring out who the vote is going to sway towards. But for me, I'd rather just have two idols work as their single version.
Old 03-18-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know if the producers actually expect it to get used that way or if they just wanted to add another item for people to negotiate and argue over. It seems like a longshot just to have one person have an idol and know that another person does as well in order to even consider a deal.
Old 03-18-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But essentially that is exactly what has happened with Pollard knowing that both Tai and Jason have idols, and knowing about the super idol power. I suspect he will create an alliance with those two before long, ending with the three of them in the know. The ultimate irony would be if it was used to take out Pollard after the vote.
Old 03-18-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm still not really sure I'm getting the advantage of blowing 2 idols on one vote or just working together with the idol person to sway/fix two different tribals opposed to just doing the "after the vote" sort of thing in one use. I guess if your alliance has it and you just want to not do any work in figuring out who the vote is going to sway towards. But for me, I'd rather just have two idols work as their single version.
Being able to play an idol after the vote is hugely powerful. IMO much more powerful than 2 regular idols. There's no guesswork at all ... you play it, you save who you want when you want. In earlier seasons of Survivor where the "Super Idol" was the norm, just the knowledge a player had it usually meant no one voted for them (since no one in the majority alliance is willing to be the sacrificial lamb ... willing to go home to flush out the idol so someone else can win).

Now I'm looking forward to a couple of players putting the idols together after the vote. Preferably while saying "Super Idol powers ... ACTIVATE!"
Old 03-18-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by creekdipper
It was funny to watch the occasional blurring technique applied to Anna...curiously, sometimes it was just one side (buff slippage?).

My wife's dry comment was her typical response:

"Those aren't real."

Said in the same tone she uses to inform me of other disappointing or deflating news.
Old 03-18-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Extremely disappointing episode. The only ones I could stand going into the episode were Beauty minus Nick, so Michele, Anna, Julia and Tai. And of course this episode blew them up in the worst way.

Meanwhile, I understand the appeal of the super idol for Scott, but I think he would have benefitted from evicting Peter, and for Tai especially I don't see the sense in what he did. Given the choice between taking out brains or beauty then the former seem the way to go. Getting rid of Peter could have meant a strong foursome of Scott plus three Beauties, who could have taken out the other 2 Brains when needed. The last thing that Brawn or Beauty should want is to see all 5 Brains still there when the merge comes. Those are the schemers, and if I were Scott I would feel good about the chances of him, Cydney and Jason dominating a tribe made up of mostly Brawn and Beauty, even moreso when they know that Tai has the Idol and no one knows that Jason has it from Brawn.

The super idol will be great when they need it, but I feel that this move dramatically increased the likelihood that they will. The smart thing would have been to work for a situation where playing an idol would never be necessary, let alone a super one.
Old 03-18-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tai making the "wrong" decision is based on what COULD happen IF original tribe members remain loyal. Seemed to me the best option was for him to keep the idol since he was not the Beauty member they were targeting. Not only does he now still have the idol, he also has some potential allies from Braun. Allies that I would bet he could beat in many types of individual challenges.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.