Reload this Page >

Hunters (SyFy) -- From EP Gale Anne Hurd -- Coming 4/11/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-15-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,110 Likes on 829 Posts

From executive producers Gale Anne Hurd (The Walking Dead, The Terminator trilogy) and Natalie Chaidez (12 Monkeys, Heroes), Hunters is inspired by Whitley Strieberís best-selling novel, Alien Hunter, in which the disappearance of a decorated FBI agent's wife leads him to a secret government unit assembled to hunt a group of ruthless terrorists - shadowy figures that may or may not be from this world.

The series stars Nathan Phillips (Wolf Creek) as Flynn, a headstrong Baltimore FBI agent with a dark past trying to piece together the disappearance of his wife. Britne Oldford (American Horror Story) will play Regan, who is one of the governmentís most valuable operatives and may be keeping secrets of her own. Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck) portrays McCarthy, an unhinged junkie and Hunter cell leader.

Hunters will push boundaries by redefining what makes a terrorist and offer a unique crossover twist between gritty crime drama and sci-fi thriller. The series will premiere in April 2016.

Here's the trailer.

Looks alright, but has a decent creative team behind it. I'll check it out in April along with the 2nd season of 12 Monkeys.

I'm just glad that SyFy continues to produce scripted genre shows even though they have cancelled a few and some have ended.

Last edited by dex14; 04-11-16 at 07:16 AM. Reason: fixed trailer
Old 04-11-16, 07:17 AM

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Re: Hunters (SyFy) -- From EP Gale Anne Hurd -- Coming 4/11/16

This premieres tonight, 4/11/16.
Old 04-13-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got about 10 minutes in and then nope. Spectacularly bad. SyFy was bound to fail with some of these new shows.
Old 04-13-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 304 Likes on 261 Posts

I watched the entire pilot. Julian McMahon seems wildly mis-cast as the alien leader, though maybe that portends he isn't as evil as the first episode portrayed. They hinted these aliens have their own agenda of some kind that may not be pure conquest.

The opening 20 minutes or so have very rough direction, I guess to cover up the lack of budget for the special effects. Way too many quick cuts and stuff happening in pitch black darkness. Things did get better once they introduced the agency hunting aliens down.

I'll give it a few episodes. The pilot wasn't great and most of the casting seemed suspect, but there does appear to be a fairly decent story beyond the government versus aliens angle.
Old 04-13-16, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flave View Post
I got about 10 minutes in and then nope. Spectacularly bad. SyFy was bound to fail with some of these new shows.
Yep, I only lasted 15 minutes.

OMD's "Joan of Arc" as a plot device just made me laugh.
Old 04-14-16, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave View Post
Same here. Stealth insertion by helicopter ... Or did the aliens turn out to be deaf?
Old 06-01-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Okay, I know a lot of folks on this forum are not fans of this show but I am enjoying Hunters a bit more than 12 Monkeys, not a ton more but I do prioritize catching up on Hunters before 12 Monkeys. I am on episode 7 and find that each show builds on the other to keep things moving at a steady pace.

I know...super vague praise and no specific reasons why I am enjoying the show, but if you have this show building up on your dvr it is worth an effort to get caught up. If the show is doing nothing for you by episodes 4 or 5 than I can see you giving up on it.
Old 06-02-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 304 Likes on 261 Posts

That piercing sonic noise they use for the aliens seriously annoyed me, which is why I gave up on Hunters.

I just didn't like much of the casting for this show.
Old 06-02-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Okay, I know a lot of folks on this forum are not fans of this show but I am enjoying Hunters a bit more than 12 Monkeys, not a ton more but I do prioritize catching up on Hunters before 12 Monkeys. I am on episode 7 and find that each show builds on the other to keep things moving at a steady pace.

I know...super vague praise and no specific reasons why I am enjoying the show, but if you have this show building up on your dvr it is worth an effort to get caught up. If the show is doing nothing for you by episodes 4 or 5 than I can see you giving up on it.
I completely agree. I find it different enough, and I'm glad that they've moved several plot points forward that some shows might have kept a mystery all Season (like the fate of the main character's wife).

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
That piercing sonic noise they use for the aliens seriously annoyed me, which is why I gave up on Hunters.

I just didn't like much of the casting for this show.
The noise was definitely annoying. I think that it is meant to be, but they have stopped doing it very often. I think (iirc) that there was one-two episodes where they really did a lot of it, but then fortunately reined it in.
Old 06-02-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Strapped4Cash, even the fact that they are modeled after the Predator does not bother me (I am referring to the back-story introduced in episode 7, and by golly the Hunters look suspiciously like the Predator). The scene on the hunters planet with the ship and their subsequent emergency exit via pods that ended up on earth worked for me even while I was groaning a bit that this scene could have been torn out of any of the Predator films.
Old 06-26-16, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They're burning off episodes at midnight, but has cancellation been made official yet?
Old 07-08-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,110 Likes on 829 Posts

Cancelled: http://tvline.com/2016/07/08/hunters...syfy-season-2/

Looks like this won't be missed by anyone. I didn't even start it. Too much on my plate when this premiered and it looked really cheap.