DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Wynonna Earp (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630931-wynonna-earp-syfy-series-discussion-thread.html)

pelenor 02-17-16 06:21 PM

Wynonna Earp (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....xMg@@._V1_.jpg

Wynonna Earp follows Wyatt Earp's great granddaughter as she battles demons and other creatures. With her unique abilities, and a posse of dysfunctional allies, she's the only thing that can bring the paranormal to justice.

Saw the trailer during "Bitten" and it looked interesting. At first I thought it was the show with the female Van Helsing but obviously not.

Maybe she got the Colt from the winchester boys on Supernatural. I'll still watch it. I'm a sap for shows like this.

Strapped4Cash 02-17-16 07:21 PM

Re: Wynonna Earp...Demon Hunter on Scyfy

I'll try it too. It's based on the comic book originally published in 1996, so maybe Supernatural got it from her?

DJariya 03-30-16 04:17 AM

re: Wynonna Earp (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

FYI

Premieres this Friday on SyFy at 10pm ET

Just noticed the listing today. Looks like this is another Canadian import like Dark Matter and Killjoys.

Here's the description

SEVEN24 Films and IDW Entertainment announced today that Syfy has acquired the U.S. rights to Wynonna Earp, a live action television series based on the IDW Publishing comic created by Beau Smith. Emily Andras (Lost Girl, Killjoys) developed the series for television and will serve as Executive Producer and Showrunner. With an initial order of 13 one-hour episodes, Wynonna Earp is a fast-paced, contemporary thriller that follows Wyatt Earp's great granddaughter as she battles demons and other supernatural beings. Wynonna is a witty and wild modern day gunslinger, using her unique abilities and a dysfunctional posse of allies to bring the paranormal to justice. The series is scheduled to premiere in April 2016.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Melanie Scrofano as Wynonna Earp
· Shamier Anderson as Agent Dolls
· Tim Rozon as Doc Holliday

CREW INFORMATION:
· Beau Smith as BOOK
· Emily Andras as CRTR/EP
· Jordy Randall as EP
· Tom Cox as EP

GENRE(S):
· based on a comic book
· drama

STUDIO INFORMATION:
· IDW Entertainment
· SEVEN24 Films

Here's a promotional piece talking about the show

PhantomStranger 03-30-16 01:48 PM

I'll give it a shot but Syfy hasn't been pushing it that much from what I've seen. I keep seeing promos for a show called Hunters more than this Wynonna Earp.

majorjoe23 03-30-16 04:55 PM

Genre is listed as "Based on a comic book"

So it's the same genre as Blue is the Warmest Color and X-Men.

Strapped4Cash 03-30-16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12764440)
I'll give it a shot but Syfy hasn't been pushing it that much from what I've seen. I keep seeing promos for a show called Hunters more than this Wynonna Earp.

I've been seeing the ads for this and Hunters in about equal amounts. Maybe they air during different shows though? I've been watching Magicians, Lost Girl & Bitten.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12764687)
Genre is listed as "Based on a comic book"

So it's the same genre as Blue is the Warmest Color and X-Men.

And 300, From Hell, Ghost World, History of Violence, Losers, The Mask, Men in Black, Red, Road to Perdition, Rocketeer, Scott Pilgrim, Sin City, Stardust, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Wanted, Whiteout, etc.

Seen one seen 'em all. Yup.

PhantomStranger 03-31-16 12:36 AM

When someone says comic book, I immediately think of superheroes. It gets my goat when they call something like Men In Black a comic book movie. Comic books just happened to be the medium in which the story and characters were first published, but I think "comic book" movies should strictly refer to superhero-related entertainment.

Strapped4Cash 03-31-16 01:07 PM

When someone says comic book I immediately think of all the genres, and also guess at whether or not the speaker is only speaking of super-heroes. Which I find annoying, in the same way that I would someone speaking of "TV", but who only means Network TV, would be.

I'd love to see everyone start saying "super-hero" movies and realize that comics are a big medium filled with lots of categories and room for them all.

Lifepawn 04-16-16 11:52 AM

Gave it two episodes. Complete garbage. Awful writing, awful acting, awful effects, etc.

