TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fuller House (Netflix) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Fuller House (Netflix) - Series Thread

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Can we discuss it at this year's convention?
Only if you pick me up at the airport.
Old 03-01-16, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Did anyone catch the wine DJ and Steve were drinking in episode 12? It's Bure wine, from the winery Candace and her husband own.

Last edited by The Infidel; 03-01-16 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 11:41 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I watched 9 episodes this past weekend. We love the show. I don't get the hate it is getting. Fuller House is being executed perfectly. I am quite shocked at how much i like it.
Old 03-01-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm half way through the season. This is about what I expected. The cheese is there but at times it's more "bad CBS comedy" cheese rather than "90's nostalgia" cheese. It's easily digestible entertainment and entertaining enough for me to finish the run and check in next season. If this were a week to week thing I don't think I would have kept up with it after the first 2 or 3 episodes.
In my opinion it still has the 90s TGIF style family sitcom cheese factor to it but it also tries to be a tad more edgy too. I mean in the original you wouldn't have had any real sex jokes that I can think of and the way Stephanie (and to some extent DJ) dress is a bit more risqué. Obviously in the original series they were younger so that wasn't played up as much but in some ways I still find that aspect a bit odd to get used to. Also the new series is a lot more self aware with making jokes about the Olsens and seemingly just in general some of the jokes are aimed at the show itself. It works for me though.
Old 03-01-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Does this show have a laugh track?
Old 03-01-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Does this show have a laugh track?
Recorded live in front of a studio audience.
Old 03-01-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Recorded live in front of a studio audience.
And with a laugh track. I don't know of any multi-camera sitcom filmed in front of a studio audience that doesn't have laugh track enhancement. Nobody in their right mind would laugh that often in real life.
Old 03-01-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a big problem with laugh tracks like so many people seem to. I watched a bunch of classic sitcoms growing up so am just sort of used to them. I agree they don't work for all comedy shows but I think in this case I think it fits.
Old 03-02-16, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
In my opinion it still has the 90s TGIF style family sitcom cheese factor to it but it also tries to be a tad more edgy too. I mean in the original you wouldn't have had any real sex jokes that I can think of and the way Stephanie (and to some extent DJ) dress is a bit more risqué. Obviously in the original series they were younger so that wasn't played up as much but in some ways I still find that aspect a bit odd to get used to. Also the new series is a lot more self aware with making jokes about the Olsens and seemingly just in general some of the jokes are aimed at the show itself. It works for me though.
The humor is very much like a similar show called Melissa and Joey. That was an ABC Family show that also tried to capture 90's nostalgia by having it star Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence. It had the cheese humor you're used to from the 90's shows that made the stars famous with a dab of risque humor that works for the older crowd.

I watched a few more episodes of Fuller House last night and I think it definitely picks up. The chemistry with the kids is much better in the later episodes, though I do find Max to be more annoying than funny. I like the random flashbacks to the original show too.

I've never had a big problem with laugh tracks like so many people seem to. I watched a bunch of classic sitcoms growing up so am just sort of used to them. I agree they don't work for all comedy shows but I think in this case I think it fits.
The idea of the laugh track is definitely antiquated. Which is why it works for this show. The thing with laugh tracks is that if the show sucks, it can get grating. But if it's good, it doesn't matter. Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends and Married with Children all had laugh tracks. I never heard anyone say they didn't like those shows because of laugh tracks and if they did, they're missing out on some of the best sitcoms ever.
Old 03-02-16, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The idea of the laugh track is definitely antiquated. Which is why it works for this show. The thing with laugh tracks is that if the show sucks, it can get grating. But if it's good, it doesn't matter. Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends and Married with Children all had laugh tracks. I never heard anyone say they didn't like those shows because of laugh tracks and if they did, they're missing out on some of the best sitcoms ever.
I thought Cheers was filmed before a live studio audience. Sure, there's a big sign that tells the audience when to laugh, but it still sounded genuine.
Old 03-02-16, 08:23 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Fuller House Renewed for Season 2 http://tvline.com/2016/03/02/fuller-...son-2-netflix/
Old 03-02-16, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Dancing with the Stars seems to be the place where former stars attempt a comeback / promotion for possible tv series return.

