Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) - Premieres May 3, 2016

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-16-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TV Line - Person of Interest Season 5

Premieres May 3, then airing twice per week (Monday and Tuesday) until the finale on June 21.
Old 03-16-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) Premieres May 3, 2016

Ah, twice a week. I was wondering how they could start so late but still air so many episodes.
Old 03-16-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

finally...
Old 03-16-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Clearly this is the last season with that schedule. At least it will be late season show when there is less to watch.
Old 03-16-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Clearly this is the last season with that schedule. At least it will be late season show when there is less to watch.
It was announced earlier today that this was the final season.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/person-o...bs-1201721683/

I'm guessing they're doing the accelerated schedule because they want to make room for their summer programming.

I read a comment earlier today from a former fan of the show blaming the cancellation and ratings decline on the show changing from procedural to convoluted serialized science fiction. I guess that lost a lot of people.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-16-16 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) - Premieres May 3, 2016

Those are the people who watch ncis, so fuck them. Show got infinitely better when it became serialized.
Old 03-16-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) - Premieres May 3, 2016

Sadly CBS being the AARP channel means anything other than mindless procedurals has little to no chance. The show got infinitely better when they started adding in more serialized elements, including all the reoccurring characters, and the stories they brought with them.
Old 03-17-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't think it was the serialization as much as the high-concept AI stuff that began to dominate in seasons 3 and 4. I could see general audiences getting confused and/or lost in that topic. I thought it was pulled off fairly brilliantly but they went places television had never gone before.

Apparently killing off Detective Carter didn't help things with the ratings, though I thought her character arc had nowhere to go and was dragging episodes down.
Old 03-17-16, 08:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I don't think it was the serialization as much as the high-concept AI stuff that began to dominate in seasons 3 and 4. I could see general audiences getting confused and/or lost in that topic. I thought it was pulled off fairly brilliantly but they went places television had never gone before.

Apparently killing off Detective Carter didn't help things with the ratings, though I thought her character arc had nowhere to go and was dragging episodes down.
Love the show, but as it moved more and more toward Science-Fiction I felt it was probably turning off the larger "general"audience. I had a similar feeling watching "Hannibal", which kept its integrity but steadily solidified itself as a "niche" show.
Old 03-17-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

My Wife and I have been enjoying the heck out of the reruns that air on WGN. It's such a good show. With all of the crap that's on TV, it's a shame such a great program is being cancelled. Sad.....
Old 03-17-16, 07:20 PM

There were also a couple of seasons that CBS didn't have the license to air On Demand. So I bet that alienated viewers to be loyal during the season. I think that was for the first two seasons.

So during those seasons, if your DVR messed up or the show got bumped for "breaking news", you were out of luck. I remember viewers being disappointed when they missed a few episodes due to tornado emergencies a few years ago.

Fortunately, last season had On Demand viewing so CBS finally listened to the complaints.
Old 04-19-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1st promo for the final season

Old 04-19-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 05-02-16, 09:25 PM

Does anyone have a solid schedule for this final season? The only one that comes close to being complete is on wikipedia, and I don't know how much I can trust that.

TV.com for example only has the first four episode dates listed.
Old 05-02-16, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
Does anyone have a solid schedule for this final season? The only one that comes close to being complete is on wikipedia, and I don't know how much I can trust that.

TV.com for example only has the first four episode dates listed.
http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/p...rest/listings/
Old 05-02-16, 09:43 PM

awesome thanks! Surprisingly, it matches wikipedia.

I was skeptic of the wikipedia schedule because of the episode that airs on Memorial Day. Usually Memorial Day TV has repeats.
Old 05-02-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This show still on? I totally forgot about it...
Old 05-03-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Season officially and finally premieres tonight.

I guess this will be the thread for the final 13 episodes.

REESE AND FINCH ARE PREPARED TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO RESUSCITATE WHAT IS LEFT OF THE MACHINE, WHILE ROOT FIGHTS FOR HER LIFE AND FUSCO IS QUESTIONED BY THE NYPD, ON THE FIFTH SEASON PREMIERE OF "PERSON OF INTEREST," TUESDAY, MAY 3

"B.S.O.D." - Reese and Finch attempt to rescue the Machine's source code before it deteriorates beyond repair. Also, Root fights for her life against an onslaught of Samaritan's agents and Fusco is faced with hard questions following the deaths of Dominic and Elias, on the fifth season premiere of PERSON OF INTEREST, Tuesday, May 3 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

REGULAR CAST:

Jim Caviezel (John Reese)
Michael Emerson (Harold Finch)
Kevin Chapman (Lionel Fusco)
Sarah Shahi (Sameen Shaw)
Amy Acker (Root)
RECURRING CAST:

Brett Cullen (Nathan Ingram)
Carrie Preston (Grace Hendricks)
Robert Manning, Jr. (Zachary)
Ned Eisenberg (Det. Soriano)
GUEST CAST:

David Aaron Baker (S.A. Martin Leroux)
Lisa Tharps (IAB Agent Glenda Sumner)
Dikran Tulaine (Bela Durchenko)
Mason Alban (AK-12)
Michael Blaustein (Club Kid)
WRITTEN BY: Greg Plageman and Tony Camerino

DIRECTED BY: Chris Fisher

Old 05-03-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...on-of-interest

Interesting write up by Alan Sepinwall. He bailed on Person of Interest early in it's run when he thought it was just another bland CBS action procedural. Plus, he had too much on his plate already as he claims. He gave it another shot after hearing positive word of mouth from other TV critics & learning about the show's mythology and caught up via Netflix in his spare time. Now he enjoys it and thinks it's underrated.

He's seen the 1st 4 episodes.

He makes an interesting remark about watching network TV with 22-24 episodes per season vs. only 13 on cable

That's another factor of Peak TV fatigue: it's hard enough to justify binging a cable drama that's heavily serialized and has only 10-13 episodes a season, but when you're talking about a broadcast network show that does twice as many a year and follows the old X-Files model of doing a bunch of standalone episodes for every mythology-driven hour, it threatens to feel like homework.
I'm sure this feeling applies to many here. I've seen many here claim that it becomes tedious and feels like a chore trying to follow so many episodes of TV every season.
Old 05-03-16, 10:27 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Solid start to the season.
Old 05-04-16, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, didn't really seem to progress the story much. When Reese and Root are near invincible fighting machines it takes a lot of the dramatic tension out of the stalking/fighting scenes, and there were a lot of them this episode.

The use of PS3's was cool, since they can run linux (Root was even correct in pointed out they needed the early versions, since later revisions lost that capability) and have been used to form supercomputer equivalent cluster machines, but the overheating sequence was kind of dumb. PS. Also kind of a stretch for a recycling center to have 300 functioning PS3s in stock.

Last edited by wmansir; 05-04-16 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A fairly solid opener more reliant on action than usual for Person of Interest.
Old 05-05-16, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Per...e-Series/22237

The Final season Blu-Ray comes out July 19th.

A complete series set will also be released the same day.
Old 05-05-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There goes one surprise...
Old 05-05-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
There goes one surprise...
Are you talking about Shaw? She was seen in last season's finale and it was widely reported that she was coming back.

Good start to the final season. Glad that it picked up right where the finale left off.

Loved Root talking to the Machine...."You can call me Root, Bitch!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.