Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mindhunter (Netflix) -- Season 1 -- S: Groff, McCallany, Torv; EP: Fincher, Theron

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mindhunter (Netflix) -- Season 1 -- S: Groff, McCallany, Torv; EP: Fincher, Theron

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-17, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
re: Mindhunter (Netflix) -- Season 1 -- S: Groff, McCallany, Torv; EP: Fincher, Theron

Finished this off tonight. I thought it was decent.

They should make the Holden character gay because the actor really can't play straight. I keep expecting him to come out of the closet in the show - just like in "Boss" when I never even heard of him. Plus he's a little too soft-spoken for this character.

I don't care much for the performance of the girlfriend, but really like Bill, Wendy and especially Kemper.

Looking forward to seeing BTK. I read a really good and thorough book about the case - really interesting.
Old 12-13-17, 12:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Mindhunter (Netflix) -- Season 1 -- S: Groff, McCallany, Torv; EP: Fincher, Theron

Just burned through this. Excellent! I agree Kemper turned out to be the star. Looking forward to S2 unless Gacy makes an appearance. Grew up around the time & place it happened. Still remember driving pass his house. Creeps me out to this day.
Old 12-13-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have this ready to watch and looking forward to it. I remember seeing the original interviews with Kemper and that guy was scary and cut an imposing figure. Quintessential Serial Killer. Highly Intelligent and without any emotion what so ever.
Old 12-13-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

So I finished it. Wasn't thrilled with the way it ended. What if we only got one season? I originally thought it would be self contained. Good to hear that it is picked up for season 2.
Old 12-19-17, 10:17 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I finished this last week. Overall, I thought it was decent, but unlike most I thought the acting issues persisted throughout the season. It just wasn't very polished - reminded me of the first season of Bosch. Randomly, some lines felt rushed and delivered out of tone. Noticed it with both Groff and McCallany.

Regardless, it was a promising first season and am glad it was renewed. I'll be back for more.
Old 12-22-17, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Mindhunter (Netflix) -- Season 1 -- S: Groff, McCallany, Torv; EP: Fincher, Thero

Excellent show. Watched interview with the real Kemper (deeply disturbing) and the actor playing him completely nailed it. I agree with a previous poster that says its like a prequel to Criminal Minds but much better. Not 100% sure what the cat thing is other than a symbolic thing representing going back to these killers over and over will just lead to corruption and decay of yourself.
Old 02-11-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Mindhunter (Netflix) -- Season 1 -- S: Groff, McCallany, Torv; EP: Fincher, Thero

Just finished this one, watched over the past two months, didn't care for the lead, but liked the rest of the cast a lot. Had to google the ending though I wasn't sure who that guy was. Glad it's been renewed.
Old 02-11-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was sooo goood. Probably my favorite recent show. I thought the acting was great—especially Cameron Britton as Ed Kemper. Looking forward to season two.
Old 02-12-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Just finished this as well. Worked through it over about three weeks. Really enjoyed it. Found it very interesting and thoroughly involving. Will be happy to return for a second season.

Hard not to compare it to Assassination of Versace as I'm watching that as well and both dwell on the psychology of the serial killer. This one does it so much better.
Old 02-12-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I thought this was sooo goood. Probably my favorite recent show. I thought the acting was great—especially Cameron Britton as Ed Kemper. Looking forward to season two.
Have you seen videos of the real Kemper? Other than the fact that Britton is notably heavier, he freaking nailed the performance.

I finally found some time to start this — I ended up hooked and burned through it in two days. Can’t wait for Season 2 to drop.
Old 02-12-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

By far, my favorite line of Alan Sepinwall's review of Season One :

. The subject matter is more of a binge stumbling block than the pacing, which is mostly assured once you get past the first hour. One notable exception: many episodes open with brief glimpses of Dennis Rader, the Kansas man who will become known as the BTK Killer. He’ll presumably be Ford and Tench’s target in a second season, but his scenes here play like teases without the substance so much of the rest of Mindhunter has; after a while, I began to wish Netflix had a “Skip BTK” option to go along with “Skip Intro.”
Old 03-06-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

just finished the season. looking forward to the second one!
Old 05-04-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished up the season.
Excellent series.

I loved how the characters grow (change) over time, especially in the final couple of episodes with Holden.
The scenes with Kemper are some of the most disturbing I have ever seen on-screen...NOT for the faint-hearted.
So were the ones with Brudos (full disclosure: he committed his crimes only a few miles from my house).

Visually, it reminded me of Fincher's Zodiac (a damn fine movie).
The HDR brings an extra amount of creepiness.
It was also great to see Fincher directed 4 episodes as well.

Can't WAIT for S2.
Old 09-22-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Mindhunter (Netflix) -- Season 1 -- S: Groff, McCallany, Torv; EP: Fincher, Theron

I’m late to the party but I binged this over the past 3 weekends. Really enjoyed much more than I expected. I like that the show keeps some running humor among Holden and Bill as the show would be too serious without it and tough to watch.

I enjoy shows like this cause it forces you to choose if the characters are right or wrong in their decisions. I actually agree with Holden’s ‘out of the box’ questions as that is the only way to get these guys to talk. The actor who plays Bill is very underrated. Looking forward to binging Season 2 in the next few weeks!