Off top of my head:
Urkel - Family Matters
Carlton - Fresh Prince
DJ - Full House
Winnie - Wonder Years
AC - Saved by the Bell
Mitch - Baywatch

I'm sure there were more.
And now Jodie Sweetin: http://www.eonline.com/news/745227/j...her-partner-is
Old 03-02-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm sure it'll be a year or so off before the next season is out but I'm glad it'll be back. I still need to watch the last four episodes of the first season.
Old 03-02-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Cool. I'm game for more. As I said, I've been enjoying it.

The Fuller House Facebook page is a funny read. Some really uptight prudes complaining how the show is too risque for their families/kids.
Old 03-02-16, 09:31 AM

I'm sure it'll be a year or so off before the next season is out but I'm glad it'll be back. I still need to watch the last four episodes of the first season.
Probably. But, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if another batch of 13 episodes made it out before year end.
Old 03-02-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk God

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if another batch of 13 episodes made it out before year end.
Yeah 13 30-minute episodes isn't too hard to crank out. They could easily go into the writer's room this Spring/early Summer, shoot all 13 this summer in a few months and have them ready by the end of the year. It really depends though on how Netflix wants to schedule their content.

I heard a 30 minute comedy takes less than 1 week to film 1 episode.
Old 03-02-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I thought Cheers was filmed before a live studio audience. Sure, there's a big sign that tells the audience when to laugh, but it still sounded genuine.
Every sitcom that has ever been filmed before a studio audience has had the laughter sweetened in post production.
Old 03-02-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Every sitcom that has ever been filmed before a studio audience has had the laughter sweetened in post production.

I remember reading somewhere in the 1990's that some shows dubbed in portions of the laugh track from "I Love Lucy" into modern sitcoms because they said that that showhad the mostgenuine laughs from the audience and it sounded better than what the recorded in the studio.
Old 03-02-16, 09:51 AM

Yeah 13 30-minute episodes isn't too hard to crank out. They could easily go into the writer's room this Spring/early Summer, shoot all 13 this summer in a few months and have them ready by the end of the year. It really depends though on how Netflix wants to schedule their content.

Yup. They started filming in July and wrapped in November.
Old 03-02-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably. But, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if another batch of 13 episodes made it out before year end.
Yeah. I just assumed that Netflix might keep it to a scheduled time each year like they have for their other shows.
Old 03-02-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Only 1 day for the actual recording in front of the audience.

Monday: script table read
Tues-Thurs: rehearsals, wardrobe/hair/makeup prep, set building
Friday: record show in front of audience
Old 03-03-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm through 10 episodes so far, and this show is surprising me on how funny it is.

Episode 9 (the mystery roses) and Episode 10 (Giants!!!!!!) were fantastic.

They must have filmed the Giants episode around Sept 30 of last year, which was Full House night at the Giants game.
Old 03-03-16, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Finished it. I laughed out loud at least once per episode. I'll be in for season 2. Was anyone else rooting for Fernerlina?
Old 03-03-16, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I'm through 10 episodes so far, and this show is surprising me on how funny it is.

Episode 9 (the mystery roses) and Episode 10 (Giants!!!!!!) were fantastic.

They must have filmed the Giants episode around Sept 30 of last year, which was Full House night at the Giants game.
Using Hunter Pence there was perfect. The guy is hilarious and he has some serious crazy eyes.
Old 03-06-16, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
And with a laugh track. I don't know of any multi-camera sitcom filmed in front of a studio audience that doesn't have laugh track enhancement. Nobody in their right mind would laugh that often in real life.

You, sir, have apparently never seen an interview with a little known actor named Tom Cruise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.