Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Angie Tribeca (TBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Rashida Jones -- premieres 1/17/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Angie Tribeca (TBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Rashida Jones -- premieres 1/17/16

Old 01-18-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Angie Tribeca (TBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Rashida Jones -- premieres 1/17/16

Just finished the pilot. Loved it. Didn't expect it to be Naked Gun-type comedy (I don't read reviews), but I really enjoyed it.
Old 01-18-16, 08:30 PM

Re: Angie Tribeca (TBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Rashida Jones -- premieres 1/17/16

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Plus it doesn't help that there's a lot of jokes that's been recycled numerous times already.
"Let's just say I get a little twitchy when it comes to weddings."

"I get a little twitchy when it comes to weddings."

Plenty of jokes aren't just recycled but ripped off from Get Smart, Airplane, Police Squad, Naked Gun, and Sledge Hammer. What's sad is that viewers unfamiliar with those are going to find the humor fresh and praise Angie Tribeca. At the SF Sketchfest 30th anniversary celebration of Sledge Hammer yesterday, producer/writer Alan Spencer likened Angie Tribeca's recycling more to copyright infringement than to an homage or tribute. In contrast, Archer borrows some of its humor from the same sources but is original enough not to feel like an imitation.

Something about Angie Tribeca's directing and timing seems off as well. In its predecessors, the pacing was faster and the delivery and gags were more exaggerated. Proft, Abrahams, and the Zucker brothers tried to cram as many jokes as they could in a minute but single jokes in Angie Tribeca are often drawn out, losing the surprise that makes them funny.
Old 01-18-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk God

I won't say it is great, but I am laughing several times at some of the absurd stuff. Love seeing Deon Cole in it, so I will watch them all. This would be a perfect summer show but it won't be since it is not a network show.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-19-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
"Let's just say I get a little twitchy when it comes to weddings."

"I get a little twitchy when it comes to weddings."

Plenty of jokes aren't just recycled but ripped off from Get Smart, Airplane, Police Squad, Naked Gun, and Sledge Hammer. What's sad is that viewers unfamiliar with those are going to find the humor fresh and praise Angie Tribeca. At the SF Sketchfest 30th anniversary celebration of Sledge Hammer yesterday, producer/writer Alan Spencer likened Angie Tribeca's recycling more to copyright infringement than to an homage or tribute. In contrast, Archer borrows some of its humor from the same sources but is original enough not to feel like an imitation.
I was always surprised that style of comedy largely died out by the late 80s. I don't know if it was a cultural shift or not, but seemingly overnight disappeared without a trace.

Strains of it moved to the sketch shows but mostly disappeared from scripted comedy.
Old 01-19-16, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not often do you see a german shepherd doing donuts...or Alfred Molina giving a ferret an ultrasound.

Out of boredom, I cycled thru the series twice on that TBS binge-a-thon. LOVE IT. Yes it's in the vein of Naked Gun/Police Squad etc, but the zany humor, rapidfire throwaway jokes worked for me vs some comparable shows I find on Adult Swim, ComedyCentral (or on TBS).

Well cast - enjoyed Ms. Jones and the actress in the Dr. Scholls role.
Old 01-19-16, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I was always surprised that style of comedy largely died out by the late 80s. I don't know if it was a cultural shift or not, but seemingly overnight disappeared without a trace.

Strains of it moved to the sketch shows but mostly disappeared from scripted comedy.
I loved "Police Squad" (have the episodes on VHS and Laserdisc), but it was a huge bomb. It was generally felt at the time that there were "too many jokes" and "over the heads" of the general audience. The style is generally frowned on by Television producers because it doesn't allow the audience to become emotionally invested in the characters.
Old 01-19-16, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I won't say it is great, but I am laughing several times at some of the absurd stuff. Love seeing Don Cole in it, so I will watch them all. This would be a perfect summer show but it won't be since it is not a network show.
Agreed. I've only watched the first two episodes. While I liked it, it also felt a little too recycled. As other said, it pulls too many gags directly from the shows it obviously gets its inspiration from. If pressed to give it a grade, I'd probably go C+. With the talent involved, I can certainly see where it can get better in a hurry though.
Old 01-19-16, 03:29 PM

TBS aired all the Binge-a-thon segments as a single 90-min segment. TitanTV says it'll re-air early next Mon.
Old 01-23-16, 04:56 PM

Finally finished this and I liked it, but I could see others getting tired of it after a while.

Episodes 1 through 7 had A LOT of puns. I hate puns.

Episodes 8 through 10 had around one or two puns, so I'm not sure who wrote those episodes.

My favorite character was the medical examiner woman and her dry humor.
Old 01-23-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Bill Murray cameo.
Old 01-24-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post

My favorite character was the medical examiner woman and her dry humor.
ME in the bubble bath and the disappointment of the cops when she turned out to be fully clothed. That was pretty funny.
Old 01-24-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Binged the 1st 5 episodes last night that I recorded during the Binge-A-thon.

