Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (CBS) -- S: Gary Sinise -- Series Thread -- 3/16/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (CBS) -- S: Gary Sinise -- Series Thread -- 3/16/16

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

UNIT CHIEF JACK GARRETT AND HIS INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE TEAM ARE CALLED TO THAILAND WHEN THREE AMERICAN VOLUNTEERS DISAPPEAR, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "CRIMINAL MINDS: BEYOND BORDERS," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16

Gary Sinise, Alana De La Garza, Daniel Henney, Tyler James Williams and Annie Funke Star

"Criminal Minds" Star Joe Mantegna Guest Stars as David Rossi

"The Harmful One" - Unit Chief Jack Garrett (Gary Sinise)
and his International Response Team (IRT)
travel to Thailand when three American volunteers go missing during a trek to Bangkok, and reconnect with former colleague Clara Seger (Alana De La Garza)
, who helps them rush to gather evidence leading to the UnSub before a storm threatens to wash it away, on the series premiere of CRIMINAL MINDS: BEYOND BORDERS, Wednesday, March 16 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Gary Sinise, Alana De La Garza, Daniel Henney, Tyler James Williams and Annie Funke star. CRIMINAL MINDS star Joe Mantegna guest stars as David Rossi.

CRIMINAL MINDS: BEYOND BORDERS, a spinoff of the hit CBS Television Network series "Criminal Minds," is a drama about the specialized International Division of the FBI tasked with solving crimes and coming to the rescue of Americans who find themselves in danger while abroad. Heading the International Response Team is Unit Chief Jack Garrett, a seasoned 20-year veteran of the Bureau. The team he trusts with his life includes Clara Seger, a smart, well-traveled and multi-lingual cultural anthropologist, Matthew Simmons, a former military hero with split-second profiling skills he honed on the battlefield, Russ "Monty" Montgomery, the unit's compassionate, brilliant tech analyst who additionally liaises stateside with the families of those in trouble while his group is far from home, and Mae Jarvis, the team's fearless and fun medical examiner. These exceptional agents are dedicated to safely returning U.S. residents home by profiling and identifying criminals who are beyond our borders.

REGULAR CAST:

Gary Sinise (Jack Garrett)
Alana De La Garza (Clara Seger)
Daniel Henney (Matt Simmons)
Tyler James Williams (Russ "Monty" Montgomery)
Annie Funke (Mae Jarvis)
GUEST CAST:

Joe Mantegna (David Rossi)
Keong Sim (Officer Taksin)
Nora Rothman (Sarah Harris)
Austin Saunders (Laura Johnson)
Scott Alin (Jeff)
Doua Moua (UnSub)
Eck Stone (Benz)
Jerry O'Donnell (Mr. Little)
Conn Barrett (Mrs. Little)
Fawnda McMahan (Mary)
Austin Brooks (Frank)
Laura Carson (Julie)
Sydney Viengluang (Female Officer)
Christopher Naoki Lee (Local Kid)
Scott Ly (Officer #1)
Jim Ounniyom (Officer #2)

WRITTEN BY: Erica Messer, one of the series' executive producers

DIRECTED BY: Colin Bucksey

13 episodes ordered.

This is a spin-off of the original series. The backdoor pilot aired as an episode of Criminal Minds last season.

Alana de la Garza from Forever replaced Anna Gunn as the series co-lead.

Trailer:

I know procedural dramas like this aren't a draw in this forum. But, I'm a fan of the original series and like Gary Sinise and Alana de la Garza. Plus, according to all the press material I've read, the show will have a new international location every week. Won't be taking place in LA, NY or DC like most CBS procedurals. I don't expect much commentary, but I'll post this for posterity.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-17-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-17-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (CBS) -- S: Gary Sinise -- Series Thread -- 3/16/1

I watched it. It was okay - pretty much the same as an episode of Criminal Minds. I thought everyone was a little too "smiley" though. I guess they are glad to be have steady work and visit exotic locations.
Old 03-17-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (CBS) -- S: Gary Sinise -- Series Thread -- 3/16/1

Saw it too. Yup, it was pretty much Criminal Minds International.

It was decent. I'm from Thailand and was curious at how accurate the Bangkok sets would be. Aside from using stock footage, the Bangkok sets didn't really look like the real thing. It felt small, but I know they can only do so much on an LA studio set. The Royal Thai Police uniforms were accurate.

I do like that the team will be traveling the world weekly, so that could keep things fresh for being a procedural drama.
Old 03-17-16, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Saw it too. Yup, it was pretty much Criminal Minds International.

It was decent. I'm from Thailand and was curious at how accurate the Bangkok sets would be. Aside from using stock footage, the Bangkok sets didn't really look like the real thing. It felt small, but I know they can only do so much on an LA studio set. The Royal Thai Police uniforms were accurate.

I do like that the team will be traveling the world weekly, so that could keep things fresh for being a procedural drama.
D'oh! It fooled me - I even said at one point while watching it, "I guess everybody got a free trip to Thailand." Must have been the stock footage. The jungle scenes did seem too California-like.
Old 03-17-16, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this show basically Team America: Criminal Minds? (or is that Criminal Minds: World Police)?
Old 03-18-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by karoomba
is this show basically Team America: Criminal Minds? (or is that Criminal Minds: World Police)?
Special Unit of the FBI that gets called when Americans overseas get in trouble. They have to work in conjunction with local law enforcement.

Gary Sinise said that this unit actually exists within the FBI.
Old 03-18-16, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Special Unit of the FBI that gets called when Americans overseas get in trouble. They have to work in conjunction with local law enforcement.

Gary Sinise said that this unit actually exists within the FBI.
There's a pretty good action/suspense movie called "The Kingdom" about the FBI investigating a bombing of some Americans in Saudi Arabia. Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner and Chris Cooper are in it.
Old 03-18-16, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, I wonder if other countries do the same thing. Like visit the US and work alongside the FBI if one of their citizens is murdered.
Old 03-25-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk God

2nd episode was better than the 1st.

Took place in Mumbai, India and dealt with organ theft. Actually a pretty dark and relevant storyline. The killer was kind of a scrawny guy, but he did feel threatening.

They did a pretty good job re-creating the Indian slums.