Reload this Page >

Heroes: Reborn (S5E13) -- Series Finale -- "Project Reborn" -- 1/21/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-21-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

The world's end approaches as Tommy faces his greatest challenge and Erica takes drastic measures to ensure her plan's success. Meanwhile, Malina tries to fulfill a prophecy to save the world, and Emily and Ren search for Miko.

Final episode. It's over!!
Old 01-21-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Heroes: Reborn (S5E13) -- Series Finale -- "Project Reborn" -- 1/21/16

Our long national nightmare ends tonight.
Old 01-21-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Well, it can't actually disappoint me, right? So I guess there's that.
Old 01-21-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate myself for watching this shit. But not as much as I hate them for bringing in more stupidly bad video game bullshit into this show. I mean, I thought it couldn't get worst.

but then it did.
Old 01-22-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heroes Reborn: Hey, Remember all those characters you wanted to return to? Ha ha, fuck them. we're going to shit allllll over them.
Old 01-22-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Heroes Reborn: Hey, Remember all those characters you wanted to return to? Ha ha, fuck them. we're going to shit allllll over them.
I think that is what bothered me most. I could have been okay with some new characters, just don't kill half of the originals. Also don't think they always need to have an end of the world storyline. They could do smaller stories with an arch. However this is really just one long story and Heroes has always done that.
Old 01-22-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I liked it.

Old 01-22-16, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Another one bites the dust.
Old 01-23-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't even be bothered to talk about this episode.
Old 01-25-16, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally watched this episode. Oh the eyerolls.

Spoilers ahoy.

The powers are basically just crutches for the writers.

Zach Levi can magically absorb an entire "solar flare" before it hits the Earth. And he knows he can do it, which is why he sends girl twin away, because apparently she can only stop the second flare.

She apparently needs to climb up the watchtower. Except she climbs back down the watchtower to stop the solar flare in pretty much the exact same situation they were in before the human torch died. Except this time "satellite debris" happens to be falling at their exact location, so there's some cool explosions.

Meanwhile, Micah is able to magically create electricity. Boy Kitty Pryde is able to take a bullet out of someone without killing them from infection. They along with Lucha Libre and his girlfriend also magically become doctors. Oh wait they have field training.

The only reason Tommy splits into two in order to "warn" himself is because it made for a cool visual, there's no other reason why going back in his memories would create a double.

"Time is a circle, but memories are forever." I don't even understand that. At all.

Hey kids. Remember when you were babies, I was afraid that Tommy would steal girl twin's power? Well, let's put him in a room with girl twin and the Haitian, because he won't steal powers anymore, in fact, we'll never mention that plot point again. Oh, don't worry, you'll never remember this meeting, for no reason whatsoever except it keeps the plot going.

"Two places at once? Even Hiro Nakamura wasn't able to do that!" That's because if you can stop time and time travel, you don't need to be in two places at once. "You can't save them both!" Yes he can, without splitting himself, because he can stop time.

Ren and Tommy's girlfriend see them take away Katana Girl's dad. Then they go outside to see that they went to the future. Then they go back inside, and pick up right where they left off, because apparently security sucks. Good thing they led you exactly to the place where you could use the key I gave you.

I chose you, Reckless Ren, because, well, you are so good at Evernow. Except you did very little in Evernow. I could have sent just Katana Girl, but, um, her physical form had to go cut up a bad guy, and her digital form, for some reason, couldn't save the master of time and space by herself. I didn't even have a phone or anything, but now my powers have expanded so I can send anyone to Evernow whenever I want.

I took you, HRG, the moment before you were about to die, and sent you to the exact moment where you can learn how to sacrifice yourself. Not that I want you to sacrifice yourself, unless you want to. I mean, there's no other choice or anything. But up to you. No, really, this will be like a gigantic moving thing, the big finale, people won't be rolling their eyes or anything. Why did you want yourself to forget all this again?

And darned it all, I still kinda want to know who the dad is.
Old 01-25-16, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to a recent short story no one read, it's some new character Claire nicknamed "Hammer"... No prizes for guessing why she ended up knocked up with a nickname like that.
Old 01-25-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Haha. that one factoid is better than the entire season of this show.
Old 01-25-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I just don't think ambitious, complicated narrative plotting is Kring's forte. NBC and the show seemingly didn't respond to fan complaints about the first Heroes series when they went ahead with this new take. I guess they thought superheroes had gotten magically more popular and the same formula would work even better this time.

A shorter return may have worked better. Thirteen episodes was clearly overkill. A four-part mini-series or something would have been structured far better and eliminated several annoying story lines.
Old 01-25-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I just don't think ambitious, complicated narrative plotting is Kring's forte. NBC and the show seemingly didn't respond to fan complaints about the first Heroes series when they went ahead with this new take. I guess they thought superheroes had gotten magically more popular and the same formula would work even better this time.

A shorter return may have worked better. Thirteen episodes was clearly overkill. A four-part mini-series or something would have been structured far better and eliminated several annoying story lines.
The problem is that four part mini series would have been all the stupid parts (at least one episode devoted to that terrible video game world, I'm sure). And if they did have another season, you know it would start out with a re-nerf of Tommy.

What else has Kring done recently?

The pregnant daughter... that was her send off last week? I thought maybe she died and I forgot, I actually had to look up what happened to her.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-25-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Kring had run that failed Fox series, Touch, that was also about a shadowy organization trying to control a superpowered young person. It was actually better than this Heroes reboot.
Old 01-26-16, 05:55 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I liked it.

I've got to agree with you. It certainly wasn't the best… or even that good… it was a nice continuation to the story.

One thing that I do understand now, is the meaning behind "save the cheerleader, save the world."

They weren't talking about Claire, they were talking about her children. to me though, it's a veiled rip off of the Star Wars phrase "Bring balance to the force." Most people thought it was the twins and Leia and Luke, but it was really Vader just like this episode it was a charge HRG.

I light the answer to the question that the redhead guy (I can't even remember his name after 13 episodes) gave to the question "who are the Evos?"

That was the best writing of the whole series.

I am very grateful that it is over… And hope it's another few years before we get another volume.
Old 01-27-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't the "save the cheerleader" thing something future Hiro said, to prevent his own dystopian future? I guess it could pertain here, but you'd also have to include saving HRG, Hiro, Grandma Petrelli and "the Hammer" to the list.
Old 01-27-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wasn't the "save the cheerleader" thing something future Hiro said, to prevent his own dystopian future? I guess it could pertain here, but you'd also have to include saving HRG, Hiro, Grandma Petrelli and "the Hammer" to the list.
Yeah, the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" thing from season one came from the five-years-older Hiro that was subsequently killed shortly afterward. And that warning was, from what I recall, only about preventing Sylar from killing her and gaining her powers.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-28-16 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-28-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

The Heroes volumes with the carnival and the fugitives on the run from the government were better than this.

Unless they bring back the entire original cast don't bother bringing back this series for another run.