I liked it. There were some pretty funny scenes, but yes there are a lot of Puns and some were pretty bad. I can see how that can get really old and annoying for some.

I laughed at the Puppet episode where DJ was interrogating the Puppet and busted out practically every board game from the 80's.

The opening credits with the guy screaming cracked me up since it was new every time.

The worst episode of the 5 I watched was the Police Commissioner having the baby fetish. That was nasty and dumb.
Old 01-24-16, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

The opening credits with the guy screaming cracked me up since it was new every time.
A spoof of CSI Miami, I presume...
Old 06-04-16, 12:38 AM

Season 2 starts Monday (June 6). Two episodes.
Old 06-06-16, 06:39 AM

After putting murderous ventriloquists, bakers and painters behind bars in its first amazing season, TBS's Angie Tribeca is ready to untangle all new webs of deceit in the gripping second season. Rashida Jones, Hayes MacArthur, Jere Burns, Deon Cole, Andrée Vermeulen and Jagger the German Shepherd will be back when the powerful police drama returns Monday, June 6, exclusively on TBS, a division of Turner. TBS's first-ever police procedural, Angie Tribeca is the brainchild of Nancy and Steve Carell, who are executive-producing the series along with showrunner Ira Ungerleider. The buzz-generating hit has drawn widespread critical acclaim, with the LA Times calling it "an entertaining joyride," Vanity Fair dubbing it "absurd and very, very funny," and Entertainment Weekly saying "it never gets old." In its first season, Angie Tribeca ranked as basic cable's #1 Monday night sitcom and reached more than 4.2 million viewers per episode across TBS's linear, VOD, digital and mobile platforms. The series launched in January with a groundbreaking 25-hour "Binge-A-Thon," generating more than 65 million impressions on social media. In addition, 36% of the Binge-A-Thon viewers were new to TBS. Angie Tribeca follows a squad of committed LAPD detectives who investigate the most serious cases. At the center is Angie Tribeca, a lone-wolf detective played by Rashida Jones. Hayes MacArthur is her partner, Jay Geils. Jere Burns plays the squad's apoplectic lieutenant. Helping solve each complex case are detective Danny Tanner, played by Deon Cole; Dr. Monica Scholls, the brilliant, bespectacled medical examiner played by Andrée Vermeulen; and detective David Hoffman, Tanner's K9 German Shepard partner played by Jagger.
Old 06-11-16, 10:45 PM

I watched the first two episodes of season 2 today. I admit I don't like the new opening credits, I want the screaming guy back lol. I'm liking the love triangle storyline.
Old 06-14-16, 08:07 PM

I don't know if it's me, but the show seems to be missing something from the first season. Just seems like there's not as many quick jokes this season, plus the baby storyline is kind of odd.
Old 06-15-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not digging this second season as much as the first. Feels like there's half as many jokes in each episode.
Old 06-16-16, 12:29 AM

The June 13 episode was pretty damn funny.

The lifeguard reveal at the end cracked me up.

And the second season is missing the abundant amount of puns. There are still puns, just not as much as season one. And I like that.
Old 06-24-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually like the second season better so far, it toned down the utter over the topness of season 1 in favor of a better flow. I was cracking up during the sushi chef episode.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 10:27 PM

Yeah, I think the latest episode (the 'Mr Robot' sppof with Heather Graham) was the strongest one yet. I also believe that its a show best watched once a week, rather than bingeing on it.
Old 06-24-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked their spoof of a really terrible two people playing the same role bit from that episode. It was just the right amount of meta.

The park chase to wingsuit escape made me laugh a lot more than I would have expected.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-16 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-25-16, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I liked their spoof of a really terrible two people playing the same role bit from that episode. It was just the right amount of meta.

The park chase to wingsuit escape made me laugh a lot more than I would have expected.
Yeah, the identical twin bit was great and agree that I think they've found their footing a little bit more with this season. With so many shows focusing and trying to one-up the audience every week and deal with more serious subject matter like a lot of the top shows do, it is really nice to have a show that is going for something a bit different in the comedy landscape.

I know that it is riffing off of Naked Gun and Police Academy, but those movies are what? Like 20-30 years old? I'm happy to see a return to that brand of comedy even though it may not always reach the highs of those movies.
Old 06-26-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm making my way through s 1 now. Up to 7 I think.

Took me a few eps to get into it.

I love Police Squad and there are a few direct rips from that show.

I like AT enough to keep going though.

There is something missing from Tribeca. They need to have at least one person who knows
how absurd it all is, a straight man.
Old 07-06-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Renewed for a third season : http://deadline.com/2016/07/animal-k...bs-1201783273/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.