DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630686-people-v-o-j-simpson-american-crime-story-fx-series-thread-2-2-16-a.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 02-02-16 04:09 AM

Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

I know it sounds morbid but will they show the murders?

Osiris3657 02-02-16 06:15 AM

Re: The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story (FX) -- Series Thread -- 2/2/16

The DVR is ready

Deftones 02-02-16 07:54 AM

I am not terribly interested in the subject matter, but the amount of talent involved is going to make me watch.

mphtrilogy 02-02-16 08:22 AM

reviews have been great, I didnt think I was going to watch, but I am going to tune in now

flashburn 02-02-16 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12712895)
reviews have been great, I didnt think I was going to watch, but I am going to tune in now

I love how when it was announced everyone here was quick to say "No way I'm wasting my time watching this! I watched the trial on TV!".

DWilson 02-02-16 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12712831)
I know it sounds morbid but will they show the murders?

If I had to guess it will be handled like most TV procedurals: The murders will be initially shown from the POV of the murderer in an abstract way, and probably shown more realistically during the trial or trial prep as portrayals of what might have happened.

ericmylad 02-02-16 01:57 PM

Be sure to pad the DVR tonight. Episode is scheduled for 80 minutes. As a Directv subscriber, I've always had issues with the DVR cutting off extra minutes if the show is over 60 minutes long. This only seems to happen to shows on FX for some reason.

Red Dog 02-02-16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12712882)
I am not terribly interested in the subject matter, but the amount of talent involved is going to make me watch.

Can't wait to see Vance as Johnnie.

HN 02-02-16 04:32 PM

so there's "american crime" and "american crime story"? which one should i be watching? or both?

RichC2 02-02-16 05:42 PM

American Crime is a little too self important to me (it's by the scribe of 12 Years a Slave), American Crime Story is the American Horror Story / Glee crew doing real life stories -- the creators are the guys that wrote Ed Wood.

I'll be disappointed if there is a lack of kinky sex on American Crime Story.

clckworang 02-02-16 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ericmylad (Post 12713249)
Be sure to pad the DVR tonight. Episode is scheduled for 80 minutes. As a Directv subscriber, I've always had issues with the DVR cutting off extra minutes if the show is over 60 minutes long. This only seems to happen to shows on FX for some reason.

I also have Direct and rarely had any problems until the most recent season of American Horror Story. The weird thing is that the recording would say it was 1 hour and 15 minutes, for instance, but would stop at 1 hour and 5 minutes. After this happened three times, I gave up and padded the series 30 minutes. No problem after that.

Deftones 02-02-16 06:40 PM

It is always FX that screws up DTV recordings. Happened to me with SOA frequently.

JeffTheAlpaca 02-02-16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12713488)
It is always FX that screws up DTV recordings. Happened to me with SOA frequently.

"The program was not recorded because a programming update was not received in time"

Jadzia 02-02-16 10:30 PM

I really enjoyed this. All the foreshadowing was funny, with nods to the Kardashian girls and dialogue like "sometimes money is the only way to get justice" and "the public is going to think we're idiots".

When OJ held the gun to his head it made me wonder how differently things would have turned out if he had just offed himself then. I always thought that trial really ruined/altered a lot of people's lives.

Michael T Hudson 02-02-16 10:54 PM

I thought it was really good as well.

mhg83 02-02-16 10:59 PM

I liked it. I read the book recently but was in grade school when the trial occurred. In for the whole season.

MrX 02-02-16 11:15 PM

I enjoyed it as well.

Garrity playing Mark Fuhrman cracked me up.

Not sure about Travolta, but Vance and Paulson look to be knocking it out of the park.

Brown looks and sounds like Darden.

Jadzia 02-02-16 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 12713663)
Not sure about Travolta, but Vance and Paulson look to be knocking it out of the park.

Every time Travolta spoke, I thought he was doing his drag character in Hairspray. He seemed to be doing the same accent.

DJariya 02-03-16 01:40 AM

Really liked the premiere. Found it quite riveting. Paulson was awesome as Marcia Clark. Vance and Brown absolutely nailed Cochran and Darden.

The weakest performance IMO was Travolta as Shapiro. He seemed more like an SNL caricature.

Thought Cuba Gooding did a good job portraying O.J. Although he doesn't look like him or sound like him, I found his performance believable just playing the character. I liked seeing the smug and arrogant douchebag who we didn't see 20+ years ago.

:lol: at the cliffhanger with the White Ford Bronco.

DJariya 02-03-16 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 12713639)
I always thought that trial really ruined/altered a lot of people's lives.

It devastated Marcia Clark and Chris Darden. I believe both of them quit practicing law after that trial.

