Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X-Files (S10E03) -- "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-monster" -- 2/1/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The X-Files (S10E03) -- "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-monster" -- 2/1/16

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avhLMtjL-8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-03-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So glad this is back. Never realized how much we missed a top of their game X-File series until it came back. The ability of two leads, and their chemistry together, lets them do just about anything. Including full on wacky episodes like this one between those with a far more serious tone.
Old 02-04-16, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been a big fan of these types of episodes, but there were still some pretty funny moments.
Old 02-04-16, 08:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched this last night and had a big grin for nearly the entire hour. Watched it with my wife and had to give her a backstory of what was going on and why this was so different than the first two episodes. Needless to say, she didn't appreciate the episode nearly as much as I did.
Old 02-04-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

"Hello old friend, It's really good to see you once again."

The episode brought me back 20 years.
Old 02-04-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Watched this last night and had a big grin for nearly the entire hour. Watched it with my wife and had to give her a backstory of what was going on and why this was so different than the first two episodes. Needless to say, she didn't appreciate the episode nearly as much as I did.
I watched with the wife, who had seen X-Files before, Tue night, but I had to explain some of the in-jokes and references, such as the junkies at the beginning, the Kolchach outfit, and Scully's "I'm immortal" line.

She liked it so much we watched it again last night with some friends, one of whom had seen a few episodes before, and the other hadn't seen any X-Files before. both enjoyed the episode.
Old 02-04-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man...When I watched that..It took me back 20 years.

Great.
Old 02-04-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

What have I done to deserve this? This made me feel like I was 13 watching Jose Chung's From Outer Space for the first time.
Old 02-04-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

That was fun. Much more entertaining than the first two episodes of this season. I loved Mulder's line about how you should expect to be peeped by the landlord in a hotel like that.

It's been ages since I've watched any of the older episodes. Is this season on par quality-wise with earlier episodes?
Old 02-04-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Is this season on par quality-wise with earlier episodes?
I think the new episodes have lost some of their visual quality by switching from film to digital. Even though the new shows were shot in Vancouver, they LOOK like they were shot in L.A.
Old 02-04-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I've seen random episodes here and there but I was never really into X-Files. That said, I've been enjoying this. And since I noticed all the seasons are on Netflix, I've also started back from the beginning.
Old 02-04-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

BTW, been watching some old episodes on the new blu-rays I just picked up, and I can help but notice that the show looks a little "cheaper" now than it did even in 2nd season. Just that the sets look fake and the lighting doesn't look as professional. Maybe they knocked these episodes out real fast, but the difference is noticeable to be seeing them right after each other.
Old 02-04-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
BTW, been watching some old episodes on the new blu-rays I just picked up, and I can help but notice that the show looks a little "cheaper" now than it did even in 2nd season. Just that the sets look fake and the lighting doesn't look as professional. Maybe they knocked these episodes out real fast, but the difference is noticeable to be seeing them right after each other.
I agree, there were also a really limited number of locations (Phone store, Motel, Parking Lot, Woods, Grave Yard) in the episode and they were sparsely populated with other people.
Old 02-04-16, 09:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Old Boy, if watching this miniseries was your introduction to the show, it was a really stupid idea.
ur a sad little man, aren't u?
Old 02-04-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, Fox went cheap on this revival, big time, and it's obvious.
Old 02-04-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Wow! Now THAT was an X-files episode. Fan-freaking-tastic.

I loved the opening with Mulder going through the old files waxing nostalgic about his naivety and tossing them all aside. Anderson and Duchovny were back to form and their chemistry was amazing.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think the new episodes have lost some of their visual quality by switching from film to digital. Even though the new shows were shot in Vancouver, they LOOK like they were shot in L.A.
The woods scenes looked like a sound stage.
Old 02-05-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

I enjoyed the Hell out of that episode. It was unrelentingly silly but still entertaining. My favorite was Mulder taking both his and Scully's positions in a one-person argument about werewolves. Duchovny is such a good comedic actor when he's engaged in the material. This was the first time this year that he's seemed interested in acting rather than just phoning in lines. As Scully said "That's how I like my Mulder!".
Old 02-05-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Originally Posted by RichC2
I agree, there were also a really limited number of locations (Phone store, Motel, Parking Lot, Woods, Grave Yard) in the episode and they were sparsely populated with other people.
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yep, Fox went cheap on this revival, big time, and it's obvious.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. This has been my biggest takeaway from these new episodes. Each one has been better than the previous, but there's still something missing. The old cliche is that each episode of the X-Files was a like a little movie. That has not been the case with these so far.

The second ep was a little better in this department, but the first and third have pretty much just been people standing around and talking to each other. Even this new episode, as fun as it was, basically amounted to Guy just telling Mulder his story. I feel like the old episodes played out much more organically. It's a shame, because all the ingredients were there for this to be an all-timer. The execution let it down.
Old 02-05-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
ur a sad little man, aren't u?
Not accurate. I'm 6'0 and I'm in a good mood. It's Friday afterall!

Stop being so overly sensitive. Smoke some of your mary jane and mellow out. And Go watch the original seasons on Netflix first.
Old 02-05-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Yeah, that was great. Rhys Darby can be a bit hit & miss for me, but he was used pretty well here.

And if anyone cares, Kumail Nanjiani, the guy who played the animal-control/serial killer has a great X-Files podcast where he and guests (including Files actors and creators) talk in depth about episodes, and being a comedian, it can be pretty funny too.
Thanks for the link, good stuff.
Old 02-05-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. This has been my biggest takeaway from these new episodes. Each one has been better than the previous, but there's still something missing. The old cliche is that each episode of the X-Files was a like a little movie. That has not been the case with these so far.

The second ep was a little better in this department, but the first and third have pretty much just been people standing around and talking to each other. Even this new episode, as fun as it was, basically amounted to Guy just telling Mulder his story. I feel like the old episodes played out much more organically. It's a shame, because all the ingredients were there for this to be an all-timer. The execution let it down.
The show was very cinematic and atmospheric and it's a damn shame that the new revival seems so TV. The X-Files made so much money for Fox and they are half-assing. They're only doing 6 episodes, the production is obviously rushed, and they are not hiring real directors. Darin Morgan never directed an episode of The X-Files in the initial run. Why couldn't they bring back guys like David Nutter? Because Fox is going cheap as hell with The X-Files, while turning around and spending big bucks on Gotham and Empire. It doesn't matter how good the concepts and ideas are if they don't want to spend the money for proper execution. They handicapped the season before it ever started.
Old 02-05-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

To be fair the last X-files movie didn't exactly light the world on fire and you hear nothing but shit about the final two seasons(so 16 years since the last decent season). I don't blame Fox for playing it safe, I just hope they rectify it if the series is renewed given it's re-found success.
Old 02-05-16, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Either Fox wants to believe or they don't. The truth is out there or it isn't. Don't cock tease us with a poorly produced season.
Old 02-05-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this budgeted 6 episode experiment generated interest in another season, it seems they made the right call. Personally I've only noticed dramatic differences in scenes like the phone store in this last episode and all the scenes that have taken place after dark. (people have commented that they are not lighting them the same way).
Old 02-05-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Either Fox wants to believe or they don't. The truth is out there or it isn't. Don't cock tease us with a poorly produced season.
I'm thinking this 6 episode limited run was more or less an experiment to see if the fans would come back. I'm not surprised the physical production budget was probably limited. I'm also not surprised they played it safe. Also, we don't know this for certain, but probably most of the A-list TV directors were probably not available or too expensive for their budget.

If this comes back in 2017, which seems very likely. I think FOX will put more money into it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.