Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Old 06-02-18, 12:45 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,287
Received 490 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The takeaway from this is most here seem to think it is OK to call some one a C@@t and are glad she did it. DVDtalk never fails to amaze. Nice.
Why wouldn't it be ok?
Old 06-02-18, 04:16 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,643
Received 624 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by kidindy
I just double checked the recording my DVR did of the first airing of the show and it WAS bleeped out.
So the only people that actually heard her say it was the studio audience, everyone else in inferring, and getting offended by their inference.

Originally Posted by kidindy
That being said, I'm pretty sure that it is not required to censor language on "cable" stations now. AHS Cult used the C word multiple time as well as the F word.
the FCC has never regulated content on cable channels, whether language, sex/nudity, violence, etc. The only thing that separates TBS from HBO is that TBS is beholden to advertisers, and it's the advertisers that object to strong content. Over time that's relaxed a bit.
Old 06-02-18, 05:45 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,970
Likes: 0
Received 237 Likes on 170 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
I just don't understand the obsession with that word. It's interchangable with Dick or Asshole and is used as such abroad, but for some reason we're obsessed with it being substantially worse here. Growing up it wasn't used much but it never stood out.

It was unnecessary, but I don't get the hoopla.
Dick, asshole and **** are not interchangeable.
A dick has formal authority over you. Parent, boss, cop, judge, commanding officer, etc.
An asshole is just some loser trying to be a dick you can tell to fuck off.
**** is way overused, mistakenly. It describes a specific vile type of person. Hence the term, "evil ****". They are rare in real life but movies and tv are riddled with them. Especially old film noirs. The type of female character the audience cheers when they get theirs. Well known examples are Sherrie Palmer on 24 or Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.
Example of a real life **** would be a woman who has her husband/boyfriend killed. Tokyo Rose was a ****. ****s have zero redeeming value. No one cares if they're called a **** because they are so despised.

Last edited by rw2516; 06-02-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 07:43 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,264
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
So the only people that actually heard her say it was the studio audience, everyone else in inferring, and getting offended by their inference.
I think the version that was on youtube (& twitter) was uncut. I didn't get to see / hear it but her other bits are always uncensored on youtube
Old 06-02-18, 10:50 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26,263
Received 2,897 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Sam Bee’s show has been ****y itself. I think her commentary is too acidic and confrontational. It goes beyond what I see on The Daily Show or Bill Maher. There are some good bits here and there. But that’s about it.
I agree (although I can’t figure out what word you have censored there). I agree with roughly 60 - 70% of Bee’s political beliefs but she comes off as nothing more than an angry liberal yelling her dialogue at the audience. It’s offputting and, IMO, makes a lot of her points seem like nothing more than angry rants.

A lot of times her delivery is so confrontational that I end up siding against her when I might otherwise be pursuaded to agree.
Old 06-02-18, 10:57 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 22,665
Received 526 Likes on 384 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I agree (although I canít figure out what word you have censored there). I agree with roughly 60 - 70% of Beeís political beliefs but she comes off as nothing more than an angry liberal yelling her dialogue at the audience. Itís offputting and, IMO, makes a lot of her points seem like nothing more than angry rants.

Her delivery is so confrontational that I end up siding against her.
this is why I donít watch.
I donít disagree with what she says just the way she presents herself and the show. Standing and leaning at the camera.
Her body language is very angry. Very negative.

This is what I like about JimJefferies show.
Essentially the same opinions but he presents in a more relaxed less confrontational manner.
He even leans back in his chair while talking quite often.
Plus he seems like he is enjoying the show. Bee seems far from appearing to enjoy hers.
Old 06-02-18, 11:06 PM
  #57  
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,798
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by whotony
this is why I donít watch.
I donít disagree with what she says just the way she presents herself and the show. Standing and leaning at the camera.
Her body language is very angry. Very negative.

This is what I like about JimJefferies show.
Essentially the same opinions but he presents in a more relaxed less confrontational manner.
He even leans back in his chair while talking quite often.
Plus he seems like he is enjoying the show. Bee seems far from appearing to enjoy hers.
Yeah. Women should be nice and quiet.
Old 06-02-18, 11:42 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,643
Received 624 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I agree (although I canít figure out what word you have censored there). I agree with roughly 60 - 70% of Beeís political beliefs but she comes off as nothing more than an angry liberal yelling her dialogue at the audience. Itís offputting and, IMO, makes a lot of her points seem like nothing more than angry rants.

A lot of times her delivery is so confrontational that I end up siding against her when I might otherwise be pursuaded to agree.
If her delivery makes you "end up " siding against her point, odds are you also started out against her point.

Nobody says, "well I was pro-choice, but her latest segment about Planned Parenthood has made more for restricting women's rights."

I feel like when she started the show, she was a lot more easy going and jokey, but in the past year-and-a-half she's leaned into the ranting more. Gee, what happened about a year and a half ago....

