TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 2 Discussion Thread - 3/18/16

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 2 Discussion Thread - 3/18/16

Originally Posted by bluetoast
BTW, Frank's superior officer is Byron from The Shawshank Redemption. He was also in Hail, Caesar for like 10 seconds.
Also known as Lex Luthor from the Timm Superman and Justice League series.

I'd know that voice anywhere.
Old 03-19-16, 07:25 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really not sure about this releasing a whole season all at once thing

Aside from the fact you have to stay away from spoilers, it's quite indulgent

Maybe release a new episode every other day ? that would make it last 3.5 weeks

I know you can watch however many you want but part of the fun of shows like this is the inbetween episode discussions you can have.

Now you just can't have them, only one end of season discussion
Old 03-19-16, 07:34 PM
Banned

Soooo you're just not happy w/ how a discussion of a show happens now?

Seems like a minor gripe. You enjoyed a previous release format but this whole shoot your load in one go just is too much for you cuz you don't get enough talk about each episode. I guess that makes sense.

I actually prefer it this way. I don't watch any TV really. This lets me have control on how I watch it.
Old 03-19-16, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Soooo you're just not happy w/ how a discussion of a show happens now?

Seems like a minor gripe. You enjoyed a previous release format but this whole shoot your load in one go just is too much for you cuz you don't get enough talk about each episode. I guess that makes sense.

I actually prefer it this way. I don't watch any TV really. This lets me have control on how I watch it.
It may be a "minor gripe," but OD is hardly the first person to bring this up. There's absolutely something to be said for both a collective cultural experience and the opportunity for each episode to stand on its own. I think the biggest problem with the "all at once model" is that all the episodes just blur together and there's less pressure to have each one achieve greatness.
Old 03-19-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The only thing I don't like about releasing the entire season at once is that I have to wait a year to watch new episodes! Thankfully we'll have more Jessica Jones and Luke Cage soon.
Old 03-19-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Finished! I have to say, the last couple episodes disappointed me too.

Spoilers for Episodes 11-13 and thoughts about the entire ending and plot -

Spoiler:
I felt largely the same as Snake on a lot of points.

-Frank's Colonel being a bad guy and setting up Frank was so typical and boring. Ugh. Just the idea of the old boss or leader pretending to be a friend or whatever only to really be a bad seems so overused.
-The Punisher finds this huge armory, spray paints the skull and looks like he's going to go to war and then.... he just snipes a couple ninjas and thats it? Really? I expected him to help take out that huge group of ninjas on the room with some heavy ammo.
-Speaking of which, what the hell happened to all those ninjas? They show a shit ton more then we actually see Elektra and Daredevil fight - yeah, Nobu tells some to hold off so he can fight them, but there were certainly a few ninjas left. Where did everyone else go?
-I really liked seeing Nobu, but he felt like much less of a bad ass then he did in Season 1 when he cut Matt to shreds. He just wasn't a "big" enough final villain guy to close the season out with.
-I still don't really get the Black Sky stuff. If it's Elektra, I don't see what's so special since Nobu seems like he can beat her, as can Daredevil. She's good, but doesn't come off as the greatest thing ever for The Hand. The attempts to show her as a child with Stick was nice, but didn't work for me the way those scenes were cut in.
-I'm disappointed in Elektra's death, mostly because I feel like it robbed viewers of an iconic Bullseye showdown. Although I guess you see a hint of that with the sais when she kills Stick's guys in the car. Maybe they didn't want to go that route because the Affleck movie already did it, but Nobu doing it and only by accident because Elektra gets in the way didn't have much impact on me either.

Overall, I felt like none of the new characters or overall story came close to the gravitas that Fisk had last season. The show did a real good job introducing the new players, I just think the show didn't do a good job keeping the momentum up with the story that they were working with.
Old 03-19-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
It may be a "minor gripe," but OD is hardly the first person to bring this up. There's absolutely something to be said for both a collective cultural experience and the opportunity for each episode to stand on its own. I think the biggest problem with the "all at once model" is that all the episodes just blur together and there's less pressure to have each one achieve greatness.
I think it takes away a lot from talking about specific plot points in each episode.