PhantomStranger 04-16-16 01:42 PM

I haven't seen much to like in the first three episodes. The pilot was pretty bad, though the following episodes have been merely forgettable. The bad guys are cartoonishly over the top.

Strapped4Cash 04-16-16 01:56 PM

I've been wondering if it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I especially get that vibe from the main actress portraying Wynonna.

randian 06-26-16 03:17 AM

I want to like this show but it's hilariously bad. Can I presume it's headed to the chopping block like Hunters is?

Kdogg 06-26-16 03:09 PM

I'm not saying the show was good but I did find myself entertained. I found almost the entire cast likable which made up for the mediocrity. The show did its best to build a mythology and a enjoyed the campiness of the series.

PhantomStranger 06-28-16 02:21 PM

It was weirdly positioned as a modern Western-demon hybrid show. I think it could have worked if the show was more serious but a lot of it was very campy.

Here's a tip to the producers for their next show. If you are going to make light-hearted genre fare, you have to cast drop-dead gorgeous lead actresses.

randian 06-28-16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12837499)
Here's a tip to the producers for their next show. If you are going to make light-hearted genre fare, you have to cast drop-dead gorgeous lead actresses.

The lead on this show is no Kate Beckinsale but she's hardly bothersome to the eyes.

randian 07-03-16 02:15 AM

One odd thing about the finale: Peacemaker glowed blue when Wynonna shot Willa, but it didn't glow at all when she almost shot that guy in an earlier episode. Of course it normally glows gold when it shoots demons, so something is definitely afoot.

DJariya 07-23-16 06:55 PM

Renewed for a 2nd season by SyFy: http://deadline.com/2016/07/wynonna-...on-1201791669/

If you were one of those who skipped this because you didn't have time to watch or wrote it off right away, the entire season is available on demand or via the SyFy app. The episodes don't expire until December.

Inhumans99 07-25-16 12:43 PM

The renewal is welcome news as I really enjoyed the heck out of this show. Even if the 2nd season turns out to be the last, 10 more episodes to enjoy is better than none.

Kdogg 07-25-16 07:38 PM

Wow, this is one of the more surprising renewals I can remember considering the ratings and lack of buzz. For as much as we criticize SyFy they tend to give there shows the benefit of the doubt. It must be a cheap show to produce. Glad to see it will be back.

leeta 07-29-16 09:17 PM

Happy to hear Wynonna Earp was renewed. It's always good for a laugh... love the campiness.

Axeramm 08-01-16 06:30 PM

for a while I thought the main actress on this was also the main actress on Van Helsing. I saw the first episode of that after Sharknado 4

randian 05-30-17 10:12 AM

New episodes coming up next week! Will there be a real series thread for this, or is this one it?

dex14 05-31-17 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by randian (Post 13084218)
New episodes coming up next week! Will there be a real series thread for this, or is this one it?

This is it.

No much of a discussion show.

dex14 06-08-17 07:01 AM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....5,1000_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZwU5yIVPCbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Based on the IDW Publishing comic book created by Beau Smith, WYNONNA EARP follows the life of famous lawman Wyatt Earp's demon-fighting great-great-granddaughter Wynonna (Melanie Scrofano), who inherited Wyatt's mythic abilities. In Season 2, Wynonna and the gang must face a whole new level of evil when more paranormal beings enter the Ghost Triangle.

FRIDAY, JUNE 9

WYNONNA EARP "Steel Bars And Stone Walls" - 10/9c *SEASON PREMIERE*

The gun wielding, whiskey drinking, quip slinging heroine returns to raise a little hell - and rid her home of the supernatural evils that plague it. But this time, she's not just facing resurrected demon outlaws; there are monsters the likes of which Wynonna never imagined - and some of them she'll have to face sober! Seven astonishing cliffhangers; Forty-two blistering minutes to resolve 'em. The consequences of Waverly's actions affect the whole team.

phantom_azazel 06-09-17 03:10 AM

Re: Wynonna Earp (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

glad this is finally back

wish van helsing was too