Also, her rants get her audience applause, and likely gets her ratings, so there are obviously some people that like her current delivery.
Old 06-03-18, 12:25 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 22,665
Received 526 Likes on 384 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Yeah. Women should be nice and quiet.
Thatís what you got out of this eh. Okay.
Old 06-03-18, 12:41 AM
  #60  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,287
Received 490 Likes on 362 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by whotony
this is why I donít watch.
I donít disagree with what she says just the way she presents herself and the show. Standing and leaning at the camera.
Her body language is very angry. Very negative.

This is what I like about JimJefferies show.
Essentially the same opinions but he presents in a more relaxed less confrontational manner.
He even leans back in his chair while talking quite often.
Plus he seems like he is enjoying the show. Bee seems far from appearing to enjoy hers.
I can't imagine why a woman would talk about our current administration in a more confrontational manner than a white man.
Old 06-03-18, 08:03 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: NW Missouri
Posts: 555
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by OldDude
Well, selected POTUSes and family. Had she said it about Chelsea Clinton or the Obama daughters you would have never seen her again on TV. But conservatives and Trump are fair game. Full Hypocrisy.
That statement is complete BS, neither the Clinton's or Obama's would have even acknowledged her statement.
Old 06-03-18, 08:47 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26,263
Received 2,897 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
If her delivery makes you "end up " siding against her point, odds are you also started out against her point.

Nobody says, "well I was pro-choice, but her latest segment about Planned Parenthood has made more for restricting women's rights."

I feel like when she started the show, she was a lot more easy going and jokey, but in the past year-and-a-half she's leaned into the ranting more. Gee, what happened about a year and a half ago....

Also, her rants get her audience applause, and likely gets her ratings, so there are obviously some people that like her current delivery.
Obviously listening to her doesn’t spontaneously change my mind about those large issues but when she sends her team out in the streets screaming at everyone and apologizing for ALL of America about Trump or when she’s ranting about how stupid Trump supporters are by picking out the most stereotypical rednecks at his rallies and making then look stupid on national television it rubs me the wrong way. I’m not saying I don’t agree with the viewpoint she’s taking but the way she goes about making her point is totally off putting.

Do I think a lot of those Trump supporters at his rallies are ignorant? Yeah, but I also don’t see the benefits of displaying the most stereotypical, obnoxious ones on national tv. It doesn’t help solve anything. I have the same issue when conservatives go to anti-gun rallies and pick out only the people uneducated about guns and ask them questions they stumble on.

I never said the nobody likes her. She has a fan base that attends her shows and ravenously eats up her angry rants (I get it, liberals are mad right now) but I can only speak for myself as to why I don’t care for her show anymore.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-03-18 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-03-18, 10:48 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,643
Received 624 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Iím not saying I donít agree with the viewpoint sheís taking...
That's literally what you said though:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
A lot of times her delivery is so confrontational that I end up siding against her when I might otherwise be pursuaded to agree.
"Siding against her" means you have an opposing viewpoint, especially since you stated you'd "otherwise" agree with her.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Do I think a lot of those Trump supporters at his rallies are ignorant? Yeah, but I also donít see the benefits of displaying the most stereotypical, obnoxious ones on national tv. It doesnít help solve anything.
Do you seriously think they have to cherry-pick at a Trump rally? Anyway, it does illustrate the reality that these people really do exist, which may be easy to forget if you live on the coasts. Anyway, the Daily Show has been mocking people at conventions and rallies for decades. It's just normally only every 4 years ago, because normal presidents don't still hold rallies for themselves a year and a half into their presidency.

And the "apology tour" didn't aim to speak for all Americans, but it did:
  1. Show those countries that at least some Americans don't agree with Trump. Even as the president, he doesn't speak for all of us.
  2. Highlighted the disparity of Trump's comments and the on-the-ground reality of the countries and their people.
  3. Illustrated that Trump is insulting foreign countries at a rate so fast it's hard to even just keep up with apologies.
Old 06-03-18, 11:38 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,216
Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Why wouldn't it be ok?
Are you really that big of a m**** that you need that answered?

DVDtalk censors the word **** so there must be a reason.
Old 06-03-18, 12:31 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26,263
Received 2,897 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That's literally what you said though:

"Siding against her" means you have an opposing viewpoint, especially since you stated you'd "otherwise" agree with her.
Maybe I didn’t phrase it very well. “Siding against her” was meant more as “I may agree with what she’s saying but not the way she’s saying it”. Which turns into me rolling my eyes.


Originally Posted by Jay G.
Do you seriously think they have to cherry-pick at a Trump rally? Anyway, it does illustrate the reality that these people really do exist, which may be easy to forget if you live on the coasts. Anyway, the Daily Show has been mocking people at conventions and rallies for decades. It's just normally only every 4 years ago, because normal presidents don't still hold rallies for themselves a year and a half into their presidency.
I absolutely think they cherry pick at those rallies. They’re looking for the people who will give them the best ignorant sound bite. Granted it’s fairly easy pickings (and probably easier and easier as normal people who voted for Trump start to realize he’s a buffoon and distance themselves from him rallies) but they still cherry pick. And as I stated earlier conservatives do the same thing.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
And the "apology tour" didn't aim to speak for all Americans, but it did:
  1. Show those countries that at least some Americans don't agree with Trump. Even as the president, he doesn't speak for all of us.
  2. Highlighted the disparity of Trump's comments and the on-the-ground reality of the countries and their people.
  3. Illustrated that Trump is insulting foreign countries at a rate so fast it's hard to even just keep up with apologies.
Over half the country didn’t vote for Trump, myself included. I don’t need Samantha Bee’s team running around the world apologizing for me. If she wants to apologize for herself and other members of the media for not taking Trump seriously and/or giving him more attention that other candidates during the early days of the election which had a direct affect on him being nominated and ultimately winning the election, then by all means, apologize.
Old 06-03-18, 03:37 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,116
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by OldDude
Well, selected POTUSes and family. Had she said it about Chelsea Clinton or the Obama daughters you would have never seen her again on TV. But conservatives and Trump are fair game. Full Hypocrisy.
Except Chelsea and the Obama girls were kids while their dads were President and obviously stayed out of politics.