Most here just go through it like:

I've watched 7 episodes so far, good stuff

I'm through 9 episodes holy shit!!

Just finished the season, good stuff. Looking forward to season 3.

And then that's it end of thread and end of their participation. The threads for these binge shows end up being very bland and dead when everyone blows their load in 3-4 days.
Old 03-19-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

While releasing all episodes may limit forum discussion, I think the viewer experience is improved by not having to wait week to week. Between the two, I prefer the ability to see the entire story at your own pace. Discussions are fun, but I like indulging myself in a series like this all at once more.
Old 03-19-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Another issue with watching them all at once is that since it blends together over the course of a day or two, one year later I forgot a ton of what happened the previous season. To a lesser degree, that's also the case with shows with short 10 week runs too. I watch as they air, forget about it for a year, then the next season, occasionally I have to go "what the fuck are they talking about? - oh wait yeah I sorta remember that..."
Old 03-20-16, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Binge watching is the most fun way to watch tv. I don't want to lose that even if it does hamper episodic discussions. Waiting 9 months to see a full season of a tv show is so antiquated.
Old 03-20-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Through 5 episodes.

Very interesting introduction of Elektra:

Spoiler:
Putting her as a dark thrill seeker and bringing out the worst in Matt. I thought the non-linear storytelling in this episode worked pretty well. Different take on the character compared to Garner in the movies. She comes across as kind of a brat here. When Matt was beating the shit out of the guy that killed his father, it looked like Elektra was getting off on it.
Old 03-20-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the first few episodes but it painful trying to watch episode 4-6 with Elektra in it. I will wait a few days and then resume watching.
Old 03-20-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think it takes away a lot from talking about specific plot points in each episode.

Most here just go through it like:

I've watched 7 episodes so far, good stuff

I'm through 9 episodes holy shit!!

Just finished the season, good stuff. Looking forward to season 3.

And then that's it end of thread and end of their participation. The threads for these binge shows end up being very bland and dead when everyone blows their load in 3-4 days.
I totally agree with you. The only alternative would be to create a weekly thread for shows like this for the non-binge people. It could co-exist with the "entire show" thread for those that binge. I don't know if that would create confusion, though.
Old 03-20-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished last night. Last few eps were all right. My thoughts:

Spoiler:

Karen, who is barely an entry level journalist gets her own private office? I wonder what the other long time employees think about that. Plus, that newspaper seems to be very heavily focused on Hell's Kitchen related news, which would make it like a small town newsletter.

Great to see Foggy shine, he had some good moments throughout the show.

Obviously we're going to see Foggy be friends with Matt again, but the dissolution from the Frank Castle case to the end was a bit long winded and repetitive.

Foggy knows that Matt is Daredevil, he was even at the fucking party when Matt met Elektra. So keeping that whole part of his life (with Stick, the Ninja stuff) secret, yet being open about being Daredevil was a bit weird.

Still need to see Jessica Jones, but the references were so blatant that even having only seen part of one ep, I probably caught all of them.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-20-16 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 02:24 PM
Banned

I also thought it was weird too w/ Karen. I thought the same thing you did about how others would feel about that there.

Didn't bother me that Matt was holding back some things. This season really shows how much issues Matt has in accepting in people helping and knowing his issues. I think it fit well in that.
Old 03-20-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just felt it was like two different shows. Not even with the lawyer stuff, but I'm talking about in terms of Daredevil interacting with the supposedly supernatural stuff on one side, and then the Punisher stuff on the other. All that warring faction shit reminded me of Blade: The Series.

Also was it just me or

Spoiler:

Did they change Melvin's personality? I thought he was mentally challenged last season, but this season that didn't seem to be the case.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-20-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 02:38 PM
Banned

What doesn't help it is that Frank has resolution but he never full out becomes what we thought he would be cuz... he's The Punisher. We only get an assist. What would have been better is if Frank came in big. The episode highlighted how big this Hand was but in the actual encounter it seemed very normal compared to what Matt and Elektra had handled. The show needed an epic finale for all that. It didn't. It got a normal resolution as if we were still missing more episodes. It needed Frank kicking ass at the end in a big way.

