Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Billions (Showtime) -- Series Thread -- S: Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Billions (Showtime) -- S: Lewis, Giamatti -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 3/25/1

GREAT to have this back. The new AG is an excellent new character, and this show just hits on all cylinders nonstop.

"Bye kids! Mommy and Daddy are going to see their therapist."

Q: Why are Axe & his wife separated exactly? I knew she said she wasn't going to run, that he should do what he has to do, but this I don't quite get. There was that whole thing about how he'd never cheated on her, only lied to her once in 15 years or whatever, and now they're living apart and he's banging a prostitute? Just wondering.
Old 03-28-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Billions (Showtime) -- S: Lewis, Giamatti -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 3/25/1

I seem to recall something about him lying to her about ending his dealings with Wendy Rhoads. Plus there was something about her starting her own business and failing spectacularly and him kind of "I told you so"-ing her after. But I thought they had gotten past that after some time apart and they had reconciled. I can't recall exactly why they are one the outs now though. Could just be a move of financial convenience. I re-watched the S2 finale again before the premier but apparently I didn't go back far enough.
Old 04-08-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Episode 3 is tonight

A GENERATION TOO LATE
Original Air Date: Apr 8, 2018

Chuck faces a dilemma when he's given a perverse directive. Axe expands upon a secret venture. Taylor and Wags interview a different type of Axe Capital employee. Connerty and Dake close in on key witnesses in the Ice Juice sabotage. Axe and Lara consider an unexpected agreement.
Old 04-09-18, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Not much interest in the show it appears... or at least little interest in discussing it.

There are times in this show where I'm lost in the legal talk/strategy as well as the financial stuff. Sometimes I'm up to speed, other times I get it in pieces and other times I'm lost.

I had a good laugh when Axe tells Lara it's possible that he could be left with "only" 300 million after they take away his illegally gotten gains, and Lara gives a shocked reaction stating that it doesn't sound like enough.
Old 04-10-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I had a good laugh when Axe tells Lara it's possible that he could be left with "only" 300 million after they take away his illegally gotten gains, and Lara gives a shocked reaction stating that it doesn't sound like enough.
That was hilarious. They'll have nothing left. What's nothing? $300M.

As was....Axe to Ira: "And what juice are you having? Oh, too soon??"
Old 04-10-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
That was hilarious. They'll have nothing left. What's nothing? $300M.
It really felt like Greed was the central theme of this episode (more than normal at least).

- The 300m only comment from Axe to Lara.
- Ira being wiped out, while probably still making a decent living, but needing big cash to keep his gold-digging girlfriend (who agreed to delay the engagement while Ira figures out the money issues)... so he takes Axe's offer.
- Wags regretfully admitting that his "boat" is significantly smaller than Axe's
- The investor agreeing to go in with Axe after being convinced that 40mill isn't enough to live the lifestyle he wants
Old 04-26-18, 12:22 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Renewed: http://deadline.com/2018/04/billions...is-1202377356/
Old 04-26-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Good to hear! I'm still enjoying this show.
Old 04-26-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely enjoy it as well. Some of the scenarios are preposterous (such as Chuck's wife Wendy continuing to work for Axe through everything that has and is happening) but the show is full of great characters and acting.
Old 04-27-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Dollar Bill was so awesome in the last episode between the stripping, forced apology, and demolition derby.
Old 05-15-18, 12:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Not much interest in the show it appears... or at least little interest in discussing it.
I'm surprised that this show doesn't have more love. The ratings are pretty meh, but I think this season has been fantastic, especially the last 3 episodes.

Where does it head now with Bobby in the clear? He seems to be a bit of a loose cannon with his re-org of investment strategies after seeming jealous that Taylor kept the ship afloat in his absence. And Chuck deciding against running for governor. These last 4 episodes should be interesting...
Old 05-15-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

It was obvious Chuck Rhoades was not going for governorship with all the telegraphing during the episode.

Clearly they are shuffling a lot of pieces to different sides of the board. Axe and Rhoades may even team up temporarily to take out Blackjack Foley, but it won't be long before they are at each other's throats again.
Old 05-16-18, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by PeMo
I'm surprised that this show doesn't have more love. The ratings are pretty meh, but I think this season has been fantastic, especially the last 3 episodes.
Totally agree--this show is absolutely fantastic.