Ivanka has taken an active role in the White House and has therefore opened herself up to the same criticism that every politician has to deal with.

There's a huge difference between the two.
Old 06-03-18, 03:58 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 358
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

She is more than an active role - she is an employee.
Old 06-03-18, 06:01 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
So the only people that actually heard her say it was the studio audience, everyone else in inferring, and getting offended by their inference.


the FCC has never regulated content on cable channels, whether language, sex/nudity, violence, etc. The only thing that separates TBS from HBO is that TBS is beholden to advertisers, and it's the advertisers that object to strong content. Over time that's relaxed a bit.
Good points.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I agree (although I canít figure out what word you have censored there). I agree with roughly 60 - 70% of Beeís political beliefs but she comes off as nothing more than an angry liberal yelling her dialogue at the audience. Itís offputting and, IMO, makes a lot of her points seem like nothing more than angry rants.
I hear ya.
Sometimes her style bugs me too.

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Do you seriously think they have to cherry-pick at a Trump rally? Anyway, it does illustrate the reality that these people really do exist, which may be easy to forget if you live on the coasts. Anyway, the Daily Show has been mocking people at conventions and rallies for decades.
Historically, these guy-on-the-street interviews are always cherry picked...has been since the invention of the printing press.
It's just normally only every 4 years ago, because normal presidents don't still hold rallies for themselves a year and a half into their presidency.
Hell, the guy was doing it just a couple of months into his term.
He loves his applause.
Old 06-03-18, 10:36 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,047
Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

She has said (unt many, many times on her show. In fact, last year a Trumpian social-media detractor called her a "thunder(unt", and Bee "took possession" of the slur by selling t-shirts with the insult emblazoned on them.

I think she probably should curb the excessively salty language, but if she's going to use such an obscene word (possibly the worst in the English language) then she shouldn't apologize. She said it and she meant to say it. She shouldn't get all mealy-mouthed to save her ass. Flout like a butterfly, sting like a Bee.
Old 06-04-18, 02:40 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by rw2516
Dick, asshole and **** are not interchangeable.
A dick has formal authority over you. Parent, boss, cop, judge, commanding officer, etc.
An asshole is just some loser trying to be a dick you can tell to fuck off.
**** is way overused, mistakenly. It describes a specific vile type of person. Hence the term, "evil ****". They are rare in real life but movies and tv are riddled with them. Especially old film noirs. The type of female character the audience cheers when they get theirs. Well known examples are Sherrie Palmer on 24 or Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.
Example of a real life **** would be a woman who has her husband/boyfriend killed. Tokyo Rose was a ****. ****s have zero redeeming value. No one cares if they're called a **** because they are so despised.
To the best of my knowledge, this isn't what earned c*** a place on the no-no list. Rather, it's that certain men would use c*** as a way to denigrate women, reducing them to having little value to society other than their vagina. I get the usage you're referring to, but it's parallel to what earned c*** a spot on the no-no list.

The problem with most such pejorative words is they're used as a blanket to denigrate a whole class of people.

Chris Rock once did a comedy routine about how some black people _are_ n-words in his book. While I totally understood where he was coming from, I also know that the people most likely to use the word weren't doing in-depth personality studies and coming to a conclusion.

I think there's a similar concern for most people who would use c***. As for Samantha's usage, it's obvious to me (though I don't watch her show) that she didn't mean to denigrate all females, but one specific female. I believe her apology acknowledges there were better ways to do so.
Old 06-07-18, 06:19 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,047
Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Last night, Bee did the old apologies-but-not-really deal, to save her job. Too bad. Iwanker deserves to be vilified.
Old 05-15-19, 02:57 PM
  #72  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44,099
Likes: 0
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,883 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

‘Full Frontal’s Amy Hoggart To Front New Show For TBS
https://deadline.com/2019/05/full-fr...ms-1202615246/
Old 05-15-19, 08:22 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,047
Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

She's the Brit, innit? I like her.
Old 07-28-22, 03:12 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 7,938
Received 387 Likes on 259 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Cancelled by TBS, as basic cable continues to exit the original content business.

Love this parting tweet:
Old 07-28-22, 11:11 AM
  #75  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 31,780
Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS) -- Series Discussion Thread

Did anyone really watch this past season 2 or 3? I forgot it even existed

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.