Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) - Premieres May 3, 2016

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) - Premieres May 3, 2016

Old 06-05-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) - Premieres May 3, 2016

As an ending I'd be more than happy with them defeating Samaritan and continuing to deal with the numbers.
Old 06-07-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Person of Interest (CBS) - Season Five (Final Season) - Premieres May 3, 2016

POI: DC

Possible spinoff? lol
Old 06-08-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Holy shit, that new team with past numbers was a fantastic twist.
Old 06-08-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oppenheimer and his team built the atomic bomb and basically ended war between nations, Midgely and his team created freon to make fridges safer and put a chemical in gas to make it work better and did more to harm the environment than should be possible for one person
Old 06-10-16, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got caught up on the last 3 eps. I have the same taste in music with whoever picks this show's, so I was fully expecting that song from the 100th ep's title, and I knew exactly why they would use it, and as the show went on I knew for whom, but damn if I'm still not upset over it.
Old 06-10-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Since the latest episode had some cameos from past "numbers", I was hoping there would be a Carter reference (even though she's dead).
Old 06-15-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

There is your Carter reference.

I gotta think the virus somehow doesn't wipe out either machine. Too bad we never got to see the machine unleashed.
Old 06-16-16, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

I don't think the virus works like Finch expects or something else happens that he hasn't revealed. Not that POI hasn't been fun these past few episodes, but the show has gone down a notch in quality after the Shaw endless simulation episode.

I thought a certain semi-regular character's death this episode was odd and almost pointless. It has become more of a mindless action show about battling AIs than the carefully structured action and drama we've been getting for nearly three seasons.
Old 06-16-16, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

This season has been nothing short of fantastic. Too bad it couldn't continue.
Old 06-21-16, 06:46 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

FINCH, REESE, FUSCO AND SHAW EMBARK ON ONE LAST MISSION TO PREVENT SAMARITAN FROM DESTROYING THE MACHINE AND CEMENTING ITS HOLD OVER MANKIND, ON THE SERIES FINALE OF "PERSON OF INTEREST," TUESDAY, JUNE 21
Old 06-22-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Pretty good series finale. Took me a while to put together the timeline, since they aired it as a jumbled mess. But in the end, I was satisfied.

Gave a salute at the end. Cheers POI, cheers.
Old 06-22-16, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Basically, the entire season has been told within a "framing sequence", -the opening narrative from The Machine told in Root's voice (though we didn't know this) and the series re-visited it tonight and put it in context. Then there was another framing sequence with Harold on the rooftop.
Terrific finale, very emotional at times.
Old 06-22-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved the finale; satisfying on all fronts. Gonna miss the characters, and gonna miss that music! Bravo!
Old 06-22-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the finale was OK. Some good moments for the characters, but the plot was a bit too conventional. Overall I thought there was a lot of wasted potential in this finale season.
Old 06-22-16, 07:29 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bittersweet finale, very well done.
Old 06-22-16, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good ending to the series.
Old 06-22-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

I agree. Very good ending. Sad to see it go.
Old 06-22-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Way to go out like a hero Reese.

Good finale. Tied up everything nicely. Can we get a spin-off with Shaw?
Old 06-23-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wmansir
I thought the finale was OK. Some good moments for the characters, but the plot was a bit too conventional. Overall I thought there was a lot of wasted potential in this finale season.
This is closer to how I feel about the finale than effusive praise. I may be even more critical about it.

Person of Interest was a great show at times over its run but this finale felt somewhat unimaginative for a show constructed about superpowered AIs fighting for control of the world. I also personally despise the framing device of beginning near the end and then flashing back to see how the characters got there. It's a lazy device for hacks.

This seemed to be the Hollywood-style action blockbuster ending, replete with Samaritan's final gambit being uploaded to a satellite and a one-in-a-billion shot where the Machine somehow beats or corrupts Samaritan head to head.

The more personal, emotional character stuff was fine, if a tad predictable and uninspired.

My final autopsy on season five would be a much stronger first half with a decent endgame, though I was expecting more intricate plotting for it. I only complain because Person of Interest has been such a good show in the past.

