DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The 73rd Golden Globe Awards (NBC) -- 1/10/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/630369-73rd-golden-globe-awards-nbc-1-10-16-a.html)

windom 01-10-16 10:23 PM

Re: The 73rd Golden Globe Awards (NBC) -- 1/10/16

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 12692806)
Did Ridley Scott say Jessica "Christin" or did I hear wrong?

I think he was thanking the actors by their first names only: Jessica [Chastain], Kristin [Wiig],...

Perkinsun Dzees 01-10-16 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12692851)
I think he was thanking the actors by their first names only: Jessica [Chastain], Kristin [Wiig],...

Heh, you're right. I forgot Kristin Wiig was in the movie.

redrum 01-10-16 10:34 PM

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/Zm...td0hds_500.gif

Decker 01-10-16 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12692843)
That may be a big Best Picture contender. It seems to be a major critical favorite.

Spotlight is the critical favorite. I'm stunned it got shut out tonight. Screenplay was miles better than Steve Jobs.

BTW : Ricky Gervais asked Mel Gibson "What the fuck does Sugartits even mean?" :lol: no wonder that got bleeped.

Giles 01-10-16 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12692862)
Spotlight is the critical favorite. I'm stunned it got shut out tonight. Screenplay was miles better than Steve Jobs.

BTW : Ricky Gervais asked Mel Gibson "What the fuck does Sugartits even mean?" :lol: no wonder that got bleeped.

Ricky even got further last words in at the very very end: ""From myself and Mel Gibson, SHALOM!" LOL

mhg83 01-10-16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 12692846)
I never saw the movie but just finished the book and unless MAJOR changes were made to it I have no idea how The Martian can be considered a comedy (or musical). Does anyone know their rational?

They ran out of room for nominations in the Drama categories? That's my guess.

AaronHernandez 01-10-16 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 12692866)
They ran out of room for nominations in the Drama categories? That's my guess.

Most likely they just seriously love their stars and putting Martian in Drama means they could give Best Actor to both Damon and Dicaprio

Jack Straw 01-10-16 10:46 PM

The censoring was brutal. If they're going to do that they should move this to cable. I mean come on!

Decker 01-10-16 10:48 PM

We talked about it when the nominations came out. The studio submitted The Martian it in the Comedy category to face lighter competition.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/13...-golden-globes

Jack Straw 01-10-16 11:00 PM

Then it shouldn't have been even nominated if they're going to pull that shit, as it doesn't really fit into the comedy genre.

Traxan 01-10-16 11:15 PM

Man, Christian Slater finally on the comeback trail. He was wandering the wilderness for years, doing Uwe Boll movies and shows that got cancelled after one season.

EinCB 01-10-16 11:20 PM

I don't think the Foreign Press really cares. As long as the Globes get great ratings for the NBC, they're doing their job. I haven't watched The Martian yet, but if the Foreign Press really cared, perhaps Shaun The Sheep or Inside Out would have been nominated for best comedy in place of The Martian.

Darq 01-11-16 12:05 AM

During Jim Carrey's presentation, did anyone else notice how UNamused Kate Winslet (and her husband) looked? The whole crowd was cracking up, and she was just straight faced the whole time. Thought they had great chemistry together in Eternal Sunshine. Wonder what the story is there....

DJariya 01-11-16 12:08 AM

Some of the scripted jokes for the presenters were just terrible. The interaction between Gosling and Pitt was uncomfortable to watch. It looked so forced.

musick 01-11-16 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 12692846)
I never saw the movie but just finished the book and unless MAJOR changes were made to it I have no idea how The Martian can be considered a comedy (or musical). Does anyone know their rational?

it was funny how bad the movie was compared to the book ... so there's that

writer106 01-11-16 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 12692872)
The censoring was brutal. If they're going to do that they should move this to cable. I mean come on!

Yeah, I think Bravo would be perfect for it.

writer106 01-11-16 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12692765)
:up: Mr. Robot love
:down: Fargo shut out

I was disappointed by that especially since Kirsten Dunst lost to Lady Gaga. I hope Emmys throw Fargo a couple of awards.

andicus 01-11-16 01:27 AM

Yeah, I was disappointed about Fargo, too.

I'm also very glad I PVR'd this so I could skim through it.

Throwing Copper 01-11-16 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12692765)
:up: Mr. Robot love
:down: Fargo shut out

I feel like I keep up with stuff ok, but I can't imagine most of the general public knowing who or what some of these fucking shows that won, or had actors win in them, in the first 2 hours were.

Just a disgrace that Fargo wins nothing.

Throwing Copper 01-11-16 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 12692814)
Hope Brie Larson gets the Oscar too, deserves it.

I was really happy to her win the Globe. Great looking, great performance, nice speech, too.

Hazel Motes 01-11-16 03:00 AM

-The monologue was decent for Gervais, but the whole Mel Gibson bit was fucking hilarious. I thought the Ben Affleck joke was unnecessarily mean and not funny. The absolute highlight of Gervais for me was something that didn't get any audience laughter and may not have even been noticed, but when he announced Eddie Redmayne and was surprised he was a man because of the Danish Girl character he played, the way he looked at him from behind as he was walking away had me in stitches.

- When Jamie Foxx said "GHETTO...alright" after Tarantino said it during his Morricone acceptance speech, the first thing that came to mind is that the word "ghetto" isn't exclusively a black word and has been around and been used for people of all ethnicities for hundreds of years, so I don't think the slight offence he seemingly took to it was warranted.

- seriously man, fuck Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence. I was the only person in the room and I still winced when they made they big "look at us we're so fun" speech before announcing an award. They're both just unbelievably obnoxious. Also, JLA, David O Russell isn't a quarter of the director you seem to think he is.

-Sly winning for playing Rocky for the 7th time, the standing O, the Rocky theme playing, his speech. Perfection, what a great moment. The highlight of the show. I hope he gets the Oscar.

- I don't know why I even bothered getting myself worked up thinking Fury Road could win, but I did. Shame it didn't get anything.

- I would very much like to bury my cock between Katy Perry's tits.

- Alan Cumming covering his face in horror when Gervais asked Gibson what the fuck does sugar tit even mean, was AMAZING.

Decent show overall, I hadn't heard of nearly any of the tv shows or tv movies, but that seems to always be the case because these award shows usually tend to launch up and coming shows.

Brack 01-11-16 04:34 AM

I thought the Ben Affleck joke was unnecessarily mean and not funny.
The guy is a known philanderer. Very funny if you ask me.

Brack 01-11-16 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Darq (Post 12692906)
During Jim Carrey's presentation, did anyone else notice how UNamused Kate Winslet (and her husband) looked? The whole crowd was cracking up, and she was just straight faced the whole time. Thought they had great chemistry together in Eternal Sunshine. Wonder what the story is there....

Maybe they had too good of chemistry...

RoyalTea 01-11-16 06:40 AM

I don't get The Martian as a comedy either, but I don't understand why people are so upset over that, but if Transparent or Orange is the New Black can be considered comedies, too, then it doesn't seem that crazy.

Daytripper 01-11-16 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12692746)
Wow, Lady Gaga just won for best actress in a limited series.

Good for her. That role was tailor made for her.

"American Horror Story" is horrible horrible show. Terrible writing and ridiculous storylines. So yeah, she was perfect in the role given how over the top that show is. But winning over Kirsten Dunst and Felicity Huffman? Come on.