I hope we haven't seen the last of Connerty. I doubt it...
Old 05-16-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still enjoying this.

It's gotten to the point that the only character that seems to have any morals on this show is Connerty. Chuck was on the fence for a while but then turned a 180 and seems to have brought Wendy down with him. They've also turned Lara into a bitch now. I'm glad they split Axe/Lara up since Lara's story line and involvement in the show felt really pointless.
Old 05-16-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, still loving this show, too!

I'm a little puzzled about one thing, though.. I thought Lara and Axe only split in order to protect their assets? Why the hostility now?

Connerty will absolutely be back. They can't destroy him like that and not give him, at least, the possibility of revenge.

Chuck certainly is making a lot of enemies.
Old 05-16-18, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
I'm a little puzzled about one thing, though.. I thought Lara and Axe only split in order to protect their assets? Why the hostility now?
No idea. I never understood what happened there, even after re-watching the last half of last season. Nothing indicated this outcome. There was only (according to Axe) the only lie he ever told her their entire marriage, but it appeared they had moved on from that. Guess not, or something...
Old 06-04-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife noticed the credits showed 5 girls in the hot tub. We only saw 3. Wonder if two were under the water like in Back to School. This season has been great. Looking forward to the finale.
Old 06-05-18, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson
My wife noticed the credits showed 5 girls in the hot tub. We only saw 3. Wonder if two were under the water like in Back to School. This season has been great. Looking forward to the finale.
Sounds like she has a very keen eye.

So Taylor is doing all this to
Spoiler:
leave Axe and go out on her own? Take his $20 million and bolt?
Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it could lead up to an interesting next season.
Old 06-05-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uteotw
Sounds like she has a very keen eye.

So Taylor is doing all this to
Spoiler:
leave Axe and go out on her own? Take his $20 million and bolt?
Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it could lead up to an interesting next season.
That's what it looks like.

This season is weird in that it almost feels like every episode there's a twist/reveal with a characters actions.

Also, I don't remember the compliance officer being a lame tool in previous seasons. I only remember him being a background character who never stood out or irritated people, but this season they made him outspoken, over-confident and embarrassing.
Old 06-05-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they're entitled to take the money and run. It's a bonus, which was well earned.

I also thought it was likely for that to happen. Axe keeps dangling a carrot, and then taking it away, among other things.

Taylor is obviously brilliant, and Axe has to anticipate this as a possibility.
Old 06-05-18, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
Taylor is obviously brilliant, and Axe has to anticipate this as a possibility.
RIGHT. I think he's going to kick himself for letting Wendy and Lara somewhat blind him to what is really going on.
Old 06-11-18, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am still loving this show. Great season finale!
Old 06-11-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed that episode, even though the twists were predictable.

Nice to see a change in the goals of the lead characters. It was getting a little stale with Chuck continuing to go after Axe.
Old 06-11-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Bobby is planning to do anything even remotely shady, I do not see how he could possibly confide in Chuck, no matter what Chuck's current position. Chuck's a politician, and he could be back in a position of power at any point. He could also be across from Axe at any point, and you don't give a ruthless player like Chuck information to hold over your head just so you can have a bonding moment.

While I had a feeling throughout the episode Chuck's plans were going to backfire, I did not anticipate the depth of the coalition working against him.

Wendy: It is not just about numbers and decimal points. The thing that makes it matter is: Lasting relationships. True loyalty. Real trust.

Taylor: No, I'm pretty sure there's only money, and it can buy all those things. Or at least the same result. That's what you and Axe taught me.

Raw. It's strange watching Axe expect loyalty when Taylor's right... Axe's primary loyalties are to winning and money. The vast majority of people with him are with him because they can't do better financially without him. Taylor doesn't believe that applies in "their" case. Taylor has also been able to convince others they'll do better at TM. I don't think for Axe it's about being disloyal, it's about money and needing to win. Taylor walked out with his dollars.
Old 06-12-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
Nice to see a change in the goals of the lead characters. It was getting a little stale with Chuck continuing to go after Axe.
Definitely. The show has done a great job of jockeying the pieces around the board while making it all seem believable. The next season will still feel fresh even though basically the same people are doing basically the same things. Very well done.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.