Goddamn them. They were do so fuckng good w/ Frank and then the end... doesn't hurt Frank but it just gets so much bigger and menacing the more we're w/ Frank that the end just doesn't really show him off.

He was easily the most interesting character here. Just cuz he was hurting so bad.
Old 03-20-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah about that confrontation:

Spoiler:

Frank picked off like two guys, I expected him to start blasting a ton of people. Another thing about him, he has either been extremely lucky or extremely careful that he has not accidentally shot or even killed an innocent person.

By the way, do you think Frank recognized Matt at the end?

Also, with Daredevil (and even Stick's) super senses, you'd think they'd be able to tell that Elektra was not in the grave.

Another random thought: Since the Marvel TV/movie universe is so huge now, I wonder if some actors might get pissed that they're in a super minor role in a show, and thus "not able" to have a part in a movie. Of course they could still cast a minor dude in different roles, but it'd be funny if say someone like the dude who played Kingpin's dad in Season 1 was "ineligible" for being a random bad guy in a current Marvel movie.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-20-16 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW, Frank's superior officer is Byron from The Shawshank Redemption. He was also in Hail, Caesar for like 10 seconds.
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Also known as Lex Luthor from the Timm Superman and Justice League series.

I'd know that voice anywhere.
I thought he was more known for this than anything else.

Old 03-20-16, 03:41 PM
Banned

Yeah about that confrontation:

Spoiler:

Frank picked off like two guys, I expected him to start blasting a ton of people. Another thing about him, he has either been extremely lucky or extremely careful that he has not accidentally shot or even killed an innocent person.

By the way, do you think Frank recognized Matt at the end?

Also, with Daredevil (and even Stick's) super senses, you'd think they'd be able to tell that Elektra was not in the grave.

Another random thought: Since the Marvel TV/movie universe is so huge now, I wonder if some actors might get pissed that they're in a super minor role in a show, and thus "not able" to have a part in a movie. Of course they could still cast a minor dude in different roles, but it'd be funny if say someone like the dude who played Kingpin's dad in Season 1 was "ineligible" for being a random bad guy in a current Marvel movie.
I also thought this Frank was going to cross a line he doesn't do. But he didn't. His decoy and all that afterwards? I seriously thought Frank was going to cross that line cuz he was pissed. But no. Glad he didn't go that route.

I thought he did recognize him just cuz the way he moved about it in that confrontation but he didn't act like it afterwards.

Remember the end? They took out the box and killed the guy that works there.
Old 03-20-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The decoy? Also what box...I'm blanking for some reason.
Old 03-20-16, 03:47 PM
Banned

Frank taped the guy's hands to the wheel. That was a decoy for Frank so he could get Grotto from the DA.

And at the end after they leave we get a moment afterwards that show that they took out the coffin and killed the guy working there. They took out the coffin.
Old 03-20-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Just finished the season. Loved it. Frank Castle is a badass. Best scene in the season was Castle
Spoiler:
killing all those inmates
. I hope we get a spin off series.

I had no idea
Spoiler:
Fisk
would be in this season, so that was a pleasant surprise. I also liked Carrie Anne Moss showing up to merge the worlds or Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Alot of great action scenes, great acting by the entire cast. I'm still not sure how I feel about Elektra. The actress did as good a job as she could, but I feel like they could have found someone better.

Anyway, can't wait for more next year.
Old 03-20-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh okay yeah - I got you now Snake, at first I thought you meant a lookalike.
Old 03-20-16, 11:31 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Ok, now that I'm done watching I don't hate you all any more.

I can watch many more seasons if this if they keep it up.

However, I could have used more Punisher doing more punishing things while donning the skull.

And questions about the colonel:

Spoiler:
-he's the blacksmith?
-he's the one that shot up the DA office and Karen's apt?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.