I don't think it was necessary giving Root's voice to the Machine. That was a little too cute by half and kept taking me out of the story.
Old 06-23-16, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They give the characters such badass death scenes, like Hersh got shot a dozen times then blown up, I was like if they kill off John, I bet it will be spectacular. Still wasn't expecting 50+ bullets and a cruise missile. I'm ok with this being the last season but I would have liked a full season. The 5th season of Fringe seemed to fit in 13 eps, this was just bursting at the seams.
Old 06-23-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read a comment somewhere (aka a complete unreliable source) that said the network still had constraints on the show for this last season and required some episodes to be episodic in nature. On the one hand that doesn't make much sense to me, but it could be an explanation for why the season was so uneven.

Personally I think the finale would have worked better if they didn't pull the switcheroo and it was Reese watching Harold sacrifice himself. Reese has always been the action man with a bit of a death wish, so giving him the hero's death was too easy. I would have rather seen him watch Harold have that moment, then pick himself up and keep moving forward. Harold on the other hand was always reserved and exercised an abundance of caution, not only in his own physical safety, but in his regard for the Machine. For the longest time he was more concerned with protecting humanity from the Machine, and/or it's misuse, than protecting the Machine itself.

Also, maybe it's the programmer in me, but I couldn't help but think that having Harold survive undercut the urgency of ensuring the Machine survived. As long as Harold is alive he could always rebuild the machine. It may not be the exact same thing, but it's likely he could create something close enough.

And one nitpicky thing is that I wish they had been able to show the impact of the virus a bit more. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the virus was a scorched earth, wipe out every computer type of thing. It may have been a budget/time limitation.
Old 06-23-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

From a creative point of view, if someone had to die, it had to be Reese or Shaw, as hardened soldiers in this war, they are somewhat redundant characters. From a dramatic view, Shaw had already died once before, and she would be considered the more predictable, “cannon fodder” death, while the lead characters survive. This end allows Shaw to continue a relationship of sorts with Root, leaving them as two machines slowly humanizing each other. Harold has always had another life just out of reach, by his own choice; there’s always been an alternative for him, -something he’s denied himself, -and now he can embrace that and leave his war behind (for as long as that’s possible). Fuscoe is more of the regular guy in this equation, -the corrupt guy who’s been redeemed (though I wish they’d explain how he got out of the fix he was left in). Reese is a man who was “dead” when Finch found him. They’ve established that he’s always propelled toward his death one way or another. They really hadn’t established another alternative for him, -his only option was to continue the Machine’s work, but they chose Shaw for that role. Reese cheating death only works if he were now in the mentor role, but since there was no spin-off or continuation, I’m sure the producers felt the most satisfying option was a heroic death.
Old 06-23-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Binged the last 5 episodes last night after being out of town for almost 1 month.

Thought it was a very good final season and I enjoyed the finale. I have a feeling the writers knew this was going to be the end coming into it and they wrote the finale knowing they weren't coming back. Even though the final season stayed serialized for the most part, I kind of liked how they mixed in some old numbers of the week type stories as well.

As mentioned, I think John went out a fitting way. When we were introduced to him in the pilot, he was a lost soul and dead inside, but Harold gave his life new purpose. I think he saw this and his "agreement with the Machine" as his way to give his life meaning in going out the way he did.

I was a little disappointed how they followed up on Root's death even though Amy Acker did make a few more appearances in the final few episodes. She was shot in that car chase sequence, she and Harold were apprehended and then the follow up episode, she was 6 feet under. I would have rather seen her go out in a blaze of glory on screen.

Harold being reunited with Grace at the end was bittersweet, although he would have a lot of explaining to do.

Hopefully Jonathan Nolan's next show "Westworld" in the Fall will be just as good.
Old 06-25-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Complete Series artwork. Comes out July 19th. For anyone who hasn't purchased the individual seasons.

Old 06-27-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't remember seeing this interview linked here. It's with the showrunners and they go over what was left out of season five for various reasons.

http://tvline.com/2016/06/21/person-...le-reese-dies/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.