Here's a good interview with Clark. She watched the 1st episode and said it was like re-living a nightmare.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/02...n-marcia-clark

Throwing Copper 02-03-16 04:14 AM

I first found out about this while seeing all the promo clips during the most recent season of Fargo. It did not disappoint.

dex14 02-03-16 06:50 AM

Yea... Travolta doesn't sound anything like Bob Shapiro:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OR_HHAMqpo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Osiris3657 02-03-16 07:51 AM

Good stuff. Loved seeing Garrity from Rescue Me, glad that actor is still getting work.

Cuba's high pitch didn't work for me. I bet when the real OJ was yelling at everyone it was intimidating. Cuba sounds like a whiny little girl.

Michael T Hudson 02-03-16 09:09 AM

I really was wishing this was on Netflix last night.

PatD 02-03-16 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12713450)
the creators are the guys that wrote Ed Wood.

Also: The People vs Larry Flynt, Man on the Moon, and Big Eyes. They love their biopics.

Double_Oh_7 02-03-16 10:54 AM

Cuba looks nothing like OJ. OJ was a muscled ex-football player. Cuba is a skinny little runt.

And did Robert Shapiro really have those dramatic gay mannerisms?

Double_Oh_7 02-03-16 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by HN (Post 12713397)
so there's "american crime" and "american crime story"? which one should i be watching? or both?

Don't forget "american horror story"

GuessWho 02-03-16 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 12713639)
When OJ held the gun to his head it made me wonder how differently things would have turned out if he had just offed himself then.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians would have never existed.

mhg83 02-03-16 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 12714085)
Keeping Up with the Kardashians would have never existed.

Good advice for a time traveler.

Red Dog 02-03-16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12713992)
Cuba looks nothing like OJ. OJ was a muscled ex-football player. Cuba is a skinny little runt.

Yeah. He was a really poor casting choice and I never thought much of him acting wise. So overrated in Jerry Mcquire (an overrated movie in itself).

As expected, Vance was great. Paulson was great too. Great casting there. Can't wait to see those 2 going forward. Connie as Faye Resnick should be very good too.

I don't know if it was creative license, but I didn't know that Johnnie and Darden had a prior relationship. I suppose there weren't many black criminal lawyers on either side in LA at the time so makes sense.

June 17, 1994 --- one of those days you never forget where you were. It was truly surreal.

Loved seeing Garrity from Rescue Me, glad that actor is still getting work.
Was trying to place him. Thanks. :lol:

Falc04 02-03-16 06:34 PM

Good opening show...looking forward to this series.

RichC2 02-03-16 08:26 PM

I liked this, was a good mix of tabloid and true crime. Cuba is distractingly miscast, but he did a great job acting wise.

MLBFan24 02-03-16 09:07 PM

I had no intention of watching this, since there have been many documentaries and coverage of this subject. But I decided to just watch the first few minutes and was hooked. The soundtrack during the discovery of the bodies and crime scenes was intense.

I'll continue to watch.

DJariya 02-03-16 10:30 PM

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...gs-feb-2-2016/

Episode 1 got pretty huge numbers for cable. Easily won the night.

Groucho 02-03-16 11:11 PM

I thought it was well done, even if some of the references to future events were a bit "on the nose". I wouldn't be surprised if we're treated to a scene where Robert Shapiro goes and sees Pulp Fiction or if Selma Blair has a line like "Men, who needs 'em? Next time, Faye, I should just marry a woman!" and turns to the camera.

Season 2 should turn into a episodic mystery show with O.J. driving a van around to the various golf courses in Los Angeles on his hunt for the real killers.

Decker 02-03-16 11:23 PM

Just watched it with my daughter (who has become a fan of true crime series and has watched Fargo, The Jinx and Making a Murderer with me in the past year). It's cool seeing how close to the real thing some of these actors and locations are. Paulson and Vance especially were great. I'm in. :up:
And how about FX maybe having the best line up on TV? Who saw that coming a few years ago?

JeffTheAlpaca 02-04-16 03:29 AM

The opening was really creepy though the acting by the detectives was really bad.

Maybe they should have cast Terry Crews as O.J. lol?

OJ banged his girlfriend in Kim Kardashian's bedroom with all the Joey Lawrence posters on the wall?

http://31.media.tumblr.com/7cfb736ba...ge15o1_400.gif

writer106 02-04-16 08:46 AM

I watched it last night and I like it. I liked the song at the end. I think the weak cast members are going to David Schwimmer, Travolta, and Connie Britton. I'm a Connie Britton fan, but she is wrong the Faye Resnick role.

andicus 02-04-16 11:55 AM

I guess I'm the lone dissenter, here. I thought it was terrible.

I couldn't buy any of the characters. It felt like a cast of caricatures. Travolta looked ridiculous. Cuba just didn't work.

I'm surprised at the praise I'm reading.

MikahC 02-04-16 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 12714678)
OJ banged his girlfriend in Kim Kardashian's bedroom with all the Joey Lawrence posters on the wall?

I wouldn't take the show as a documentary.